Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 11:00:22 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854244 times)  Share 

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1755 on: March 29, 2017, 09:38:53 pm »
Tips on creative writing.
Apart from practising and gaining feedback what can i do?

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1756 on: March 29, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »
So a method if improving your English is to read your essay and high scoring essays line by line and trying to dissect what makes it good?
How on earth do i do this excatly? Rubric? But it seems vague and hard to understand. Please help
Illy ❤️

waterangel82

• Forum Regular
  • 'The world is quiet here.'
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #1757 on: April 01, 2017, 10:33:36 am »
Hi guys,

I have posted one of my practice pieces for Argument Analysis. Is it alright if someone can mark it and give me some feedback? We have a SAC on this the second week of next term, and I feel like though I'm very much screwed. By the way, I have attached the two articles. Thanks!

So here's my piece:

The issue of the legislation by the Queensland Government to deregister vehicles with offensive advertisements has recently caused much debate, in particular towards those who are concerned that their ‘freedom of speech’ is being undermined. The newly formed legislation seeks to target such companies which uses vehicles with indecent slogans, such as the well-known ‘Wicked Campers’. The online blog ‘Wicked Games’ by journalist Clementine Ford contends that the Queensland Government’s legislation to prevent companies from emblazoning such slogans onto their vehicles is the right choice. She argues critically that society cannot tolerate slogans that normalise violence and social segregation, mainly aiming to target an audience of female rights supporters. However, Victorian Greens MP Nina Springle’s Huffington Post Blog ‘Other States Must Buy-In To Queensland’s Wicked New Legislation’, published on the 29th July 2016, extends on Ford’s contention, and seeks to target people with left-wing ideologies. She addresses that while the Queensland Government’s legislation is indeed an ‘ingenious solution’, other states, including Victoria, must also act against such companies that have vehicles which advertise such slogans.

Like many opinion pieces in blogs, Ford immediately establishes her frustrated and outraged tone in her piece. She argues that although companies such as the Wicked Campers may believe their offensive slogans to be a form of ‘comedy’, such ‘jokes’ are not acceptable because they only seek to undermine those who are being targeted. She opens her piece with the pun in the headline ‘Wicked Games’, derived from the name of the ‘Wicked’ Campers, seeking to make readers to become aware of her stance that the promotion of the inappropriate advertisements is more than cruel, but a ‘wicked’ act that normalises violence in society. She continues to build upon her argument through the rhetorical question ‘So you think the Wicked Campers ruling is a win for the wowsers?’. By addressing her readers directly with the word ‘you’, Ford encourages them to feel personally invested in the issue of the legislation against offensive advertisements on vehicles in an accusatory manner, positioning them to feel guilty if they oppose her stance, hence encouraging them to accept her argument. Through descriptions companies such as the Wicked Campers as through the use of emotive words such as ‘feral’, she paints these companies in a negative manner by contributing to an impression that they uneducated and lack humanity, positioning her readers to feel disgusted by the actions of these companies and recognise the importance of the Government’s new legislation. Although Ford initially agrees that although there may be a limit in ‘freedom of speech’ and an ‘apparent death of ‘comedy’’ that comes with the legislation in a sarcastic manner, she argues that such jokes are not ‘new or interesting’, but are instead ‘hackneyed tropes’ that seeks to victimise those who are in ‘less power’. By painting such companies and people who make offensive comments as bullies, Ford positions her readers to feel an alarming sense of guilt if they have made such ‘jokes’ themselves. She reasons that people make such offensive comments because the violence ‘will never form a reality in their own lives’ and by providing examples that often women, Indigenous people and people with disabilities are often at the of these ‘jokes’. As such, Ford conveys that the impacts that such comments can have are very pervasive, positioning her readers to agree with her stance for the legislation.  By doing so, Ford reinforces her argument that the decision to reinforce the new legislation is very important as society can no longer tolerate companies advertising such offensive slogans that promote violence and undermine those considered with less power.

