Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:20:28 pm

Author Topic: Help : Physiology and Pharmacology (please read update below)!!!  (Read 3344 times)  Share 

23serenity

• Trailblazer
  • Hi I am nathan
  • Respect: +1
Help : Physiology and Pharmacology (please read update below)!!!
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:13:48 pm »
PHYSIOLOGY AND PHARMACOLOGY DOUBLE MAJOR (2ND YEAR S2000)

As in bold, I would like to major the above,
however I would like some help picking electives.
I have 3 spots for electives and would like to know IF there are any electives that could help or is related with this major
Because I did do SCI1020 in first year, I would take STA1010
Please let me know if you can help or who I can contact for help

Regards
-Nathan

Mod edit: edited title.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:29:20 pm by 23serenity »

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
Re: Help : Physiology and Pharmacology
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:18:37 pm »
+2
Science Student Service is your best bet - they have (free) course advisers ready to help you.

Have you got an idea of what your course plan is so far? Have you done any units from either major yet?
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:48:57 pm »
+3
Hey 23Serenity,

I have a few friends who are doing that double major. Do whichever electives you think may keep your interest. If you want something close to it, I would suggest that maybe you look at doing some electives in biochemistry, chemistry, immunology, pathology, microbiology, genetics or molecular biology. I would suggest that you have a look at what VanillaRice has said though. Definitely will be helpful! 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

23serenity

• Trailblazer
  • Hi I am nathan
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:46:28 pm »
Science Student Service is your best bet - they have (free) course advisers ready to help you.

Have you got an idea of what your course plan is so far? Have you done any units from either major yet?

Hello, thank you for your response
I've been to student services but they only tell me to go with what my interests are
I understand that they are electives, but I would like to take something that is closely related to the 2 majors
Regarding the units from either major, I haven't taken any before. This will be my first time.

My course plan is as follows

SEM 1
- PHY2011
- SCI2010
- Elective (x2)

SEM 2
- PHY2032
- PHY2042
- PHA2022
- STA1010

Please let me know if that is an okay course plan or if you recommend anything else.
Thank you for any further help
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:50:40 pm by 23serenity »

23serenity

• Trailblazer
  • Hi I am nathan
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:14 pm »
Hey 23Serenity,

I have a few friends who are doing that double major. Do whichever electives you think may keep your interest. If you want something close to it, I would suggest that maybe you look at doing some electives in biochemistry, chemistry, immunology, pathology, microbiology, genetics or molecular biology. I would suggest that you have a look at what VanillaRice has said though. Definitely will be helpful! 

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the electives you suggested, is there any that is most 'easiest' or 'understandable'
I understand science does require a lot of knowledge and understanding but considering I am doing a double major, I guess it will be more work or harder? I am just guessing though. I hear people say physio is fairly easy? but I tend to stress over things a lot so would like something a little more light weight.

Thank you for any further help

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:11:41 am »
+2
Regarding the electives you suggested, is there any that is most 'easiest' or 'understandable'
I understand science does require a lot of knowledge and understanding but considering I am doing a double major, I guess it will be more work or harder? I am just guessing though. I hear people say physio is fairly easy? but I tend to stress over things a lot so would like something a little more light weight.
Depends on the person. While some have found it easy, others have said it's super difficult.

As for my experience, I've done an extended major in genetics with a minor in chemistry. The former includes a hidden minor in molecular biology. I can only speak for the units I've done. Since MCB2011 (molecular biology) has been revamped by 2016, I would consider this to be probably accessible to most science students in the biology sort of area. You can find my review for it here.

I also forgot that, if you're willing to travel between campuses and have checked if this is allowed (usually is), to take a Pharmacy/ Pharmaceutical Science unit as an elective. The catch here is that you must check with the Science Student Services to see whether this is fine with what you've already done and fulfilled their prerequisites. Insanipi may be a good point of call regarding those.

If you want some reviews on any of these units, I would advise you check out the Monash Subject Review thread. If they are not available, please ask in the appropriate review requesting thread (link within previous).
VTAC Info Thread

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:28:15 am »
PHY2011 - Best unit e v e r
PHA2022 - Worst unit e v e r
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

23serenity

• Trailblazer
  • Hi I am nathan
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 05:36:06 pm »
PHY2011 - Best unit e v e r
PHA2022 - Worst unit e v e r

Hello, thank you for your comment
Could you please let me know what made you not like PHA2022?

Kind regards
-Nathan

23serenity

• Trailblazer
  • Hi I am nathan
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:53:22 pm »
Depends on the person. While some have found it easy, others have said it's super difficult.

As for my experience, I've done an extended major in genetics with a minor in chemistry. The former includes a hidden minor in molecular biology. I can only speak for the units I've done. Since MCB2011 (molecular biology) has been revamped by 2016, I would consider this to be probably accessible to most science students in the biology sort of area. You can find my review for it here.

I also forgot that, if you're willing to travel between campuses and have checked if this is allowed (usually is), to take a Pharmacy/ Pharmaceutical Science unit as an elective. The catch here is that you must check with the Science Student Services to see whether this is fine with what you've already done and fulfilled their prerequisites. Insanipi may be a good point of call regarding those.

If you want some reviews on any of these units, I would advise you check out the Monash Subject Review thread. If they are not available, please ask in the appropriate review requesting thread (link within previous).

Hello, thank you AngelWings

Regarding what you mentioned about travelling between campuses, where did you hear that this was allowed?
I will also be sure to call Student Services asap to confirm this.
However the due date for subject selection is tomorrow, I would definitely want to avoid the fine
So would you suggest that now, I just put any electives down now and change them after?

Regards
-N

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 07:17:03 pm »
So would you suggest that now, I just put any electives down now and change them after?

Regards
-N
Yeah I would definitely put your enrolment in before the deadline. I'm also pretty sure that you can change your units anytime before the census date (which is about week 3 of semester?) :)

With regards to unit choice, I believe that molecular biology and biochemistry are units which are applicable to pharmacology, so you might be interested in having a look at those.
VCE 2015-16

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 11:16:19 pm »
+2
Regarding what you mentioned about travelling between campuses, where did you hear that this was allowed?
I will also be sure to call Student Services asap to confirm this.
However the due date for subject selection is tomorrow, I would definitely want to avoid the fine
Yeah, definitely take VanillaRice's advice on hand. Even if you insert dodgy units that you know you'll hate in, as long as they're filled, you're technically enrolled for next year and can certainly change this as much as you like until that census date come 2018.

As for doing cross-campus study, I have plenty of friends who studied Japanese at Clayton and did their compulsory units in Caulfield (not BSc) and another who does the pharmacology major with a pharmaceutical science unit in Parkville (or so I've been told). I don't see how, if you can allocate enough time to travel and you have the prerequisites, that couldn't be at least a possibility. As I said though, it is run by a different department, so it's up to the Science Student Services to give the executive decision.
VTAC Info Thread

23serenity

• Trailblazer
  • Hi I am nathan
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 01:28:25 pm »
UPDATE.

Hello guys,

Could someone let me know what jobs you can get with this degree (physio/pharmacol) whether if it’s using just the one of the two or both of the majors.

I actually don’t know why I am studying this.. I want to be a pharmacist so I guess these are the closest I can get to right now then enter the graduate program. If I don’t make that, I meed alternatives, so please let me know what I can do with this double major.

Thank you

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
Re: Help : Physiology and Pharmacology (please read update below)!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 10:42:59 pm »
+2
UPDATE.

Hello guys,

Could someone let me know what jobs you can get with this degree (physio/pharmacol) whether if it’s using just the one of the two or both of the majors.

I actually don’t know why I am studying this.. I want to be a pharmacist so I guess these are the closest I can get to right now then enter the graduate program. If I don’t make that, I meed alternatives, so please let me know what I can do with this double major.

Thank you
Saw your new thread - posting here so everything is together.

Potential broad career pathways can include:
Research/academia/other lab work
Work in the pharmaceutical industry
Science journalism
Science education
Other work not directly science-related e.g. management/business/administrative positions in a life science-oriented company

I don't have any more information about the demand, salaries etc. for these careers, but this should get you started :)
VCE 2015-16