Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:31:45 pm

Author Topic: Food tech questions thread for 2013-UNITS 3&4 ONLY  (Read 6693 times)  Share 

walkec

Food tech questions thread for 2013-UNITS 3&4 ONLY
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:32:01 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm doing 3/4 food this year as my accelerated and I thought it would be a good idea to make a questions thread for any other food tecchies out there on AN so we can help each other out, even though there might not be many of us.

Also if there are any past students willing to give tips on study/learning definitions/SACs/SAT in order to achieve 40+, feel free to, because I'm aiming for 45+.

Good luck to everyone doing 3/4 food this year!

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Food tech questions thread for 2013-UNITS 3&4 ONLY
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:17:20 pm »
I'll join you! I really haven't come across a lot of other Food Tech students, so this could be good :)
2012: Psychology
2013: Media, English, Legal Studies, Business Management, Food Tech

walkec

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:28:28 pm »
Yay! I'm actually so excited for this year! I've got some great ideas floating around my in mind for my SAT, so I really just want to get started! How do you find the course so far?

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:14:22 am »
We haven't done a lot of work just yet, but I am looking forward to the folio SAT around Term 3. The Food poisoning and spoilage stuff is fairly straight forward, so I'm hoping the rest of it will be ok! :)

walkec

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:59:22 pm »
Haha yeah I've done food since year 8 and I swear it's the same concepts every year with food poisoning and spoilage! And I have the same teacher as 1/2, so that helps a lot because she knows what we've already covered

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:30:33 pm »
Do use the Food Solutions text book? I get a bit confused about textbooks, schools seem to use all different ones.

walkec

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:32:44 am »
Do use the Food Solutions text book? I get a bit confused about textbooks, schools seem to use all different ones.

Our textbook on the booklist is food for VCE but it's not very good so we have food for VCE and food solutions and switch between the two, but my teacher likes food solutions more. What do you use?

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:18 pm »
Yeah I use Food Solutions, but I find it kind of useless. I really dislike the "Understanding the Text" questions, because my teacher makes us do all 10 of them for each dish we cook, plus an analysis sheet which is awful! I really wish we could use Cooking the Australian Way, because that has great recipes that we are all likely to cook at some stage, not strange foods that they want us to try!
That's just me though, some others at school love the book.

walkec

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 07:11:20 am »
Yeah I use Food Solutions, but I find it kind of useless. I really dislike the "Understanding the Text" questions, because my teacher makes us do all 10 of them for each dish we cook, plus an analysis sheet which is awful! I really wish we could use Cooking the Australian Way, because that has great recipes that we are all likely to cook at some stage, not strange foods that they want us to try!
That's just me though, some others at school love the book.

Well my class, teacher included, love food solutions. Saying that though, it's sometimes too comped for what we need to know, so we sometimes use Food for VCE. Have you got any ideas for your SAT yet?

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:34 am »
That's a fair point. I am looking forward to the SAT actually, I'm thinking of berries, so using a different berry for each separate component we have to do. I still have to check and see if that would be ok though. And you? :)

walkec

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 04:22:10 pm »
That's a fair point. I am looking forward to the SAT actually, I'm thinking of berries, so using a different berry for each separate component we have to do. I still have to check and see if that would be ok though. And you? :)

Ah thar sounds good! Well I really like desserts and we haven't got to make many at school so probably something to do with desserts. Lol my step dad said I should do one with gourmet dog treats! I told him that probably wouldn't work.

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:26:35 pm »
I considered desserts, but wasn't sure if it was too vague for the design brief that we would have to write. Another thing there is that you can't really make cheesecakes as they don't have a complex process. That being said, berries are virtually only used in desserts, so maybe if you refine your idea a bit it could work! :)

walkec

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:09 pm »
I considered desserts, but wasn't sure if it was too vague for the design brief that we would have to write. Another thing there is that you can't really make cheesecakes as they don't have a complex process. That being said, berries are virtually only used in desserts, so maybe if you refine your idea a bit it could work! :)

I was thinking of writing my brief as like I was opening up my own dessert bar in the city and needing to have a variety of desserts and stuff that keeps well etc.

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 04:22:48 pm »
Ahh that is a good idea! I was thinking of a berry festival for mine, but I'll have to check first. I'm looking forward to this folio!