Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 02:27:55 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854291 times)  Share 

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1650 on: November 07, 2016, 08:45:19 pm »
Hi,
Can an EAL student study English Language this subject instead of EAL?
I've studied Units 1/2 for EAL, can I change into Units 3/4 English Language next year? Will there be a lot of challenges?
Thanks xD

Unfortunately, it is assumed that English is your primary/first language if you're doing English Language, so the same leniency and understanding in marking that may be seen in EAL won't necessarily apply here. As a result, I've never really heard of anyone doing EL if they have the option to do EAL. I don't want to totally discourage you, because your English skills might be up to scratch or you could enjoy EL a lot more. I encourage you to chat with your English teacher or the head of English at your school. Best of luck!
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

drepwns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1651 on: November 09, 2016, 07:56:00 pm »
Hey guys,

So for attendance reasons, I have received an N for Unit 2 English; although averaging 90% for my SACs all year. I've been getting real worried as to the effect an N in english can have on my record - will it have much of an affect if at all ANY affect on my study score for English Units 3/4 next year or applications for Uni? Thanks
2018-2020 - Bachelor of Biomedicine at The University of Melbourne

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1652 on: November 09, 2016, 08:03:51 pm »
Hey guys,

So for attendance reasons, I have received an N for Unit 2 English; although averaging 90% for my SACs all year. I've been getting real worried as to the effect an N in english can have on my record - will it have much of an affect if at all ANY affect on my study score for English Units 3/4 next year or applications for Uni? Thanks

i highly doubt it, i failed unit 2 methods and it had no impact on my study in units 3/4 (not sure if thats just for math) but i heard from my school that you can afford to fail either unit 1 or 2 of english and it wont adversely affect you in year 12  :)
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

Muchos Help

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1653 on: November 10, 2016, 06:43:02 pm »
Is any good English student willing to mark my language analysis.

My (new) replacement teacher who had to fill in for the rest of my year for my sick teacher gave me a C for our LA analysis outcome. I've been averaging B+/A the entire year. The people who aren't good at english in my class got higher than me, but I had the same teacher in Sem 1 Year 10 when I was pretty bad at English. The new teache appears biased against me.

It also appears that she only looked at my intro and BP1 and gave me a mark since she wrote nothing for the rest of my essay (3 pages). Whereas she annotated all over the essays for the people who she marked properly.

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1654 on: November 10, 2016, 06:45:16 pm »
+2
Is any good English student willing to mark my language analysis.

My (new) replacement teacher who had to fill in for the rest of my year for my sick teacher gave me a C for our LA analysis outcome. I've been averaging B+/A the entire year. The people who aren't good at english in my class got higher than me, but I had the same teacher in Sem 1 Year 10 when I was pretty bad at English. The new teache appears biased against me.

It also appears that she only looked at my intro and BP1 and gave me a mark since she wrote nothing for the rest of my essay (3 pages). Whereas she annotated all over the essays for the people who she marked properly.

Sure. I'm willing; idk if I count as a "good English student" though considering the fact that I still have no credentials or study score to my name. :P

Is it on the submissions board??

hola

« Reply #1655 on: November 11, 2016, 02:17:54 pm »
Hello! For the new study design, it there much change to the language analysis section? I'm assuming there is since they changed the name, but my teacher seems to be teaching it like the old design (i.e impact of language on audiences). If I'm correct, shouldn't there a more holistic approach to it; considering both argument and language?

Gogo14

• Forum Obsessive
  • when life gives you lemons... takeum and shareum
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1656 on: November 11, 2016, 09:55:39 pm »
Hello! For the new study design, it there much change to the language analysis section? I'm assuming there is since they changed the name, but my teacher seems to be teaching it like the old design (i.e impact of language on audiences). If I'm correct, shouldn't there a more holistic approach to it; considering both argument and language?
Also just to add, is there any change for context as well?
2016: Bio[45]
2017: Eng[43];Chem[47];Methods[49];Spesh[46];Physics[44]
2018+: B-Biomed @unimelb

PM if want help/advice | VCE tutoring available too- just PM

hola

« Reply #1657 on: November 11, 2016, 10:19:36 pm »
+1
Also just to add, is there any change for context as well?

