Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 09:48:26 am

Author Topic: Torque/speed of motor relation  (Read 1307 times)  Share 

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Torque/speed of motor relation
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:14:25 pm »
Just encountered a question which has led me to absolute craziness. I simply don't understand the relation between the speed of a motor and the torque generated. The question is "Comment on the magnitude of the torque of a motor when its velocity is constant". Someone pleaaaase explain.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Torque/speed of motor relation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 07:32:20 pm »
+2
Just encountered a question which has led me to absolute craziness. I simply don't understand the relation between the speed of a motor and the torque generated. The question is "Comment on the magnitude of the torque of a motor when its velocity is constant". Someone pleaaaase explain.

Hey! Cool little question this, really highlights a critical aspect of motors! Pretty easy if you break it down:

- Constant angular velocity means that there is no angular acceleration
- By F=ma (or in an angular sense, \(\tau=m\alpha\)), no angular acceleration means no angular force.
- Angular force is torque! So if a motor is turning at a constant speed (with no load attached), then that motor isn't generating any significant torque. There might be a little, to overcome friction ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:14:35 pm by jamonwindeyer »

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 08:11:36 pm »
Hey! Cool little question this, really highlights a critical aspect of motors! Pretty easy if you break it down:

- Constant angular velocity means that there is no angular acceleration
- By F=ma (or in an angular sense, \(\tau=m\omega\)), no angular acceleration means no angular force.
- Angular force is torque! So if a motor is turning at a constant speed (with no load attached), then that motor isn't generating any significant torque. There might be a little, to overcome friction ;D
That makes a lot more sense! Just to make sure, can F = ma be applied to all phenomena involving force? I'm trying to break this down. I understand that if a = 0 then F = 0, but I want to make sure that based on T = Fd, I can write it as T = (ma)d? and hence show that Torque is basically 0? Or is the 'F' from T = Fd basically coming from F = BILSin(x)?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 08:19:41 pm »
+1
That makes a lot more sense! Just to make sure, can F = ma be applied to all phenomena involving force? I'm trying to break this down. I understand that if a = 0 then F = 0, but I want to make sure that based on T = Fd, I can write it as T = (ma)d? and hence show that Torque is basically 0? Or is the 'F' from T = Fd basically coming from F = BILSin(x)?

You can't really write that. The issue is the \(m\). The \(m\) isn't the same for the angular version, the real thing is actually:

Where \(\tau\) is torque, \(\alpha\) is angular acceleration, and \(I\) is the moment of inertia. This is just a quantity analogous to mass in linear problems - There are formulas that let you calculate \(I\) for certain objects, but they (and all this message) are not assessable ;D

The angular acceleration and \(a\) are also different! Writing \(\tau=Mad\) is basically saying, if I have a mass accelerating at a certain rate, and tie it to something else at a set distance that then causes it to spin, then you get torque. But \(a\neq\alpha\), and \(m\neq I\), because one is linear and one is rotational ;D

(Again, not assessable! This is uni stuff ;D)

You can apply the idea in principal even without the maths though. No angular acceleration means no angular force, which means no torque (same thing) ;D

Oh, and the force in the torque formula does come from \(F=BIL\sin{\theta}\) in a motor, but since you've got multiple sides and varying angles as the motor spins, you can't say, \(\tau=BIL\sin{\theta}\times d\) :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:21:33 pm by jamonwindeyer »

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:45:17 pm »
You can't really write that. The issue is the \(m\). The \(m\) isn't the same for the angular version, the real thing is actually:

Where \(\tau\) is torque, \(\alpha\) is angular acceleration, and \(I\) is the moment of inertia. This is just a quantity analogous to mass in linear problems - There are formulas that let you calculate \(I\) for certain objects, but they (and all this message) are not assessable ;D

The angular acceleration and \(a\) are also different! Writing \(\tau=Mad\) is basically saying, if I have a mass accelerating at a certain rate, and tie it to something else at a set distance that then causes it to spin, then you get torque. But \(a\neq\alpha\), and \(m\neq I\), because one is linear and one is rotational ;D

(Again, not assessable! This is uni stuff ;D)

You can apply the idea in principal even without the maths though. No angular acceleration means no angular force, which means no torque (same thing) ;D

Oh, and the force in the torque formula does come from \(F=BIL\sin{\theta}\) in a motor, but since you've got multiple sides and varying angles as the motor spins, you can't say, \(\tau=BIL\sin{\theta}\times d\) :)
Okay, that makes an incredibly greater amount of sense! I fully understand your point, thank you so much for helping me through this!