Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:08:58 pm

Author Topic: Can you argue against completely to"To an extent" question?  (Read 1718 times)

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Can you argue against completely to"To an extent" question?
« on: October 11, 2016, 12:22:23 am »
There was a question that was
"To what extent do the texts you have studied in this elective support this view? In your response, refer to your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing."

Can i argue completely against the question?
or do i have to agree a bit then argue against?

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Can you argue against completely to"To an extent" question?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:07:28 am »
"To what extent do the texts you have studied in this elective support this view? In your response, refer to your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing."

Hey vincent,
You must agree to some extent. This is the only question in which you have to partly agree to.

Say the statement was "Not all discoveries are good, but they are all intensely meaningful".

You could argue that all discoveries are good as well as intensely meaningful. Or you could argue that not all discoveries are good nor intensely meaningful. Or you could argue halfway — not alll discoveries are good, but some of them are intensely meaningful.

You cannot simply disagree with the question in a "to what extent" though. However, you can agree or disagree strongly. Just not completely.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:05:17 am »

In principle, you CAN argue completely one way. I have to suggest not doing that though; a thesis is more nuanced if you discuss both sides of the argument!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 03:15:47 pm »
Hey vincent,
You must agree to some extent. This is the only question in which you have to partly agree to.

Say the statement was "Not all discoveries are good, but they are all intensely meaningful".

You could argue that all discoveries are good as well as intensely meaningful. Or you could argue that not all discoveries are good nor intensely meaningful. Or you could argue halfway — not alll discoveries are good, but some of them are intensely meaningful.

You cannot simply disagree with the question in a "to what extent" though. However, you can agree or disagree strongly. Just not completely.

i see, thanks guys. makes more sense now

vyca

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »
I guess uou can play against it by saying like to a "partial, limited, small, lesser marginal etc." extent