Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 11:38:39 pm

Author Topic: Transferring to another university without the year 12 prerequisites?  (Read 1495 times)  Share 

ldee

Hi,

My girlfriend is currently in her first year of Arts at Monash. She wants to study Speech Pathology and was planing going on to do a masters at Melbourne or La Trobe after completing her bachelors, but now thinks that La Trobe's Applied Science / Speech Pathology course will be a better pathway. The problem is she didn't take any maths or science in year 12 which are prerequisites for the course.

For non year 12 entires, the VTAC course entry says applicants need to have "demonstrated proficiency equivalent to Year 12 prerequisites". Without being able to do this, does she have any chance of getting into the course? Could they possibly offer bridging courses once accepted?

If anybody has any experiences in a situation like this, please let me know.

Cheers.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Transferring to another university without the year 12 prerequisites?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:29:13 pm »
The master of speech pathology (singular, not part of the double) offers a short bridging course (as far as i'm aware from the quote i've just provided below direct from this link: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/courses/speech-pathology/postgraduate):

Students without a background in human biosciences (anatomy and physiology) and linguistics (phonetics and grammar) are strongly recommended to complete a bridging course starting 28 January 2014.
Think they forgot to change the 2014 to 2015

However i'm unsure of whether they provide this bridging course for undergrads. Your best bet would be to get your girlfriend to ask the uni directly:
http://latrobe.custhelp.com/ (click the 'Ask a message' red banner)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:30:53 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile