Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:12:23 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854276 times)  Share 

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1770 on: April 08, 2017, 11:07:31 pm »
How do i incoprate argument techniques ( ad hominon/ strawman's fallacy etc) into my language analysis essay. It would be great if someone could provide an exmaple and help me out as i am really struggling to get my head around this. Thnx in advance

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1771 on: April 09, 2017, 09:57:38 am »
+3
For a comparative language/argument analysis, should I be analysing all three letters to the editor, for example? Or should I just analyse one or two with the article given?

Thanks  :)

To be safe, you should be analysing all three.

How do i incoprate argument techniques ( ad hominon/ strawman's fallacy etc) into my language analysis essay. It would be great if someone could provide an exmaple and help me out as i am really struggling to get my head around this. Thnx in advance

Tbh don't bother; fancy argument techniques will only get you so far. At the end of the day, it's your elaboration and explanation that'll get you marks as an assessor doesn't really mark you based on how fancy your techniques are.

(I know, it's been a month since I last posted, where the heck have I been? Drowning in uni assignments  :'( )

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1772 on: April 09, 2017, 12:44:23 pm »
To be safe, you should be analysing all three.

Tbh don't bother; fancy argument techniques will only get you so far. At the end of the day, it's your elaboration and explanation that'll get you marks as an assessor doesn't really mark you based on how fancy your techniques are.

(I know, it's been a month since I last posted, where the heck have I been? Drowning in uni assignments  :'( )

Really i got told that the new study design wants us to focus more on how the arguments are made/presented rather than the persuasive techniques?

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1773 on: April 09, 2017, 11:21:50 pm »
How do u write a creative wirting peice for my next sac

ImmaculateJeff

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1774 on: April 16, 2017, 09:23:41 pm »
How would schools turn Frankenstein into creative? like what would we have to do for its sac and shit?

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #1775 on: April 16, 2017, 09:35:19 pm »
How would schools turn Frankenstein into creative? like what would we have to do for its sac and shit?
My school gives us pretty open ended essay topics. Potential topics includes stuff like creating a new chapter inside the story or doing a creative on the stuff before or after the events in the book. Other topics include stuff like retelling parts of the book from another person's perspective. For creative I'm pretty sure that most schools will let you do whatever you like or give you topics where you can do pretty much anything.

ImmaculateJeff

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1776 on: April 16, 2017, 09:44:11 pm »
My school gives us pretty open ended essay topics. Potential topics includes stuff like creating a new chapter inside the story or doing a creative on the stuff before or after the events in the book. Other topics include stuff like retelling parts of the book from another person's perspective. For creative I'm pretty sure that most schools will let you do whatever you like or give you topics where you can do pretty much anything.

ohhk thanks! :)

Max Kawasakii

• Trailblazer
  • Just try and stop me
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1777 on: April 16, 2017, 10:04:48 pm »
I need someone to objective and honest when answering my question, lets just say 'hypothetically' on my language analysis sac I scored 7/10, hypothetically... If had aspirations of achieving a 40+ SS, should I just kick those hopes to the curb and strap my self in for a depressing outcome? Or by the lords is my dream still as realistic as I wish it to be? I'm genuinely distraught, I did so many practice essays, was getting great scores 36/40 on average, some higher! Then the actual sac came, I stressed, ran out of time, cut my analysis to the response short, did a whole lot of wrongs, and my score reflected this.

TLDR: Got 7/10 on my language analysis, have I rooted my dream of a 40+ SS? Thanks in advance to my harbinger of good news..
'Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.' - Albert Einstein

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1778 on: April 16, 2017, 10:17:58 pm »
+3
I need someone to objective and honest when answering my question, lets just say 'hypothetically' on my language analysis sac I scored 7/10, hypothetically... If had aspirations of achieving a 40+ SS, should I just kick those hopes to the curb and strap my self in for a depressing outcome? Or by the lords is my dream still as realistic as I wish it to be? I'm genuinely distraught, I did so many practice essays, was getting great scores 36/40 on average, some higher! Then the actual sac came, I stressed, ran out of time, cut my analysis to the response short, did a whole lot of wrongs, and my score reflected this.

