Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:12:31 am

Author Topic: Could a C+ average student (me) save his study score by acing exams?  (Read 4987 times)

Harryjollie

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I know what everyone will say, that it's dubious at best to hype myself up thinking that a C+ average student could end up acing my exams. But - giving me the benefit of the doubt - how much would my study score be saved if I were to get an A+ on the exam? I must confess Im not entirely a C+ student, I'm getting straight As in English and I've been able to pull up my philosophy subject to a B+ after some disappointing C+ SAC results.

Take literature, for example;
1st SAC: B+
2nd SAC: B+
3rd SAC: D
4th SAC: C+
5th SAC: C+
6th SAC: B+
Final Exam: A+ (hypothetically)

what would my study score be looking like here? I'm thinking maybe a 29-31? I've heard everyone say that exams really are the saving grace of some students, so I hope that'll be me.

Please be as brutally honest as possible! I'm not a firm believer in ignorance being bliss... so do your absolute worst!

Nature

• Trailblazer
  • 忍耐が成功の鍵です ❀
  • Respect: +6
Re: Could a C+ average student (me) save his study score by acing exams?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 05:14:10 pm »
Depends on the strength of your cohort and your ranking as your SAC marks could scale up.

Harryjollie

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 05:47:17 pm »
Depends on the strength of your cohort and your ranking as your SAC marks could scale up.

I'm in a very high performing school, so these SAC marks would put in the lower ranking of my lit class

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 06:35:47 pm »
Without doing any maths, my gut feel is that A+ on the exam would land you in the 35+ region

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 07:02:16 pm »
+1
You're looking way over a 31 with an A+ on the exam. Same as Bri, would be thinking 35+, potentially onto upper 30s given strong cohort.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Nature

• Trailblazer
  • 忍耐が成功の鍵です ❀
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 07:05:32 pm »
I'm in a very high performing school, so these SAC marks would put in the lower ranking of my lit class
Your SAC marks will scale up if your school's performance on the end of year exam is high. Given you got A+ on the exam, I would predict somewhere between 33-36.

* Edit - SAC Scores are worth 50% of your SS I think.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 07:12:16 pm »
I don't know whether the strong cohort will necessarily help too much if you are ranking low, really depends on the composition of your entire cohort at this point and how they go on the exam.

I would guess you could get within the range of 33-39.

If you scrape an A+ it would be on the lower end but if you scored towards the top of the state you could get the high 30s. If your sacs scale well you could get higher though.