Ford continues to build upon her case by providing other examples, primarily to do with the misogynistic power of the slogans promoted by such companies. She argues that the advertisements made by the Wicked Campers are not only misogynistic, but also seeks to normalise misogyny, resulting in women’s personal safety being undermined from men’s misuse of their power. Through deductive reasoning that men have ‘nothing to fear from women’ Ford seeks to establish a negative image of men by painting them as having absolute control over women, positioning her female readers to feel a sense of sympathy towards her stance. By tying this image with the exaggeration that women ‘are beaten, raped and killed in huge numbers’ and the use of inclusive language ‘us’, she argues that women are nearly always the centre of the violence inflicted by men, encouraging her female readers to feel a sense of alarm and fear as they are characterised as easy victims of such violence. By undermining men with such an overstatement, Ford seeks to directly attack the Wicked Campers company as the misogynistic slogans are made by men, positioning her female readers to share her sense of outrage towards the actions of such companies. She continues to reinforce this argument by providing numerous other generalised examples the violence that men have inflicted towards women throughout time, employing highly emotive language such as ‘sex slaves’ and ‘murdered’, depicting all women as being victims of violence arising from misogyny. Hence, by positioning her readers to feel a sense of anger towards the misogyny of the advertisements made by the Wicked Campers, Ford once again supports her contention that the legislation is necessary, as it helps to stop such misogyny.

Similar to Ford’s opinion piece, Nina Springle’s opinion piece in the Huffington Post Blog also stresses the importance of the Queensland Government’s new legislation. In a more reasoned tone the Ford, she argues that inciting violence in the form of a joke is not ‘freedom of speech.’ Through the use of logic by highlighting that there is no clear definition of what is considered as freedom of speech and that Australia is deemed to be a ‘multicultural’ society with ‘equal respect’ between both genders, Springle not only seeks to undermine those who are against her stance, but also positions her readers to realise that there is no valid reason to allow such slogans as they only seek to promote violence and hatred. However, unlike Ford, Springle emphasises the detrimental effects the offensive slogans could have on children. By appealing to family values through the descriptions that children will ‘repeat them [the offensive slogans] in the playground’ and parents having to ‘field uncomfortable questions’, she seeks to target parent’s natural desire to protect their children. Furthermore, through the photograph depicting two Wicked Campers vehicles, with one having a slogan ‘If you can’t do it naked, it’s not worth doing!’, Springle provides credibility towards her argument as readers are made aware that such slogans do exist. By connecting the appeal with the photograph, Springle positions readers to agree with her stance on the new legislation being an appropriate solution, reinforcing her argument that offensive advertisements and jokes are not ‘freedom of speech’. 

However, whilst Ford emphasises that the new legislation is necessary to prevent the Wicked Campers company from promoting misogyny, Springle argues that all states also need to establish a similar legislation to Queensland. Through the use of an anecdote that she once received a response letter from the Victorian Minister for the Prevention of Family Violence, who ‘could not address the issue’ because the Advertising Standard Board is in charge of such issues, she provides a real life example of the lack of responsibility by the Victorian Government towards preventing companies from advertising such slogans. This positions the readers to feel a sense of urgency towards the need to establish a similar legislation in Victoria, and also a sense of anger as they are made aware of the Government’s lack of action to tackle such concerning issues. She continues to build upon her argument by attacking the Advertising Standards Board with the use of the metaphor that it ‘is essentially a toothless tiger’, suggesting that the Board has almost no power when it comes to deciding companies that have breached its rules, as the Wicked Campers will ‘ensure that its vehicles are registered interstate’. This dramatic comparison seeks to evoke a sense of urgency amongst readers, inclining them to agree with the Springle that there must be another alternative to stop the Wicked Campers from advertising their slogans in Victoria. By doing so, Springle reinforces her argument that other states must consider a similar legislation to Queensland to stop the Wicked Campers from promoting its offensive slogans. 

Both Ford and Springle agree that the Queensland Government’s new legislation to deregister vehicles with offensive advertisement is a necessary act. Nevertheless, each piece comes to the debate from a different perspective and presents a different overall contention. Ford takes on a more critical approach towards the importance of the legislation, arguing that society can no longer tolerate offensive advertisements that promote violence and misogyny. However, Springle, in a more reasoned manner, extends on this view, arguing that all other states and territories must also introduce a similar legislation to prevent companies such as the Wicked Campers from advertising their slogans more efficiently.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:37:26 am by waterangel82 »
2017 ATAR: 99.20

lovebiology

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1758 on: April 05, 2017, 06:14:31 pm »
Hi, I am working through past VCAA essay prompts on Medea. I really don't know how to start the topic "Medea is about extremes of human emotion. Discuss." Like where should I start?

