Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 04:38:16 pm

Author Topic: Can I get government assistance (i.e. taxpayer money)?  (Read 5066 times)  Share 

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: Can I get government assistance (i.e. taxpayer money)?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 08:51:12 pm »
michael, i'm afraid the only way you're going to get handouts is if you move out of home and somehow count yourself as independant. My parents combined income is barely $60K, and last time i checked i was WAY over the limit. (i was considering moving out and found that you cannot possibly live off youth allowance and still maintain a "cool" lifestyle, even when i counted sharing rent with friends)

if the combined income of your parents is over $100K, i say tough. If your parents cannot support you, then your family has some serious issues about how you manage your income. Maybe you should consult brendan for more advice as to how you as well as your family should be saving money to put to use on better things (such as education).

and brendan is being his normal self, he helps in the way that he thinks best, if you keep on insisting that he is not helping (or working against helping), when clearly he is giving his honest opinions, you are really trying to pick a fight on him. I must advice that an argument of those kind is highly dangerous

you dont have a job, and your parents are refusing to help you, my honest opinion is they are probably sick of letting you live of their silver platter.

maybe it's time you start tightening your belt and let go of luxuries that you can live without. make your purchases on essential things, there is no point on spending the money you dont have, and there is even less point complaining about it.

and, maybe look harder for a job, i'm sure you havent considered absolutely every option

oh, and a side note, getting taxpayer's money to support your lunch money when you dont work and pay tax... that is low, maybe you should say sorry to taxpayers amongst us first. I certainly wish my money does not flow your way, not even a cent.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:54:16 pm by Mao »
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

brendan

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 12:58:07 pm »
Good advice Mao :)

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 04:11:56 pm »
Yeah, it is good advice. I think it is sad that we have grown accustomed to the idea that we have a right to a paycheck we haven't worked for. If you're finding it hard to meet costs, it's always beneficial to cut down on expenditure where possible.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 12:34:49 pm »
Don't make this political guyz, it was a simple question -.-

I think most ppl have covered what I have to say. I just thought I'd clarify though: if you're a full time student, you do not have to work to qualify for youth allowance. Also, depending on how close you are to the income threshold and stuff, ppl r allowed to earn something like $230 a fortnight before their centrelink payments are effected, and they have this system where if you don't earn that $230 threshold you can 'save up' that unearned income like a bank to the value of $6000 (or some similarly rounded figure). So if your employer wanted you to work full-time during a semester break or something, you don't have to think twice about it. Most universities have a centrelink service onsite during the first week or two each year so people curious like you are able to find out whether they qualify for low-income health care cards and such. I actually wound up speaking to one today while I was waiting for the student centre to open this morning - hence all this information I can provide.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:40:11 pm by Fyrefly »
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||