Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:16:50 pm

Author Topic: 4 Essays?  (Read 1067 times)

dermite

• Trendsetter
  • You are just like everyone else, unique.
  • Respect: +2
4 Essays?
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:27:41 pm »
Hi, as we all (yr12s) have trials coming up,
is it better to memorise all 4 essays (for paper 1 + 2) or is another method better?
If memorising isnt the way to go, please suggest alternative methods.
HSC 2018
English Advanced  
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Information Processes and Technology
Goal : 93 ATAR

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: 4 Essays?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 03:47:45 pm »
Hi, as we all (yr12s) have trials coming up,
is it better to memorise all 4 essays (for paper 1 + 2) or is another method better?
If memorising isnt the way to go, please suggest alternative methods.
Memorising 4 essays sounds quite daunting... :-[
I'd say memorise Thesis statements, concepts, quotes and analysis for all of them.
That way you have the backbone of your essay and you have the freedom to work with the question.
Thats what i'm doing  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
4 Essays?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:16:41 pm »
+1
Jesus christ, I'm not even gonna bother. I'm just going to have a bank of ideas/themes and make up my thesis on the spot according to the question. The question, especially for the modules, at my school tend to be so specific that memorising would be rendered impotent. Different questions requires differing levels of nuance to respond to effectively, so yeah I would just prepare by writing out mountains of practice essays at home. Naturally, doing this will compel you to remember the most important aspects anyway, whilst enabling you to tackle different kinds of questions rather than just heavily committing to the one. I'm only going to memorise my creative (because it's awfully difficult to come up with one on the spot whilst other people are bringing in theirs of 1 years' worth of refinement), but I feel like this isn't necessary for the essays. You can 100% get a good mark without trying to memorise anything verbatim. If you know your texts well enough and are prepared to tackle a multiplicity of questions, you should be able to quote from any part of the text accordingly.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:19:35 pm by Lumenoria »
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

dermite

• Trendsetter
  • You are just like everyone else, unique.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 06:51:23 pm »
how would you remember the relation between quotes and techniques?
do you build a table or do you use another method?
HSC 2018
English Advanced  
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Information Processes and Technology
Goal : 93 ATAR

KT Nyunt

• MOTM: MAY 18
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:05:51 pm »
how would you remember the relation between quotes and techniques?
do you build a table or do you use another method?

Hey!
A good way to collate all your ideas and practice drawing quotes and techniques from memory for certain essay questions is by doing essay plans. This is much faster than writing full length essays, as well as preparing an essay and learning it and this is also a quick way to expose you to multiple essay questions so you're prepared for whatever question nesa throws at you. Also, I often make essay plans and then pick a plan and use that as a scaffold for a practice full length essay. I posted my essay plan template here if you wanna try it out :)

Hope this helps  ;D
HSC 2018:
Biology | Chemistry | English Advanced | Math Ext. 1 | Math Ext. 2

Atar: 97.40
Chem - acidic environment
And more...