Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 28, 2024, 04:26:53 pm

Author Topic: My HSC Journal  (Read 11488 times)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: My HSC Journal
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 07:31:46 pm »
+1
Congrats on that amazing mark!!! Well done! (And how good is this journal thing? You'll look back on this journal and your year and see how quickly it's all gone!)

Story on how I thought I bombed an exam and actually killed it: my HSC Legal exam - thought the highest I could get was 80, but my marks ended up pushing my overall mark to a Band 6 (my projected mark was high Band 5!)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 11:46:49 pm »

Hey everyone!
There's under a week until my first exam and I am both terrified but can't be bothered at the same time which is kind of scary. English, Religion and I think Music all weigh 10% and Genny Maths weighing a whopping 30%!!!! Maths is definately the exam I'm most worried for as it is by far my weakest subject!

Okay rant time .....
So, the other week we had a listening task on Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince and you had to link it to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. It had a 5 marker based directly off of the excerpt you were listening to and then a 15 marker where you had to bring in your knowledge from Julius Caesar to enhance it and rah rah rah. When I went out of the exam I was absolutely guttered with how I went as I didn't think I understood or answered the question correctly. When my teacher was handing them out in class yesterday I was mentally preparing for 70% which is still a good mark but not as good as I would like. She gave mine back, mark down on the table and I slowly lifted it up to see I GOT 95%!!!!! I was honestly shook and didn't think I deserved it.

I'm glad and thankful that I have this little journal thing where I can be proud of myself and just rant because at school lots of people were disapointed with their result so I didn't want to tell them mine cause then they'd feel even worse.

Anyone else have any stories where they thought they bombed out but actually killed it? (or vise versa??)

Thanks guys xxx

HAHAHAHAHAH YES OMG!! My first Advanced English assessment of Year 12 was weighted 30% (AOS half unseen texts/half creative) and I legit walked out of the short answers thinking I did well, but then my friends, who were all discussing their responses to the last mini essay style question (5 marker), kept mentioning the "text you had to do" - what. So basically what had happened was, in the last question of discovery in the short answers, you had to analyse text 4 and another of your own choosing - I had just read the actual discovery statement and assumed I could use any - so I did text 1 and 3. In that moment, I was GENUINELY preparing for a 70% or something because I probably 3 marks already, so the max I could get for that section was 12 - and that was, assuming I got full marks on the rest which I was not too confident about to begin with. I was so mad at myself for fucking up for first English assessment, but I came to accept my fate of 70%. What's worse is, I also thought my creative was also horrendous - I handed in multiple drafts but for some reason I never reached a point of entire satisfaction with it. So anyway, results for all my subjects start coming back and I had gotten 85+ in all my subjects which I was elated with but I knew English would completely destroy that. All my high achieving friends were feeling so sorry for me. Come day of results, my teacher asks me to hand out the papers and everyone's getting single digits for the short answers, so I knew I was fucked. And wtf, I look at mine and it has a 12/15. WHAT THE HELLL. (ok it's not that good but given the circumstances it was most definitely was) I literally screamed at my friend to share my relief "DUDE I GOT 12", to which she responded "I got 7..." Mind you, she had completely the paper confidently and had ranked 3rd in Advanced English last year. Immediately I felt terrible but I couldn't fathom how she got so low when that never ever happened. Then I awkwardly returned to desk, which had my creative on it, so I kinda hesitated to sit but fuck I got 14/15 on it - 93%. I was legit shook. My marks for English Advanced totalled out to 87%, which made me rank 2nd overall. That was probably one of the best days of my life. I've never been one of those people who say "I failed this" and end up acing it, I always think I fail and actually fail. But for that not to happen, was truly a blessing to my soul.

Another instance is when I got thrown a complete curveball in Legal. I legit thought my essay was so shitty but I got 100%. I literally screamed "THIS MUST BE A MISTAKE!!!" Now I'm ranked 1st HAHAHAHHA
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 07:21:58 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAH YES OMG!! My first Advanced English assessment of Year 12 was weighted 30% (AOS half unseen texts/half creative) and I legit walked out of the short answers thinking I did well, but then my friends, who were all discussing their responses to the last mini essay style question (5 marker), kept mentioning the "text you had to do" - what. So basically what had happened was, in the last question of discovery in the short answers, you had to analyse text 4 and another of your own choosing - I had just read the actual discovery statement and assumed I could use any - so I did text 1 and 3. In that moment, I was GENUINELY preparing for a 70% or something because I probably 3 marks already, so the max I could get for that section was 12 - and that was, assuming I got full marks on the rest which I was not too confident about to begin with. I was so mad at myself for fucking up for first English assessment, but I came to accept my fate of 70%. What's worse is, I also thought my creative was also horrendous - I handed in multiple drafts but for some reason I never reached a point of entire satisfaction with it. So anyway, results for all my subjects start coming back and I had gotten 85+ in all my subjects which I was elated with but I knew English would completely destroy that. All my high achieving friends were feeling so sorry for me. Come day of results, my teacher asks me to hand out the papers and everyone's getting single digits for the short answers, so I knew I was fucked. And wtf, I look at mine and it has a 12/15. WHAT THE HELLL. (ok it's not that good but given the circumstances it was most definitely was) I literally screamed at my friend to share my relief "DUDE I GOT 12", to which she responded "I got 7..." Mind you, she had completely the paper confidently and had ranked 3rd in Advanced English last year. Immediately I felt terrible but I couldn't fathom how she got so low when that never ever happened. Then I awkwardly returned to desk, which had my creative on it, so I kinda hesitated to sit but fuck I got 14/15 on it - 93%. I was legit shook. My marks for English Advanced totalled out to 87%, which made me rank 2nd overall. That was probably one of the best days of my life. I've never been one of those people who say "I failed this" and end up acing it, I always think I fail and actually fail. But for that not to happen, was truly a blessing to my soul.

Another instance is when I got thrown a complete curveball in Legal. I legit thought my essay was so shitty but I got 100%. I literally screamed "THIS MUST BE A MISTAKE!!!" Now I'm ranked 1st HAHAHAHHA

OMG YESS!!! Honestly so amazing man! You sound hella smart hahaha

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 07:23:22 pm »
Congrats on that amazing mark!!! Well done! (And how good is this journal thing? You'll look back on this journal and your year and see how quickly it's all gone!)

Story on how I thought I bombed an exam and actually killed it: my HSC Legal exam - thought the highest I could get was 80, but my marks ended up pushing my overall mark to a Band 6 (my projected mark was high Band 5!)

Its honestly such a cool concept hey! WOOAAAHH in legal as well! Congrats that's insane!!

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 11:57:16 am »
+2
Hey everyone,

WE MADE IT TO THE HOLIDAYS!!!!!! Finally! So I've got 3 free days then 11 days of busy and full on days singing in a band up at Grassyhead for a big conference. So I'm not sure how much homework I'll be able to squeeze in. On that homework topic, I honesty have no idea what I should be doing and how much. I can't look over my mid year exams because we don't get our marks back until the first week of term so yeah just unsure atm.

Hope everyone is doing well and to all those students who have holidays I congradulate you. And too all the uni students going back, I feel for you.

Hmu if you have study tips and ideas for this break.

Thanks guys and see you next time :)

Love Hannah

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 12:25:03 pm »
Enjoy your holidays!
Us Victorians are back at school now  :'(
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2018, 03:36:20 pm »
Enjoy your holidays!
Us Victorians are back at school now  :'(

That is very unlucky my friend

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2018, 03:43:46 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

So, it's our second week back and honestly it's been okay so far. Pretty much all that we have done is recieved our mid yearly results back, this is how I went :
English - 82% (12/15 essay, 11/15 response to unseen, 14/15 creative writing)
Maths - 82 or 84% I forget
Religion - 82.3%
PDHPE - didn't count but we had an assessment prior to the exam which I got 92.5%
Music - I think 85% but it's complicated and weird hahaha

As you can tell I'm pretty consistent with 82% in every subject  ;) :-\

Not sure how I can get better, because although 80s are great I need to be getting at least 90% in each subject to attain my desired ATAR. Plus I know I can do so much better I'm just not sure what to do!

Hannah

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 05:08:59 pm »
+1
Hey everyone!

Wow I have not posted in my journal for a LOOONNNNGGG time but I'm back!

I was wondering if I could get some advice ...

I am usually pretty good at resolving drama or conflict but now people are using my marks as amo. So, today we got our PDHPE factors affecting performance assessment tasks back and I did quite well, however a few people have been saying behind my back that I'm a kiss ass and don't deserve just because I got a good mark. So when I went to confront them about it and ask what was up they flat out denied and quickly made me feel the victim and at fault and stupid for my mark. I was kind of confused when even my best mates were acting sus about it and when I asked they kind of just did the same as everyone else.  And it's annoying because now instead of being proud of my mark I'm embarrased and ashamed and wish I did worse. It's not like I needed their attention or praise, that's honestly the last thing I want, I just don't want hate for doing well. Anyone have any tips on combatting this and it not killing your motivation?

There's also increasingly more pressure to choose uni courses now and I'm still so lost, any ideas?

Hope everyone is having a good week :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2018, 05:39:10 pm »
Hi!

1. Don't be ashamed about your mark. If you know you worked hard for it, then your marks will most likely reflect the effort you put in. There are way better things to worry about than other people!
2. Ignore the pressure to choose now - you can change your preferences a ton of times and change degrees whenever you like :-) My friend had no idea what she wanted to do until she went on her Physics excursion in term 3 year 12 and found she wanted to work in radiology! When looking for uni courses, think about your interests and what you like to do. Don't do something because someone else is doing it, or because there's going to be a lot of money in that field. If there's a specific institution you'd like to go to, maybe start your search there. :-)

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 07:05:21 pm »
Hi!