Moist

• Adventurer
« Reply #1759 on: April 05, 2017, 10:47:31 pm »
+1
How do you write a written explanation for a creative SAC? Dont know how to structure it and what to include. Thanks

Structure I was taught was to begin with the author's idea that your creative piece extends on. From here, you offer your perspective on the this idea, follow with a link to audience and purpose then an explanation of your choices, including things like why you chosen a specific form or used a literary device. Number one rule when writing the explanation though is to always link back to your idea as, ideally, your piece should be similarly centered around it too.   

Hi, I am working through past VCAA essay prompts on Medea. I really don't know how to start the topic "Medea is about extremes of human emotion. Discuss." Like where should I start?

We haven't studied Medea yet at my school but first thing I would do is to define "emotions" in the context of the play. Ask yourself questions like: what are the emotions displayed? What happens when you display no emotion? What happens when you display too much emotion? From here, you'll eventually segue into asking yourself "what is Euripides saying about this?", wherein your answer will form the basis of your essay.

Question of my own, that is more particularly directed at Lauren, but I was just reading the sample argument analysis posted on the Facebook page and I was a bit confused about how it was structured. Could someone explain it to me, and also, would it be okay to use such structure for comparative essays?

Thanks in advance for all help.  :) :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:57:54 pm by Moist »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #1760 on: April 06, 2017, 07:35:23 am »
+3
Question of my own, that is more particularly directed at Lauren, but I was just reading the sample argument analysis posted on the Facebook page and I was a bit confused about how it was structured. Could someone explain it to me, and also, would it be okay to use such structure for comparative essays?

Thanks in advance for all help.  :) :)
Hey hey!

I've always had a very fluid/malleable approach to essay structure since I prefer essays that flow from one point to the next over ones that stick to anything too rigid or repetitive, but my recommendation for argument analysis is that you go by sub-arguments! So each of your paragraphs is centred around an idea or 'thing' (what I call a 'key player' = something the author positions in a certain way to strengthen their contention) and all you have to do is discuss the various language features that support that sub-argument.

So for the sample piece on the facebook page, I had:
   - Paragraph 1: the importance of biodiversity and why it is vulnerable and in need of preservation (+ 1st visual, since it deals with this same sentiment)
   - Paragraph 2: the dangers of inaction and the damaging repercussions this can have
   - Paragraph 3: the need for honest reappraisal of the situation and for a genuine commitment to tangible goals (+ 2nd visual, since it can be linked to this idea too)

Each of these things bolsters the author's contention in some way, so splitting the piece up like this has always helped me feel like I'm achieving a better coverage of the piece instead of just going through it chronologically or structuring things via techniques/tone etc.

That said, this is by no means the only way of doing things! If you look through previous years' assessment reports, you'll find a whole range of methods that students have used to score highly. It's all about how well you execute whatever strategy you're implementing :)

Moist

• Adventurer
« Reply #1761 on: April 06, 2017, 07:51:43 am »
Hey hey!

I've always had a very fluid/malleable approach to essay structure since I prefer essays that flow from one point to the next over ones that stick to anything too rigid or repetitive, but my recommendation for argument analysis is that you go by sub-arguments! So each of your paragraphs is centred around an idea or 'thing' (what I call a 'key player' = something the author positions in a certain way to strengthen their contention) and all you have to do is discuss the various language features that support that sub-argument.

So for the sample piece on the facebook page, I had:
   - Paragraph 1: the importance of biodiversity and why it is vulnerable and in need of preservation (+ 1st visual, since it deals with this same sentiment)
   - Paragraph 2: the dangers of inaction and the damaging repercussions this can have
   - Paragraph 3: the need for honest reappraisal of the situation and for a genuine commitment to tangible goals (+ 2nd visual, since it can be linked to this idea too)

Each of these things bolsters the author's contention in some way, so splitting the piece up like this has always helped me feel like I'm achieving a better coverage of the piece instead of just going through it chronologically or structuring things via techniques/tone etc.

