Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:01:41 pm

Author Topic: Changes to Study Design (June 2017)  (Read 1873 times)  Share 

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
Changes to Study Design (June 2017)
« on: July 09, 2017, 03:28:12 pm »
+12
I just wanted to alert everyone to the fact that VCAA has made some changes to the study design, as of June 2017 (f****** VCAA, I know!).

I've briefly listed and explained these changes below, or the link to the VCAA page is here:

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vce/studies/psychology/studydesignamendments.aspx 

Basically, there are two key changes:

1. The effects of chronic changes to the functioning of the nervous system due to interference to neurotransmitter function, illustrated by the role of dopamine in Parkinson’s disease.

Dopamine has replaced GABA as the neurotransmitter involved in Parkinson's disease. They will accept either answer on the 2017 exam.This is actually a great amendment as it was unclear on what the role of GABA in Parkinson’s disease was. It has now been changed to Dopamine – which is much more clear-cut. As they will accept both answers on the 2017 exam, this means that VCAA can’t specifically ask about the role of dopamine or GABA, but may ask you to explain ‘one neurotransmitter that plays a role in Parkinson’s disease’, for example. I would recommend talking about dopamine if this does occur, as its role is much clearer. This also means that you don’t need to know about the role of GABA.

2. The distinction between dyssomnias (including sleep-onset insomnia) and parasomnias (including sleep walking) with reference to the effects on a person’s sleep-wake cycle

The examples of 'narcolepsy' as a dyssomnia and 'sleep apnoea' as a parasomnia have been removed. This means that they aren't examinable any more and you shouldn't mention them in an exam answer - which sucks if you've already learnt about them (hopefully most people haven't!).

There were three other changes - which were basically just punctuation related and corrected benzodiazepines to GABA 'agonists' (they were previously listed as GABA 'antagonists').

Cheers

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
Re: Changes to Study Design (June 2017)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:06:53 pm »
+2
I think VCAA reckon its hilarious to play around with stressed psych students. And who the heck makes changes in June-that is very unprofessional! !!!!!  >:( >:( (on the flip side that kinda makes my life easier cause I was stuggling to grasp the whole GABA and parkinsons disease thing)- but nevertheless VCAA are unprofessional and evil
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:09:09 pm by Ashjames »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:37:27 am »
+3

I just wanted to alert everyone to the fact that VCAA has made some changes to the study design, as of June 2017 (f****** VCAA, I know!).

I've briefly listed and explained these changes below, or the link to the VCAA page is here:

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vce/studies/psychology/studydesignamendments.aspx 

Basically, there are two key changes:

1. The effects of chronic changes to the functioning of the nervous system due to interference to neurotransmitter function, illustrated by the role of dopamine in Parkinson’s disease.

Dopamine has replaced GABA as the neurotransmitter involved in Parkinson's disease. They will accept either answer on the 2017 exam.This is actually a great amendment as it was unclear on what the role of GABA in Parkinson’s disease was. It has now been changed to Dopamine – which is much more clear-cut. As they will accept both answers on the 2017 exam, this means that VCAA can’t specifically ask about the role of dopamine or GABA, but may ask you to explain ‘one neurotransmitter that plays a role in Parkinson’s disease’, for example. I would recommend talking about dopamine if this does occur, as its role is much clearer. This also means that you don’t need to know about the role of GABA.

2. The distinction between dyssomnias (including sleep-onset insomnia) and parasomnias (including sleep walking) with reference to the effects on a person’s sleep-wake cycle

The examples of 'narcolepsy' as a dyssomnia and 'sleep apnoea' as a parasomnia have been removed. This means that they aren't examinable any more and you shouldn't mention them in an exam answer - which sucks if you've already learnt about them (hopefully most people haven't!).

There were three other changes - which were basically just punctuation related and corrected benzodiazepines to GABA 'agonists' (they were previously listed as GABA 'antagonists').

Cheers

Thanks heaps for highlighting these! Missed this post as it came through the first time.

If I were you (or any other Psych student) I wouldn't stress too much about these. They're basically correcting errors, and in the case of narcolepsy and OSA, removing things that are too difficult.

The only problem will be next year, when students' textbooks still bear reference to GABA's role in PD, rather than dopamine. Funnily enough, my student and I actually discussed the weird focus on GABA the other week, and I got a little riled up and said it shouldn't be on the study design...appears that that view has been vindicated
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:48:26 am »
+1
Thanks heaps for highlighting these! Missed this post as it came through the first time.

If I were you (or any other Psych student) I wouldn't stress too much about these. They're basically correcting errors, and in the case of narcolepsy and OSA, removing things that are too difficult.

The only problem will be next year, when students' textbooks still bear reference to GABA's role in PD, rather than dopamine. Funnily enough, my student and I actually discussed the weird focus on GABA the other week, and I got a little riled up and said it shouldn't be on the study design...appears that that view has been vindicated

No worries, vox nihili! Yeah, I think they're good changes, particularly the one about GABA and Parkinson's. I know I was struggling to wrap my head around it. Will be strange in the future with textbooks, you're right - although the Psych textbook does contain plenty of surplus info :)

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth