Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:58:17 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605878 times)  Share 

M_BONG

Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1290 on: February 26, 2014, 08:14:37 pm »
What is a disadvantage of Responsible Government?
I'm finding it hard to identify a strong disadvantage for responsible government, any help would be appreciated!
... There isn't any disadvantage that I can think of. Why do you need to know the answer to this? Pretty sure evaluating representative and responsible govt is not part of the Study design.

However, responsible government does not, in practice, occur in Australia at all times. This means the government has to be selective in its policies - ie. appealing to the majority only, and sometimes neglecting minority views.

It can also force the government to divulge sensitive information? (ie. to reveal their policies to appear accountable) OR be forced to act according to the whims of its political party and the people, rather than something in according to their conscience. (sort of linked in with representative govt).

Eg. If a government is elected with the promise not to legalise euthanasia/gay-marriage etc. and it decided, despite public backlash and parliament disapproval, to implement it, the government can be seen to be in contempt of responsible government (to be accountable to the people); it can be forced to resign (best example currently Abbott's threat of double dissolution due to Carbon Tax and allegations of Labor not being accountable to the electorate).
Sorry for the long, windy answer..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:17:55 pm by Zezima. »

Bluegirl

« Reply #1291 on: February 26, 2014, 08:31:03 pm »
When it says to describe the key features of the Australian parliamentary system, if it referring to the principles; rep. gov. responsible gov. and separation of powers..?
Thanks

Politics

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Emnanuel College
« Reply #1292 on: February 26, 2014, 08:36:08 pm »
When it says to describe the key features of the Australian parliamentary system, if it referring to the principles; rep. gov. responsible gov. and separation of powers..?
Thanks
Thanks for the answer Zezima, the gay marriage 'example' i will try to use as a disadvantage if the question does pop up.

Anyways, yes, when it says to describe the Key features of the Australian Parliamentary System, it is referring to Responsible and Representative government aswell as SoP.
2013 : VET IDM [39]
2014 : English | Psychology | Legal | Economics | Further

The Brightest Witch

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1293 on: February 26, 2014, 09:18:23 pm »
What is a disadvantage of Responsible Government?
I'm finding it hard to identify a strong disadvantage for responsible government, any help would be appreciated!

A responsible government means that the party and therefore parliament is is held accountable to voters. If there are strong conflicting views in society, there may not be a clear majority opinion. This could make government reluctant to pass legislation in this area so as not to lose voters, thus delaying or preventing a change in the law. (Add example about the endless debate on public marriage)
VCE: English, Health, Legal, Psych, Further, Chem
2015: Arts/Law @ Monash

Guys I only doubled with Arts because I couldn't let go of Psych and wanted to keep doing it as a major at least, but I took International Studies on a whim after the info session just because I needed a minor, and I love it so much! It's 3:29am and I had to share this, I think I'm majoring in it bye.

Bluegirl

« Reply #1294 on: March 02, 2014, 06:15:38 pm »
Making and Breaking the Law sample exam question:
Explain the role and function of the Victorian Law Reform Commission. Is the VLRC effective in influencing a change in the law?

1. It says 8 marks, but is this really an 8 mark type question?
2. I don't know about the second part of the question, could someone help?

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School: A random school
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #1295 on: March 02, 2014, 06:35:25 pm »
+1
Making and Breaking the Law sample exam question:
Explain the role and function of the Victorian Law Reform Commission. Is the VLRC effective in influencing a change in the law?

1. It says 8 marks, but is this really an 8 mark type question?
2. I don't know about the second part of the question, could someone help?

Knowing the effectiveness of the VLRC is no longer in the study design, this only applies to petitions, demonstrations and the use of the media specifically (or any other methods you choose to study in addition to these).
The part about the role and function would not be an 8 marker, more like a 4, maximum 6 marker but shouldn't be any more.
Although you may wish to use an example e.g. Surveillance or abortion law reform to lengthen your answer and get the maximum marks for the question if it is indeed an 8 marker.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1296 on: March 02, 2014, 11:53:33 pm »
+1
The effectiveness of the VLRC was never in the SD. Keep in mind, though, that evaluating is one of the Key Skills, and so can in theory be applied to anything - eg, the 7-marker in 2012.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

Politics

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School: Emnanuel College
« Reply #1297 on: March 03, 2014, 07:19:26 pm »
Is anyone able to provide an example of a Petition within Australia that has been logged? Preferably one that is relatively easy to remember, however any would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
2013 : VET IDM [39]
2014 : English | Psychology | Legal | Economics | Further

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School: A random school
« Reply #1298 on: March 03, 2014, 07:26:50 pm »
Is anyone able to provide an example of a Petition within Australia that has been logged? Preferably one that is relatively easy to remember, however any would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

In theory, all petitions, providing they meet the proper guidelines, would be logged...
For an example (you could mention any petition) you could say the abortion law reform in 2008, while being debated in vic parl, gained many petitions from pro life organizations and the general public, highlighting their concern regarding the issue. Your textbook probs has a better and more detailed one though, I'd consult that first.

The Brightest Witch

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1299 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:19 pm »
Analyse the method of changing the wording in the Constitution. In your analysis, discuss at least 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses of of the process.

I've never done an analyse question before (only identify, explain, discuss, evaluate), so I'm not sure how to approach this?
VCE: English, Health, Legal, Psych, Further, Chem
2015: Arts/Law @ Monash

Guys I only doubled with Arts because I couldn't let go of Psych and wanted to keep doing it as a major at least, but I took International Studies on a whim after the info session just because I needed a minor, and I love it so much! It's 3:29am and I had to share this, I think I'm majoring in it bye.

M_BONG

« Reply #1300 on: March 20, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »
Analyse the method of changing the wording in the Constitution. In your analysis, discuss at least 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses of of the process.

I've never done an analyse question before (only identify, explain, discuss, evaluate), so I'm not sure how to approach this?
Haha yeah analysis questions... I was in the same position as you lAst year EXCEPT the first time I ever saw an "analyse" question was on the actual legal exam last year so I was really screwed..

Basically, "analyse" wants you to use relevant statistics/examples to support your opinion of whether you think methods of changing the Constitution is good or bad.

You're not expected to be an expert analyst on the topic so you can think of "analyse" questions as an "evaluate" question with perhaps a slight emphasis on relevant examples and statistics (Eg throw In relevant stats such as only 44 ref proposals have occurred; 8 successful, all changed div of power in favour of states etc) to support your point.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:19:41 pm by Yhprum »

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1301 on: March 20, 2014, 10:39:20 pm »

'Analyse' just means exactly the same thing as 'evaluate': opinion, and reasons (S&W) on both sides. Don't sweat it.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

clidedescope

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1302 on: March 23, 2014, 12:44:15 pm »
Hey guys, I have a SAC soon and I'm a bit concerned because I'm getting different messages, and I just wanted to know if somebody could clarify for me?
When a constitutional alteration bill is being passed by the two houses of parliament, I know it can either have an absolute majority in both houses, or in one house twice. But I'm unsure of the time period. One of my resources is telling me you have the pass the bill in the first house twice within three months, and the other says you have to wait three months after the first time before you can try to pass it again. Does anybody know which is correct?
2013: Psychology [35]
2014: Legal studies [40] Further [44] English [42] HHD [41] Literature [33]
Atar: 93.45
2015: Bachelor of Secondary Education (Honours) / Arts at Monash Clayton
Available for tutoring in all subjects I scored 40+ in! PM if you are interested.

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #1303 on: March 23, 2014, 01:04:37 pm »
Hey guys, I have a SAC soon and I'm a bit concerned because I'm getting different messages, and I just wanted to know if somebody could clarify for me?
When a constitutional alteration bill is being passed by the two houses of parliament, I know it can either have an absolute majority in both houses, or in one house twice. But I'm unsure of the time period. One of my resources is telling me you have the pass the bill in the first house twice within three months, and the other says you have to wait three months after the first time before you can try to pass it again. Does anybody know which is correct?

Here is what the constitution says on the matter:
if after an interval of three months the first-mentioned House in the same or the next session again passes the proposed law by an absolute majority
Source: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/~/link.aspx?_id=630FA7763BE64933B172A7D7E1615ADA&_z=z

The book that says there has to be at least a three month wait is correct. Out of interest which is the book that got it wrong?
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

clidedescope

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1304 on: March 23, 2014, 01:24:50 pm »
Here is what the constitution says on the matter: Source: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/~/link.aspx?_id=630FA7763BE64933B172A7D7E1615ADA&_z=z

The book that says there has to be at least a three month wait is correct. Out of interest which is the book that got it wrong?

Ah, thank you so much, that's a big help :)
Interestingly enough, I got two different answers from the same book, Justice and Outcomes. Page 127 said after three months, but then a flow chart on the next page it said within three months. My TSFX notes said after, and my A+ Notes book (written by the same person who wrote Justice and Outcomes, I believe) said within, though my copy of it is an older edition, so there's that. I was tad worried. My teacher just makes us take notes from the textbook, so I didn't know which answer she'd mark as correct.
Thanks again!
2013: Psychology [35]
2014: Legal studies [40] Further [44] English [42] HHD [41] Literature [33]
Atar: 93.45
2015: Bachelor of Secondary Education (Honours) / Arts at Monash Clayton
Available for tutoring in all subjects I scored 40+ in! PM if you are interested.