That said, this is by no means the only way of doing things! If you look through previous years' assessment reports, you'll find a whole range of methods that students have used to score highly. It's all about how well you execute whatever strategy you're implementing :)

Hey Lauren, thanks for the reply. I have one more question: what structure would you recommend for comparing articles? Since won't it be too clunky to use this sub-arguments approach given that they'll most likely won't be the same for both pieces?

Again, thanks for all help.  :) :D

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1762 on: April 06, 2017, 07:57:51 am »
+1
Hey Lauren, thanks for the reply. I have one more question: what structure would you recommend for comparing articles? Since won't it be too clunky to use this sub-arguments approach given that they'll most likely won't be the same for both pieces?

Again, thanks for all help.  :) :D
Oh yeah! Totally forgot to address your actual question ::)

Yes, the reason I mentioned incorporating the visuals is because this approach allows you to blend the material waaaay easier than a chronological approach. As you've said, the sub-arguments (or rather, what the sub-arguments are about) will likely be the same across multiple texts, since the authors will be discussing the same issue. Though you might end up with something like a paragraph on 'the detrimental consequences of the proposal' where one author discusses environmental concerns and another one discusses economic or ethical implications. But all you'd have to do would be to analyse the first one and then say 'By contrast, Author B bitterly argues that the more serious consequences are fiscal ones...' to create a link.

Hope that makes sense!

Here's a somewhat messy example I did of the 2015 exam :)

Moist

• Adventurer
« Reply #1763 on: April 06, 2017, 08:22:33 am »
Oh yeah! Totally forgot to address your actual question ::)

Yes, the reason I mentioned incorporating the visuals is because this approach allows you to blend the material waaaay easier than a chronological approach. As you've said, the sub-arguments (or rather, what the sub-arguments are about) will likely be the same across multiple texts, since the authors will be discussing the same issue. Though you might end up with something like a paragraph on 'the detrimental consequences of the proposal' where one author discusses environmental concerns and another one discusses economic or ethical implications. But all you'd have to do would be to analyse the first one and then say 'By contrast, Author B bitterly argues that the more serious consequences are fiscal ones...' to create a link.

Hope that makes sense!

Here's a somewhat messy example I did of the 2015 exam :)

Oh whoopsies, sort of phrased my question wrong (sorry); I was going to ask about how would structure an analysis where the sub-arguments differ entirely from each other but still address the same issue? For example, still going with the climate change topic, what would I do if there's an article that argues that more action needs to taken otherwise everyone'll die, and another that goes off on a tangent and asserts that current passivity in addressing the issue demonstrates this generation's selfishness? Since won't it be essentially impossible to group them by sub-arguments given that they have entirely different contentions?

Anyways, thanks for your answer, it helped clear up a few of my other questions :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:02:42 am by Moist »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1764 on: April 06, 2017, 08:37:22 am »
+3
Oh whoopsies, sort of phrased my question wrong (sorry); I was going to ask about how would structure an analysis where the sub-arguments differ entirely from each other but still address the same issue? For example, still going with the climate change topic, what would I do if there's an article that argues that more action needs to taken otherwise everyone'll die, and another that goes off on a tangent and asserts that current passivity in addressing the issue demonstrates this generation's selfishness? Since won't it be essentially impossible to group them by sub-arguments given that they have entirely different contentions?

Anyways, thanks for your answer, it helped clear up a few of my other questions :)
Good question - VCAA will rarely give you anything that's too disparate since it makes it really hard to analyse, but there'll usually be some kind of connections to be made. To take your example, you could write a paragraph about 'why our response to global warming is important' (since the first article would be saying it's an urgent, life-or-death matter, and the second is saying that our response reflects our inner character and we should be more conscious of the consequences of our actions) and then one paragraph on 'personal responsibility' (with the first article presumably saying that everyone needs to do their part to avert the impending doom of climate change, and the second talking about why integrity and global awareness are vital traits for future generations to come to terms with), and maybe one on the idea of 'opportunity' (with the first saying 'this is our last opportunity to fix things!' and the second saying 'this is our opportunity to rise to this challenge and shake off that passivity/inaction) etc.

