Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 01:50:09 am

Author Topic: Science at Monash or Biomed at Deakin?  (Read 1185 times)  Share 

AnonymousStudent3141

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Science at Monash or Biomed at Deakin?
« on: December 16, 2021, 01:58:29 pm »
Hello everyone,
After seeing my ATAR, I have to make a choice, either Science at Monash uni, or Biomed at Deakin uni
I hope on entering med school in the near future.

Universities aside, what would be a better option. Science or Biomed

What would people who's currently in uni recommend?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Science at Monash or Biomed at Deakin?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 03:14:11 pm »
+2
Hello everyone,
After seeing my ATAR, I have to make a choice, either Science at Monash uni, or Biomed at Deakin uni

I don't think there is much of a difference. I did biomed and that was fine for med and if I did science I think I would have been ok as well. Plenty of people get into medicine from both biomed and science.

Science probably gives you a little bit more of flexibility in terms of what subjects you can choose at university but biomed probably gives you a more tight-knit cohort since you do most of the same subjects with the same individuals over 3 years.

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 08:31:05 pm »
+1
Hello everyone,

I have just completed my 2nd year of Monash biomed so I'll add my 2c. The choice between biomed and science is a balancing act. On one hand, some unis like Monash prefer their own biomed students for their postgrad MD programs (not sure if Deakin plays favourites with their biomedders like we do). However, if you're applying for other med schools than your undergrad uni ie via GEMSAS after sitting the GAMSAT, science might be better cuz their units are generally easier, allowing you to maintain your GPA. I should highlight that Monash postgrad med is only open to Monash students and you would be eligible if you do a BSc here provided that you have done the prereq units.

FYI, I have noticed a difference in the atmospheres of science and biomed. Biomed is slightly toxic due to the competiton, people pick on others for their ATARs, especially in the Scholars program. Additionally, biomedders will take every opportunity to frame you as rude and unprofessional in front of the lecturers. Someone reported me to the lecturers and gave me a sanctimonious lecture on the unit forums about respect just for complaining about a poorly written theme test (I wasn't rude or demeaning either, I just said how they examined content not taught in the lectures and how it's very concerning that the exam might turn out in the same way too. Many other students agreed with me on the forums). I even got my calculator stolen by someone who asked to borrow it on my first day of uni in 2019, when I asked for it back, she was like "no it's mine" when it still had my name engraved on the back  ::) In science (I'm taking chem electives in the faculty of science), everyone has each others backs and we all help each other to survive 2nd year.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 08:48:18 pm by Billuminati »
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

AnonymousStudent3141

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 01:41:43 pm »
I have just completed my 2nd year of Monash biomed so I'll add my 2c. The choice between biomed and science is a balancing act. On one hand, some unis like Monash prefer their own biomed students for their postgrad MD programs (not sure if Deakin plays favourites with their biomedders like we do). However, if you're applying for other med schools than your undergrad uni ie via GEMSAS after sitting the GAMSAT, science might be better cuz their units are generally easier, allowing you to maintain your GPA. I should highlight that Monash postgrad med is only open to Monash students and you would be eligible if you do a BSc here provided that you have done the prereq units.

FYI, I have noticed a difference in the atmospheres of science and biomed. Biomed is slightly toxic due to the competiton, people pick on others for their ATARs, especially in the Scholars program. Additionally, biomedders will take every opportunity to frame you as rude and unprofessional in front of the lecturers. Someone reported me to the lecturers and gave me a sanctimonious lecture on the unit forums about respect just for complaining about a poorly written theme test (I wasn't rude or demeaning either, I just said how they examined content not taught in the lectures and how it's very concerning that the exam might turn out in the same way too. Many other students agreed with me on the forums). I even got my calculator stolen by someone who asked to borrow it on my first day of uni in 2019, when I asked for it back, she was like "no it's mine" when it still had my name engraved on the back  ::) In science (I'm taking chem electives in the faculty of science), everyone has each others backs and we all help each other to survive 2nd year.

Very interesting, I get where you're coming from. Well it would make sense the kids in biomed would be very competitive in order to get in there. Whilst the BSc students would be less competitive. That definitely puts a new light on things. But how you mention that Monash prefers their own biomed students does peak a bit of interest. Do they only prefer the biomed students. Or is that love also shared to the Science kiddies too?

Much appreciated! 

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 05:31:27 pm »
Very interesting, I get where you're coming from. Well it would make sense the kids in biomed would be very competitive in order to get in there. Whilst the BSc students would be less competitive. That definitely puts a new light on things. But how you mention that Monash prefers their own biomed students does peak a bit of interest. Do they only prefer the biomed students. Or is that love also shared to the Science kiddies too?

Much appreciated!

While Monash only accepts their own Bachelors of biomed, physiotherapy, pharmaceutical science and science (relevant majors) students for their postgrad med program, 50 out of the 75 spots are reserved for biomed students. Oftentimes many of the remaining 25 spots are taken by biomed students as well
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree