Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:20:38 am

Author Topic: English VCE head start  (Read 932 times)  Share 

Nataliaelias

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
English VCE head start
« on: November 23, 2016, 02:23:11 pm »
Hey
Just a quick question from I for Isobel
What makes Isobel's life indecipherable ? And why isn't her mothers names mentioned up until page 36(might be a different page number to your book - this is according  to the old version )?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: English VCE head start
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:45:49 pm »
+1
Hey
Just a quick question from I for Isobel
What makes Isobel's life indecipherable ? And why isn't her mothers names mentioned up until page 36(might be a different page number to your book - this is according  to the old version )?

Hey!

Isobel's life is fairly open to interpretation. On the topic of her life being indecipherable, it could mean multiple things such as how it appears to be difficult to see how Isobel herself is feeling throughout the book or her take on events (due to most of the story being in third person, from Isobel's point of view); which may mar the other characters' personalities greatly. This could lead to a reader interpreting that Isobel has troubles identifying who she is or who others are, causing her own life to appear indecipherable.

Mrs Callaghan's name isn't mentioned early on, as it is fairly clear at the start of the novel that May Callaghan treats Isobel harshly (according to the view- which is Isobel's from third person). The abuse leads to Isobel not entirely wishing to think or speak about her mother a lot, which can represent a damaged relationship.

***Disclaimer: I for Isobel is a very interpretive text in my opinion, and what I said above is only one way of thinking about it. :) ***
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:47:52 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!