Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:52:49 pm

Author Topic: AOS Notes  (Read 748 times)

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
AOS Notes
« on: April 27, 2018, 11:19:32 am »
I never made notes for the AOS the first time I studied it, coming back to it now I'm wondering what's the best way to organise my notes- by discovery, theme, etc..
thanks
ARTEXPRESS 2019

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: AOS Notes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:50:11 am »
+2
There really ~isn't~ a best way to organise notes for discovery because the essay question for the paper differs each year. However, the way I organise my notes for AOS is by before discovery // during discovery // after discovery because I found it easier for me to remember the events of my texts but also I was able to review the impact of discovery on the individual and how they've changed from the start. But also sorting out your notes in themes would be heaps helpful because they might ask for a specific type of discovery in the exam.

Obviously this is just my opinion and how I sorted out my notes for the AOS. Keen to hear thoughts from current/past students :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 12:54:19 pm »
+2
Hey,

I can't definitively say how I studied for AOS. I definitely adjusted my prepared essay to multiple different questions (which basically meant it was hardly a prepared essay at all, because it was so versatile). This meant that I was constantly referring to the rubric to find new ways of relating and connecting ideas, and it also meant I was constantly referring back to my related text and prescribed text looking for new evidence to support new ideas. So I guess my study for AOS was quickly active rather than still. I didn't really focus on charts until later in the game when I made a essay plan/study chart to look at just before the exam.

I did make a big effort of pretty much memorising the rubric though. In a way this happened organically, and for the blank gaps I focused on filling them in with conscious studying of the rubric. This helped me to think on my feet in the exam because I could refer back to different rubric statements to help me connect ideas :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 02:10:11 pm »
+2
Hey there,
Tables are really useful for organising English notes, regardless of module. I would have a column for technique, quote, analysis. In my analysis section, I would include a rubric point there so it's easier to link back to Discovery. However, there's no 'correct' way in studying for English. It depends on what kind of learner you are (audio, visual, kinaesthetic, rote). Practice essays are also something I would do, however, I would prepare essay plans with a malleable thesis for English exams.

However, Elyse made a great point of memorising the rubric because you need to be able to apply this to short answer responses, essays and creative pieces.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW