Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 05:28:29 pm

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 435743 times)  Share 

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #1020 on: July 28, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
Btw, (especially for SquidsofDoom), I'm most likely to go for sport leadership as my first priority, and maths leadership as my second priority. Is anyone else wanting to go for a leadership position?
i don't know, but I'm considering school captain
Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu
Ombi kuzddurbagu gundum-ishi
Nugu gurunkilu bard gurutu
Ash Burz-Durbagu burzum-ishi
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #1021 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:28 pm »
i don't know, but I'm considering school captain

I don't think you can do that until Year 12?

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
  • The key to success, is failure.
  • Respect: +139
« Reply #1022 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:54 pm »
I'm gonna stray from the cliche and say "you better do well :PP" (glhf ahah)
How are you feeling about the interviews?
Haha Shadestache, I'll do well for you. Only for you. :)

I'm sorta excited. Tbh, my heart was in my mouth when I saw the email in the inbox. I quickly read over the first few lines and was like "phew!". I probably won't prepare too much tbh, because I don't know how to lol.

I'm excited to hear from you guys as well!

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1023 on: July 28, 2017, 07:12:29 pm »

I'm sorta excited. Tbh, my heart was in my mouth when I saw the email in the inbox. I quickly read over the first few lines and was like "phew!". I probably won't prepare too much tbh, because I don't know how to lol.

Ahah yeah, so much for 'late August'.
As for preparation, you've given pretty good advice to other people, so you should follow it as well.
Though, I don't think you even need to prepare, you already know what to say and do. 
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1024 on: July 28, 2017, 07:15:39 pm »
Ahah yeah, so much for 'late August'.
As for preparation, you've given pretty good advice to other people, so you should follow it as well.
Though, I don't think you even need to prepare, you already know what to say and do. 

Yeah late August lol. The receptionist probably thought I was talking about year 9 entry, even though I said year 11 lol.

Mate, I think I might cry from all of these compliments from you haha. Nah really. cheers man, but I still probs need to get someone to ask me a few questions. :)

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1025 on: July 28, 2017, 07:28:12 pm »
Yeah late August lol. The receptionist probably thought I was talking about year 9 entry, even though I said year 11 lol.

Mate, I think I might cry from all of these compliments from you haha. Nah really. cheers man, but I still probs need to get someone to ask me a few questions. :)

I've posted practice interview a few times already. It feels repetitive posting them again, but yeah, it should just be general stuff.
My logic is that: if you really care, you'll find a way.
Even if you don't do a ton of preparation, yet you care a lot about the school, you'll be able to naturally answer the question.

Guys, I really need some advice :')
Lately, I haven't been as productive or as versatile as I've hoped to be. ARGHHHHHHHH
Do you guys have a solid schedule that you follow? Or something that helps maintain productivity? Or some advice for my dumb-ass to follow?
It's difficult to balance things out, especially when you have a lot of interests and aspirations :')
Thanks

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1026 on: July 28, 2017, 07:59:38 pm »

wait so are you trying out for JMSS too or just SCHS
I've posted practice interview a few times already. It feels repetitive posting them again, but yeah, it should just be general stuff.
My logic is that: if you really care, you'll find a way.
Even if you don't do a ton of preparation, yet you care a lot about the school, you'll be able to naturally answer the question.

Lately, I haven't been as productive or as versatile as I've hoped to be. ARGHHHHHHHH
Do you guys have a solid schedule that you follow? Or something that helps maintain productivity? Or some advice for my dumb-ass to follow?
It's difficult to balance things out, especially when you have a lot of interests and aspirations :')
Thanks

hm well it depends on what you wish to be more productive at. Like curricularly speaking?
I don't think you can do that until Year 12?
oh that's what I thought you meant (Whoops I forgot other year levels can be captain too cause at our school only year 12s can be)
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1027 on: July 28, 2017, 08:10:18 pm »
Btw, (especially for SquidsofDoom), I'm most likely to go for sport leadership as my first priority, and maths leadership as my second priority. Is anyone else wanting to go for a leadership position?
I'm not sure what kind of captains they have at jmss ahaha but I definitely want to try out cause I'm currently form captain at my school haha

EDIT: okay guys I need some help with this maths problem hahah ive tried to solve it but it hasn't worked out. I think you use pronumerals to find the side and then use a simultaneous equation to solve it? Idk

A rectangle ABCD has sides AB=CD=34cm. E is a point on CD such that CE=9cm and ED=25. AE is perpendicular to EB. What is the length of BC?

good luck guys haha I love these types of questions but damn I'm stuck
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:49:03 pm by emonerd »
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1028 on: July 28, 2017, 08:52:02 pm »
Thanks
There are some great ways to study effectively and be productive.
I think a good way is to try and work for a solid 25-30mins, or even less if you have to, and then give yourself a 5-10 minute break. This will help to keep your mind fresh and will also motivate you to continue doing work. There is an app called "Pomodoro Timer", and this is great for what I have outlined. This set a 'reward' timer for after you're done, to just relax and freshen up. Great if you want to study for a few hours.

Before you begin studying, you can also try and set yourself goals that you have to complete. An example could be "complete exercises A and B of chapter 1 for maths". Then, if you want, set yourself a reward for completing the goals, mainly to motivate yourself to study. This way, you know what you have to finish, and it will become easier to track your progress.

If you become easily distracted by websites like YouTube, Facebook or ever ATARnotes, you can block them (idk why you would want to block AN but anyway). There is an extension on Chrome called 'StayFocusd'. This allows you to block certain websites for a specific amount of time, and you can't unblock them until the timer runs out. This is great if you just want to smash out an essay or heaps of maths questions. Only do this if you are really sure you won't regret blocking the websites, because there is literally no way you can unblock them until the timer is finished. You can even set a short timer for after your work period ends, that will automatically unblock all of the websites. This time can be used to check Facebook, ATARnotes or watch a few YouTube videos, and as soon as this timer is over, the websites become blocked again. Once again, only if you are dead sure you won't regret it.

These are only a few ways that you can study efficiently, but definitely not the only ways! You can search up some great methods on Google, that you may prefer over the ones above. Happy studying! :)

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1029 on: July 28, 2017, 08:57:05 pm »
I think a good way is to try and work for a solid 25-30mins, or even less if you have to, and then give yourself a 5-10 minute break. This will help to keep your mind fresh and will also motivate you to continue doing work. There is an app called "Pomodoro Timer", and this is great for what I have outlined. This set a 'reward' timer for after you're done, to just relax and freshen up. Great if you want to study for a few hours.

Before you begin studying, you can also try and set yourself goals that you have to complete. An example could be "complete exercises A and B of chapter 1 for maths". Then, if you want, set yourself a reward for completing the goals, mainly to motivate yourself to study. This way, you know what you have to finish, and it will become easier to track your progress.

If you become easily distracted by websites like YouTube, Facebook or ever ATARnotes, you can block them (idk why you would want to block AN but anyway). There is an extension on Chrome called 'StayFocusd'. This allows you to block certain websites for a specific amount of time, and you can't unblock them until the timer runs out. This is great if you just want to smash out an essay or heaps of maths questions. Only do this if you are really sure you won't regret blocking the websites, because there is literally no way you can unblock them until the timer is finished. You can even set a short timer for after your work period ends, that will automatically unblock all of the websites. This time can be used to check Facebook, ATARnotes or watch a few YouTube videos, and as soon as this timer is over, the websites become blocked again. Once again, only if you are dead sure you won't regret it.

These are only a few ways that you can study efficiently, but definitely not the only ways! You can search up some great methods on Google, that you may prefer over the ones above. Happy studying! :)

Thank you for answering with great detail.
I've heard of Pomodoro Timer, though I don't think that it'll work out for me. I'll try out StayFocusd, it'll probably help out heaps. Thanks again! :')

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1030 on: July 28, 2017, 08:57:29 pm »

holy crap that's super helpful for me too because ever since the jmss test and ever since i stopped doing tutoring I haven't been doing anything productive. Thanks !!
2019 -Biology

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1031 on: July 28, 2017, 09:04:50 pm »
Ok here are some really badass Latin quotes that can help us get through this:
"Ilea iacta est"
"The die has been cast"
This one should help with the interviews, as there is not much to worry about for there is currently not much we can change.
Then there is this one, which seems contradictory, but I shall explain:
"astra inclinant sed non obligant"
"The stars incline us, but they do not blind us"
Basically saying that even if we are being steered in some direction by destiny or whatnot, we are ultimately in control.
Wow I sound like a fortune teller.
Btw I have heaps more really badass Latin quotes that are much better than these. if you want them, just ask
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1032 on: July 28, 2017, 09:08:43 pm »
Thank you for answering with great detail.
I've heard of Pomodoro Timer, though I don't think that it'll work out for me. I'll try out StayFocusd, it'll probably help out heaps. Thanks again! :')
No worries!
Everyone has different ways of studying efficiently and people prefer some things over others. Search up some stuff on how to stay productive on Google, you'll find some great things on there! :)
holy crap that's super helpful for me too because ever since the jmss test and ever since i stopped doing tutoring I haven't been doing anything productive. Thanks !!
Haha don't worry! I don't think I have done a single piece of homework since term 3 started! It's hard studying when you don't have a certain goal you want to achieve, short term, such as the JMSS test. Hopefully you, and I, can get back on track and be productive!

Good luck!
"Ilea iacta est"
"The die has been cast"
This one should help with the interviews, as there is not much to worry about for there is currently not much we can change.
Basically saying that even if we are being steered in some direction by destiny or whatnot, we are ultimately in control.
Btw I have heaps more really badass Latin quotes that are much better than these. if you want them, just ask
Some great quotes there! That's also one thing I forgot to mention, another way you can effectively study is by sticking up quotes on the walls. Great way to motivate yourself!

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #1033 on: July 28, 2017, 09:11:46 pm »
"Ilea iacta est"
"The die has been cast"

gee thanks squid, next time I need Latin quotes I'll hit you up.  ;D ;D hehe jks.
I, on the other hand, actually kinda enjoy studying (ikr, what is wrong with me). i try to get all of my homework finished in class (I'm very efficient) or at lunch in the library (I'm a loner) so I don't have to do too much at home.  ;)
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1034 on: July 28, 2017, 09:22:33 pm »
gee thanks squid, next time I need Latin quotes I'll hit you up.  ;D ;D hehe jks.
I, on the other hand, actually kinda enjoy studying (ikr, what is wrong with me). i try to get all of my homework finished in class (I'm very efficient) or at lunch in the library (I'm a loner) so I don't have to do too much at home.  ;)
argh whenever I try and do my homework in the library my friends follow me there and distract me and before I know it I'm arm wrestling with someone I don't even know or something lmfao.
2019 -Biology