That's been replaced with comparative writing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:48:08 pm by hola »

LPadlan

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Ballarat High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1658 on: November 12, 2016, 08:03:55 pm »
Hello, I am currently struggling with language analysis. My question is, when do we use argument techniques and when do we use persuasive techniques?

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #1659 on: November 12, 2016, 08:44:00 pm »
+1
Hello, I am currently struggling with language analysis. My question is, when do we use argument techniques and when do we use persuasive techniques?

Would be lovely if you could post a sample essay or elaborate on your questions. Typically in a language analysis essay, you identify the technique and relate it back to how it persuades the audience and what it does to the audience.  Your essay does not involve you trying to persuade your examiner. Hope that clears things up.
AN Chat: Hop On!

2016:Methods[   ]

thuynh

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1660 on: November 16, 2016, 08:33:17 pm »
I am planning to read my English texts for next year now. Just wondering if I should be annotating or taking notes during my first read.

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1661 on: November 16, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
I am planning to read my English texts for next year now. Just wondering if I should be annotating or taking notes during my first read.

Do a dry reading (preferably in one sitting) where you just sit, read the text and get to know the plot points, the characters, etc. Then, if you're feeling up to it, start making annotations on key themes and other key details that you feel might be useful for future essays.

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1662 on: November 16, 2016, 09:44:45 pm »
Hi all,

This may seem like a straight forward question, but is it possible to explore complex ideas (well) in English with mid-high vocabulary skills.

Often I receive feedback from my teachers that while I discuss complex ideas and go into depth with themes, I lack a high range vocabulary to thoroughly execute this.

Thanks!
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

michael leahcim

« Reply #1663 on: November 18, 2016, 01:25:09 pm »
+2
Hi all,

This may seem like a straight forward question, but is it possible to explore complex ideas (well) in English with mid-high vocabulary skills.

Often I receive feedback from my teachers that while I discuss complex ideas and go into depth with themes, I lack a high range vocabulary to thoroughly execute this.

Thanks!

While it's good to have some good vocab under your belt, it's totally fine to explore complex ideas with an average vocabulary. Just be weary about your tone, and use simple but neatly compact sentences -- and you should be on your way to a forty. Not saying English is easy like that, but if you can explain those ideas without convoluted sentences and strange expression - I don't see why you can't do well.

Also on a side note with complex ideas: I think it's an issue a lot of students face when they write English essays that their ideas become too complex for the prompt. And examiners pick up on that, to the point where it seems like they're running off-track and regurgitating essays they've already previously written. This goes for literature as well, but for English (with particular emphasis), keep it simple, smart and sharp. You can pretty much write on the most basic ideas and pull off a 9/10 with just the way you express it.

A way to break down your ideas would be to just form links, since these links build up to the contention. If you consolidate those links, writing on any prompt should be easy breezy. Be very careful though. Vocabulary is good but from my own experience of trying to expand my vocab -- you might fall into the trap of using flamboyant flamingos in favour of the easy-to-understand good stuff. But definitely look into other ways of saying 'positions the reader' etc., because that stuff will help you with essay-writing.

Focus on the meat and how you can best prepare it before putting it on platter for the nasty examiners. Ideas are great, but only when they can be understood, and this goes for whatever vocabulary you have at your disposal.

Gogo14

• Forum Obsessive
  • when life gives you lemons... takeum and shareum
« Reply #1664 on: November 21, 2016, 02:33:14 pm »
Anyone recommend any good workbooks for english next year? E.g. Checkpoints
2016: Bio[45]
2017: Eng[43];Chem[47];Methods[49];Spesh[46];Physics[44]
2018+: B-Biomed @unimelb

PM if want help/advice | VCE tutoring available too- just PM