TLDR: Got 7/10 on my language analysis, have I rooted my dream of a 40+ SS? Thanks in advance to my harbinger of good news..
I've heard someone at my school get a 50 with one SAC as a B and another person getting a 47 with one C+ SAC, but these are people who aced the rest of their SACs and the exam. Basically, one single SAC will not determine your whole study score and as long as you try hard and ace the rest of your SACs (ranking highly by the end of the year in your cohort in your SACs) and ace the exam, then 40+ is definitely achievable. I'd say 45+ and maybe even 50 is still achievable provided you ace everything else.

vcestressed

« Reply #1779 on: April 16, 2017, 10:53:19 pm »
Hey Guys,
So I have a persuasive speech coming up really soon and my topic is surrogacy. My aim is to persuade the audience that surrogacy should be allowed in Australia. I've written the speech and I am happy with everything except my introduction. In school debates, I start with a really important and attention grabbing phrase, but with a topic like surrogacy, I am really stuck. I want to make the first thing I say conspicuous. Right now, my introduction is really boring  as it just states what surrogacy is and its problems etc etc and I really need some ideas. Thanks in advance! :'')

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1780 on: April 17, 2017, 04:08:15 pm »
+2
Hey Guys,
So I have a persuasive speech coming up really soon and my topic is surrogacy. My aim is to persuade the audience that surrogacy should be allowed in Australia. I've written the speech and I am happy with everything except my introduction. In school debates, I start with a really important and attention grabbing phrase, but with a topic like surrogacy, I am really stuck. I want to make the first thing I say conspicuous. Right now, my introduction is really boring  as it just states what surrogacy is and its problems etc etc and I really need some ideas. Thanks in advance! :'')
I'm really not sure what to say either, but maybe start with a statistic like one in something people are not able to have children and then proceed to elicit sympathy from the audience to those people. Or you could start with the stereotypical close your eyes and imagine if you were in their situation.

vcestressed

« Reply #1781 on: April 17, 2017, 04:42:53 pm »
I'm really not sure what to say either, but maybe start with a statistic like one in something people are not able to have children and then proceed to elicit sympathy from the audience to those people. Or you could start with the stereotypical close your eyes and imagine if you were in their situation.
i think the 'close your eyes and imagine. . . ' would work perfectly! Thank you zhen!!

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1782 on: April 22, 2017, 12:39:52 pm »
Hey ATARNOTES so I have a language analysis sac on Monday and I've done about 4 Practice Sacs in preperation. With the grades I've received being, 80%, 70%, 60% and 70% again. My problem is that in my old school, I moved this year so this is my first and last year at this new school I always got 90%+ on my lang analysis and have always been a good english student. This isnt because the school i went to was bad. It has a higher ranking then the school I go to currently as it was a top private school. Anyways the teacher doesnt think Im a good student and has basically told me to just focus on the next sac (text response) so basically "give up" on this. The biggest problem with this is i recieved a 57% on my creative piece so I really REALLY can't afford to drop off again. I really don't know what to do as I know english is extremely important and my ranking is already super low. The SAC is worth 40 marks so its super important :(

lovebiology

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1783 on: April 22, 2017, 04:09:41 pm »
Hi, for the topic ‘The play Medea is more about justice than revenge.’ Discuss. How should i start it? i am so confused... Thanks!

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1784 on: April 22, 2017, 05:40:26 pm »
+1
Hi, for the topic ‘The play Medea is more about justice than revenge.’ Discuss. How should i start it? i am so confused... Thanks!
I think for this topic the main idea is to discuss whether or not you think that Medea's actions are an act of justice or revenge. To start a text response essay, it's always a good idea to introduce the book and the ideas you're exploring. A stereotypical starting sentence is Set against the backdrop of ...... Euripides' Medea explores the notion of....