Importantly, though, if you're ever in a situation where you can't find 3 or 4 tenable sub-arguments to discuss, it's worth having another approach as a back-up option. When I had to analyse the 2011 exam piece for homework once, I couldn't find a realistic way to deal with the material (one blog post, two visuals, and four blog comments - each about entirely separate matters ::) ) so I just separated it into three roughly equal chunks and tried to just analyse whatever I could.

The sub-argument approach is a great first resort, but if you get dealt exceptionally difficult material, by all means find another more accessible way to break stuff down :)

Moist

• Adventurer
« Reply #1765 on: April 06, 2017, 08:50:10 am »
Good question - VCAA will rarely give you anything that's too disparate since it makes it really hard to analyse, but there'll usually be some kind of connections to be made. To take your example, you could write a paragraph about 'why our response to global warming is important' (since the first article would be saying it's an urgent, life-or-death matter, and the second is saying that our response reflects our inner character and we should be more conscious of the consequences of our actions) and then one paragraph on 'personal responsibility' (with the first article presumably saying that everyone needs to do their part to avert the impending doom of climate change, and the second talking about why integrity and global awareness are vital traits for future generations to come to terms with), and maybe one on the idea of 'opportunity' (with the first saying 'this is our last opportunity to fix things!' and the second saying 'this is our opportunity to rise to this challenge and shake off that passivity/inaction) etc.

Importantly, though, if you're ever in a situation where you can't find 3 or 4 tenable sub-arguments to discuss, it's worth having another approach as a back-up option. When I had to analyse the 2011 exam piece for homework once, I couldn't find a realistic way to deal with the material (one blog post, two visuals, and four blog comments - each about entirely separate matters ::) ) so I just separated it into three roughly equal chunks and tried to just analyse whatever I could.

The sub-argument approach is a great first resort, but if you get dealt exceptionally difficult material, by all means find another more accessible way to break stuff down :)

Thank you!! One more last last question: what do you mean by "three roughly equal chunks" - did you have one paragraph for the blogpost, another for the visual and the last one for the comments? Or was it something like: 1) blog post + a bit of relevant stuff from the visual 2) comments + some woven-in analysis of the post 3) visuals + comments?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1766 on: April 06, 2017, 08:57:14 am »
+3
Thank you!! One more last last question: what do you mean by "three roughly equal chunks" - did you have one paragraph for the blogpost, another for the visual and the last one for the comments? Or was it something like: 1) blog post + a bit of relevant stuff from the visual 2) comments + some woven-in analysis of the post 3) visuals + comments?
The latter! :) It would've been tough to cram the whole blog post into just one paragraph whilst also stretching out analysis of the visual for one paragraph, and then erratically jumping between four different comments for the last paragraph.

Golden rule: let the spread of your analysis reflect the spread of the material!

The blog post that year was about a page long, the images were two tiny little rectangles, and the comments took up about a third of a page's worth of space. So spending one paragraph on each 'part' would've made the essay feel very imbalanced... which you can lose marks for. So making some effort to integrate your analysis is usually a huge advantage - even if all you do is talk about the written and visual texts in the same paragraph, you'll be in better stead than those who just leave the visual for the end and talk about it in isolation. The assessors will be looking for your ability to make some connections across the stuff they've given you - not at the expense of analysis, but certainly once or twice in an average paragraph :)

pixonman

• Adventurer
« Reply #1767 on: April 07, 2017, 12:48:41 pm »
How do you write a good short story in english

r3my

« Reply #1768 on: April 07, 2017, 02:21:50 pm »
+4
How do you write a good short story in english

All good creative writing, whether it be monologue, play or in your case short story, begins with a central idea or an overall message that you're trying to convey. All your choices such as literary techniques used, chosen form or plot should be geared towards expressing this idea. Don't aim for creative or writing flair as often you'll end up with a piece that lacks direction and seems confused. Needless to say though, also avoid making it totally dry and boring as you still have to keep your marker somewhat interested. :P

(this is at least what I've been taught - your teacher could expect something entirely different)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:27:21 pm by r3my »

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1769 on: April 07, 2017, 07:41:28 pm »
For a comparative language/argument analysis, should I be analysing all three letters to the editor, for example? Or should I just analyse one or two with the article given?

Thanks  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale