Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 12:56:48 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3633793 times)  Share 

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #4695 on: February 19, 2015, 09:12:40 am »
Hi guys
just wondering has anyone heard of a tutor name michael deland? if anyone has had him for biology?
And how do you create your own post?

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #4696 on: February 19, 2015, 10:04:15 am »
Hi guys
just wondering has anyone heard of a tutor name michael deland? if anyone has had him for biology?
And how do you create your own post?
New thread? Go to the board you want it to appear in, eg. Biology, then click on the button [NEW TOPIC] on the top right just under the ad.
November 6th 2014 5.15pm
Class of 2014! :D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4697 on: February 19, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »
Hi AN

I've got a week to go before my first Biology SAC on movement across the membrane and would like to know what to do for revision to be fully prepared.

Yacoubb

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #4698 on: February 19, 2015, 04:08:29 pm »
Hi AN

I've got a week to go before my first Biology SAC on movement across the membrane and would like to know what to do for revision to be fully prepared.

Hey Sine,

The best way to prepare for a SAC is to practice the two main elements that will be assessed in your work: theory and practical. For theory, I'd go over all your information regarding movement across the cell membrane, the actual cell membrane structure, etc. For the practical element, think of how you could actually explain your results in relation to the theory you've studied.

Hope that's helpful :)
2013-2014: VCE
2015-2017: BSc. at University of Melbourne. Majoring in Microbiology & Immunology.
2018: Honours - Restoring immunocompetency in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
2019-2022: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Deakin University

Completed VCE Biology in 2013 with a study score of 47. Offering tutoring in VCE Biology for 2020 in Geelong region! PM me for more details.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #4699 on: February 19, 2015, 05:51:38 pm »
+1
Hi AN

Do the checkpoints questions for that AoS :)
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #4700 on: February 19, 2015, 07:44:29 pm »
Hi AN

Go on Youtube and search similar experiments! It'll help you comprehend your own results. Also, as aforementioned, revise equilibrium, osmosis, diffusion, phospholipid bilayer structure, etc. Just know the concepts and you'll be fine!  :)
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #4701 on: February 19, 2015, 07:50:29 pm »
Go on Youtube and search similar experiments! It'll help you comprehend your own results. Also, as aforementioned, revise equilibrium, osmosis, diffusion, phospholipid bilayer structure, etc. Just know the concepts and you'll be fine!  :)

My teacher said osmosis typically does not reach equilibrium?

For example, when pure distilled water is separated by a semi-permeable membrane, with a sucrose solution on the other side. She said the the distilled water will eventually diffuse into the sucrose solution through the membrane, but some water will always remain as it is. So my question is, to reach equilibrium doesn't the sucrose solution absorb ALL the water from the other side of the beaker? Because the distilled water has no solute concentration, so it will keep dilluting the sucrose solution until there is no more water left... Is this theory wrong? It seems logical, and after telling my teacher this, she just came with a conclusion that osmosis never reaches equilibrium, which is false -.-

Thanks in advance, :)
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4702 on: February 19, 2015, 07:53:57 pm »
+2
My teacher said osmosis typically does not reach equilibrium?

For example, when pure distilled water is separated by a semi-permeable membrane, with a sucrose solution on the other side. She said the the distilled water will eventually diffuse into the sucrose solution through the membrane, but some water will always remain as it is. So my question is, to reach equilibrium doesn't the sucrose solution absorb ALL the water from the other side of the beaker? Because the distilled water has no solute concentration, so it will keep dilluting the sucrose solution until there is no more water left... Is this theory wrong? It seems logical, and after telling my teacher this, she just came with a conclusion that osmosis never reaches equilibrium, which is false -.-

Thanks in advance, :)

In this case it won't completely go to equilibrium, no. That's because gravity counteracts osmotic pressure. SO even though the water wants to move in, gravity will stop some of it from doing so.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4703 on: February 19, 2015, 07:59:28 pm »
In this case it won't completely go to equilibrium, no. That's because gravity counteracts osmotic pressure. SO even though the water wants to move in, gravity will stop some of it from doing so.

Alright, thank you!

But osmosis typically stops at equilibrium, like diffusion, right? Thanks :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #4704 on: February 19, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »
Alright, thank you!

But osmosis typically stops at equilibrium, like diffusion, right? Thanks :)

Yes absolutely. You're actually best to assume that it always goes to equilibrium. You certainly wouldn't be expected to know anything about what we've just discussed.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4705 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:47 pm »
Hey Sine,

The best way to prepare for a SAC is to practice the two main elements that will be assessed in your work: theory and practical. For theory, I'd go over all your information regarding movement across the cell membrane, the actual cell membrane structure, etc. For the practical element, think of how you could actually explain your results in relation to the theory you've studied.

Hope that's helpful :)

Do the checkpoints questions for that AoS :)

Thanks for the advice.

What are some typical questions which usually appear in this SAC?

Yacoubb

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #4706 on: February 20, 2015, 08:55:29 am »
Thanks for the advice.

What are some typical questions which usually appear in this SAC?

- Drawing the structure of the plasma membrane (phospholipid bi-layer aggregation, protein channels, etc).
- Indicating the functions of the various elements of the membrane.
- Mentioning what happens to a cell when placed in X solution (it being hyper/hypo/isotonic) and the reason why (i.e. discussing in relation to osmosis).

^ those are likely questions that will be asked on the SAC. :) Good luck!
2013-2014: VCE
2015-2017: BSc. at University of Melbourne. Majoring in Microbiology & Immunology.
2018: Honours - Restoring immunocompetency in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
2019-2022: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Deakin University

Completed VCE Biology in 2013 with a study score of 47. Offering tutoring in VCE Biology for 2020 in Geelong region! PM me for more details.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4707 on: February 20, 2015, 04:19:52 pm »
I have a question regarding plasma membranes:

Are protein channels the same as carrier proteins? I know they have different structures, but why do many people refer to them as the same thing? Also does active transport only occur via carrier proteins?

Thanks in advance :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #4708 on: February 20, 2015, 04:39:17 pm »
I have a question regarding plasma membranes:

Are protein channels the same as carrier proteins? I know they have different structures, but why do many people refer to them as the same thing? Also does active transport only occur via carrier proteins?

Thanks in advance :)

No they're not the same. They're fundamentally different in structure. To transport things across the membrane, channel proteins don't have to change shape, whereas carrier proteins do.
Active transport is only done by carrier proteins. There are a few cases where this is not actually the case, but for the purposes of VCE it's better to assume that it always occurs via carrier proteins.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4709 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:08 pm »
No they're not the same. They're fundamentally different in structure. To transport things across the membrane, channel proteins don't have to change shape, whereas carrier proteins do.
Active transport is only done by carrier proteins. There are a few cases where this is not actually the case, but for the purposes of VCE it's better to assume that it always occurs via carrier proteins.

Thank you Mr. T-Rav!!

So, when it says list two proccesses that cannot occur if protein channels were not present in the plasma membrane:

Facilitated diffusion via protein channels cannot occur, but what would be the second process?