Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:02:43 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3622142 times)  Share 

Monkeymafia

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #9870 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:19 pm »
I can't find a clear answer online, so thought I would post here.

What effect would temperature, ph and alcohol have on the structure of cell walls? 

Thanks.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9871 on: February 02, 2018, 09:07:49 pm »
Hey, did you mean cell membranes? I don’t know how it affects plant walls, but I never learnt it so you don’t need to know, unless it’s something extra your teacher wants you to learn.

For cell membranes:
Temperature and pH cause the cell to become ‘leaky’, this means that the membrane is more fluid. Cholesterol can regulate the membranes fluidity so that slight temperature changes will not affect it, I don’t know if there is a similar mechanism for pH.

Alcohol damages the cell membrane, but that’s all I know about it.

I’m pretty sure we talked about this last year though, so someone around here probably knows.

Edit: Typos
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:09:40 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Monkeymafia

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #9872 on: February 03, 2018, 10:48:05 am »
Hey,

Yeh I meant cell walls. I know about the effects of temperature on plant cell membranes, but I am not sure if temperature affects cell walls (or if it affects cellulose).

Monkeymafia

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #9873 on: February 04, 2018, 12:42:44 pm »
For anaerobic respiration, why do different organisms produce different products?

Yeast - ethanol + carbon dioxide
Bacteria - Lactic acid

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9874 on: February 04, 2018, 01:40:27 pm »
+1
Physiologically its because they follow different metabolic pathways, they have different enzymes that cause the breakdown into different products. I don't know why they evolved differently though - Possibly something to do with the organisms ability to get rid of the waste product.

• Adventurer
« Reply #9875 on: February 04, 2018, 07:02:21 pm »
in terms of learning the content, any home study methods/tips that i could use  :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9876 on: February 04, 2018, 07:11:30 pm »
+3
Hey,
You can read a guide to studying bio that I wrote here. There are also other bio guides and resources here.

Google ‘douchys biology podcast’ or look it up in the ios podcast app. It’s a free podcast specifically for vce bio.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #9877 on: February 05, 2018, 09:29:11 am »
in terms of learning the content, any home study methods/tips that i could use  :)

The main thing I did was smash out exam questions. Aside from that, tables and diagrams are often very useful in bio & drawing them up and sticking them somewhere you will often see them aids remembering the content and connections between ideas.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #9878 on: February 05, 2018, 12:57:22 pm »
+1
although I didn't use it during vce khan academy usually explain concepts simpler and more clear than any teacher ever could. Once you have learnt all the concepts you just need to churn out exams and learn how to word and phrase your answers which can be helped by checking answers.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #9879 on: February 05, 2018, 01:38:08 pm »
although I didn't use it during vce khan academy usually explain concepts simpler and more clear than any teacher ever could. Once you have learnt all the concepts you just need to churn out exams and learn how to word and phrase your answers which can be helped by checking answers.

Note on this: KhanAcademy can be great but goes well and truly beyond the study design at some points so don't panic if you have trouble with some of the things they discuss.

Hiea

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #9880 on: February 06, 2018, 04:54:55 pm »
Hi everyone!

How are ion channels + gated ion channels and channel proteins + carrier proteins related? I assume they're all different classifications of transport proteins, but I don't really understand how they overlap and connect (if at all) and the exact distinctions they each have. For example, are carrier proteins a form of gated ion channel? How so? It's all quite confusing to me.  ???
2018 - 2019 : Biology [45] Japanese SL [45] JLPT N2
2020 - : BMedSc/MD @ Monash University

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #9881 on: February 06, 2018, 05:18:46 pm »
+4
Hi everyone!

How are ion channels + gated ion channels and channel proteins + carrier proteins related? I assume they're all different classifications of transport proteins, but I don't really understand how they overlap and connect (if at all) and the exact distinctions they each have. For example, are carrier proteins a form of gated ion channel? How so? It's all quite confusing to me.  ???

I don't know how much detail is needed for the new study design, so please bear with me -- hopefully somebody more learned can come along and help. At least in my study design, I was never asked too much detail on these.

There are two types of transport proteins, being carrier proteins and channel proteins.

Carrier proteins are glycoproteins embedded in the cell membrane that carry specific large molecules.. The solute will bind to one side of the carrier protein. The carrier protein will move shape in a way that will move the solute into the cell, where it is then released (the mechanisms of how exactly are beyond VCE). Carrier proteins can move items passively (via facilitated diffusion) or through through active transport. This means that it can move against the concentration gradient.

Channel proteins are lipoproteins embedded in the cell membrane.Rather than allowing the substance to bind to them, they have a pore which substances travel through. They can only undergo passive transport (via facilitated diffusion), so they cannot go against the concentration gradient. Some of these channel proteins also carry ions, which is where ion channels come in.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9882 on: February 06, 2018, 05:27:30 pm »
+1
Carrier proteins are not a type of gated ion channel - ion channels are strictly for ions whereas carrier proteins can transport other molecules too.

You don't need to know much about ion channels, the only thing I know about them is that they are involved in the movement of neurotransmitters and very generally how they work (for VCE, they pretty much work the same as carrier proteins).

• Adventurer
« Reply #9883 on: February 08, 2018, 09:20:33 pm »
Hi, can someone explain compartmentalization i dont get it?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9884 on: February 08, 2018, 09:29:39 pm »
+7
Hi, can someone explain compartmentalization i dont get it?
Hey,
Basically it allows different environments. It is when an area is separated from its environment by a membrane.

For example one organelle might need more of a substance than another organelle. Compartmentalisation means that the organelle can pump that substance inside and keep it there in higher concentration.

This also works between cells, for example a heart cell might need more glucose than blood cell. If there wasn’t compartmentalisation, they could not have different concentrations. This also applies for allowing slightly different conditions, eg. pH

Imagine your street is an organism. Each house is a cell (compartment). It’s a really hot day, so you all have your air conditioners on, but you’re all fussy people and like having your aircons set to different temperatures. If the house walls (cell membrane) were not there, you could not have different temperatures, and the cool air would escape into the street.