1. Don't be ashamed about your mark. If you know you worked hard for it, then your marks will most likely reflect the effort you put in. There are way better things to worry about than other people!
2. Ignore the pressure to choose now - you can change your preferences a ton of times and change degrees whenever you like :-) My friend had no idea what she wanted to do until she went on her Physics excursion in term 3 year 12 and found she wanted to work in radiology! When looking for uni courses, think about your interests and what you like to do. Don't do something because someone else is doing it, or because there's going to be a lot of money in that field. If there's a specific institution you'd like to go to, maybe start your search there. :-)

Hope this helps!

Hey!

Yeah you're right but it is just super disappointing when even your best mates can't be happy for you so I have to like play it off. I don't know why I do care so much but yeah I'll definately try and stop focusing on others opinions.

I am just an incredibly indecicive person so pin pointing what I want to do potentially for the rest of my life is a real struggle but yeah I'll start with specific institions and stuff.

Thankyou so much for your help!!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 10:51:04 pm »
I am just an incredibly indecicive person so pin pointing what I want to do potentially for the rest of my life is a real struggle

I feel your pain hahaha. Don’t forget you can choose you major/minor and electives with most degrees so there is flexibility within them - also you could always do a general degree (science or arts) and then transfer into a more specific degree if you decide you want to.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 02:12:09 pm »
Hey everyone!

Wow I have not posted in my journal for a LOOONNNNGGG time but I'm back!

I was wondering if I could get some advice ...

I am usually pretty good at resolving drama or conflict but now people are using my marks as amo. So, today we got our PDHPE factors affecting performance assessment tasks back and I did quite well, however a few people have been saying behind my back that I'm a kiss ass and don't deserve just because I got a good mark. So when I went to confront them about it and ask what was up they flat out denied and quickly made me feel the victim and at fault and stupid for my mark. I was kind of confused when even my best mates were acting sus about it and when I asked they kind of just did the same as everyone else.  And it's annoying because now instead of being proud of my mark I'm embarrased and ashamed and wish I did worse. It's not like I needed their attention or praise, that's honestly the last thing I want, I just don't want hate for doing well. Anyone have any tips on combatting this and it not killing your motivation?

There's also increasingly more pressure to choose uni courses now and I'm still so lost, any ideas?

Hope everyone is having a good week :)

Hey, welcome back! ;D

Congrats on your marks - sounds as though you're smashing it. 👌

The situation you've described there really sucks. Sorry to hear you have to deal with it. The first thing is, I'm sure you do deserve the mark - an HSC teacher genuinely playing favourites in terms of marking is pretty unlikely IMO. On paper, it seems like it might be a case of jealousy from those around you - would you agree?

How do you know people have been saying that, though? Like, did you hear it yourself?

But yeah, definitely agree with fb3 above re: the marks situation. Wishing you did worse really sucks, and if at all possible, I encourage you to put other people's issues out of your mind. Obviously way easier said than done, but like, you should 100% be proud of your efforts - we're certainly proud of you. ;)

Looking forward to your next update!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2018, 12:10:51 pm »
The situation you've described there really sucks. Sorry to hear you have to deal with it. The first thing is, I'm sure you do deserve the mark - an HSC teacher genuinely playing favourites in terms of marking is pretty unlikely IMO. On paper, it seems like it might be a case of jealousy from those around you - would you agree?

How do you know people have been saying that, though? Like, did you hear it yourself?

But yeah, definitely agree with fb3 above re: the marks situation. Wishing you did worse really sucks, and if at all possible, I encourage you to put other people's issues out of your mind. Obviously way easier said than done, but like, you should 100% be proud of your efforts - we're certainly proud of you. ;)

Looking forward to your next update!

Hey Joseph!

Yeah they were making little comments to me about it throughout the day and just being hostile and pretty much rude. I guess with what other people not from the PD class were saying that they were hearing as well as my own paranoia I could have made it worse but yeah it's just a real poopy situation hahahah.

Thanks for your support though! Really appreciate it :)

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 07:38:35 pm »
+2
Hey everyone!

Hope all the students out there have had a nice holiday, I've still got one week to go 8)
The first 2 weeks of holidays I was really sick and so now I feel incredibly behind in all of my study and just feel like I'm on a little hamster wheel running and running but going nowhere. I know that the only way to feel more confident is to study more but I honestly feel like I can't which makes me more stressed then I just turn into a weird ball of emotions. But yeah I just feel like I'm going backwards and with trials coming up and me knowing I do worse in exams then asssesments I think it's getting to me.

Sorry for being a downer but on the plus side, once I was at 60% health I was able to hang out with family and friends that I haven't seen in ages and just really enjoy my life and actually have fun, not school fun where you play kahoot, like ACTUAL fun. Not gonna lie it was kind of strange!

Hope everyone's doing well and I'll catch you in my next update thing :)