Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 01:29:43 am

Author Topic: "Identify the 2 functional groups that are formed..."  (Read 1615 times)  Share 

VCE_2012

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
"Identify the 2 functional groups that are formed..."
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:56:26 pm »
Question on the 2011 VCAA (Q8 b)
"Identify the 2 functional groups that are formed as a result of the hydrolysis of the peptide link."
My answer was Amine group and carboxyl group.
However one of the VCCA answer was amino (not amine)==> would I still be technically correct? 

ecvkcuf

Re: "Identify the 2 functional groups that are formed..."
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:58:29 pm »
Yes you would be correct.

ligands

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
  • School: catholic college bendigo
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »
I imagine peptide linkage would be correct aswell ( not 100% tho )

ggxoxo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:12:32 pm »
I imagine peptide linkage would be correct aswell ( not 100% tho )

I think we're eliminating the peptide linkages via hydrolysis

oneoneoneone

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Meow meow, meow meow meow woof.
  • Respect: +8
  • School: Socth Clogeg
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 11:17:07 pm »
The proper name for the functional group is the amino functional group so i'm not sure if they'd pay it. Its like if you called it an 'oic acid' group.

ecvkcuf

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:24:15 pm »
The proper name for the functional group is the amino functional group so i'm not sure if they'd pay it. Its like if you called it an 'oic acid' group.

No I don't think you can equate the two.. amine and amino refer to the same functional group whilst 'oic acid' refers to a carboxylic acid.

oneoneoneone

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Meow meow, meow meow meow woof.
  • Respect: +8
  • School: Socth Clogeg
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:28:39 pm »
+2
Calling it a carboxylic acid functional group is also kind of wrong. My point is that functional groups are named after their prefix names (hydroxy, carboxy, amino) etc.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:38:46 pm »
+1
Both amino and amine are legitimate names for the functional group. It doesn't have to do strictly with their prefixes.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:58:03 am »
Both amino and amine are legitimate names for the functional group. It doesn't have to do strictly with their prefixes.

Amine refers to the family, while amino is the functional group. If you called the functional group an amine group, that is just like calling another functional group an "alcohol" functional group instead of a hydroxy/hydroxyl functional group.
I'm pretty sure they are quite picky with the names.
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:33 am »

Amine refers to the family, while amino is the functional group. If you called the functional group an amine group, that is just like calling another functional group an "alcohol" functional group instead of a hydroxy/hydroxyl functional group.
I'm pretty sure they are quite picky with the names.

That's that case with alcohols but not with this, I'm almost one hundred percent sure.

And it's completely different to alcohols because in that case hydroxyl refers to the OH group, whereas alcohol does not, because an alcohol is a type of substance.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:07:46 pm »
VCAA 2009 Assessor Report Question 8bi sheds a bit of light on the difference between amine and amino:

Compounds in which the principal functional group is the –NH2 – are called amines and so ‘amine’ should appear in the
systematic name. Hence, names such as 1-amino-3-methylbutane are not systematic names. The term ‘amino’ is used in
compounds which contain –NH2 and a functional group of higher priority, e.g. –COOH in amino acids.
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vcaa/vce/studies/chemistry/assessreports/2009/chemistry_assessrep_june09.pdf

That's in terms of systematic naming though. So for the name of the functional group, usage depends on what the molecule actually is?

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »
I personally always say amino but I'm almost certain it's not incorrect to say amine.