Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:21:22 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605976 times)  Share 

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1950 on: October 13, 2016, 11:37:40 pm »
Hey all,

I was just curious to see how you guys/your teachers were interpreting this key knowledge point from the study design (U4 AOS2):
"Problems and difficulties faced by individuals in using the legal system."

I noticed there weren't any 'key skills' relevant to this point, so I was wondering exactly how one would go about learning this topic?
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1951 on: October 14, 2016, 03:27:19 pm »
Hey all,

I was just curious to see how you guys/your teachers were interpreting this key knowledge point from the study design (U4 AOS2):
"Problems and difficulties faced by individuals in using the legal system."

I noticed there weren't any 'key skills' relevant to this point, so I was wondering exactly how one would go about learning this topic?

Grab maybe three 'headline' problems (eg cost, complexity, etc) and find a range of specific examples of that being a problem, covering a range of content points from across Unit 4 (venues, methods, trial, pre-trial, etc). The just learn it :)
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1952 on: October 14, 2016, 03:28:28 pm »
I think its asking for one civil remedy. If it was in general it'd be "outline the purpose of civil remedies". So in this case, you could just talk about the purpose of damages or injunctions.  :)

Yes, I agree; the article (in terms of grammar) is always important: a, the, some, etc.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1953 on: October 16, 2016, 05:45:29 pm »
Does anyone know of any recent changes to technology (ie. the last year or two)? Or, is anyone aware of a good website where I can find recent changes relating to technology?

Thanks!
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

ccdes0001

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Mill park
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1954 on: October 17, 2016, 04:30:58 pm »
Australiaís approach to the constitutional protection of democratic and human rights is different from, and
not as effective as, the approach adopted in the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New
Zealand and South Africa.
Compare Australiaís approach to the constitutional protection of democratic and human rights with the approach
adopted in one of the countries listed above. In your answer, evaluate how effective the Commonwealth of
Australiaís Constitution is in protecting democratic and human rights.

Can someone help me to structure an answer to this
Thanks

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1955 on: October 17, 2016, 05:51:17 pm »
Hey,

Does anyone know if we are required to evaluate the relationship between courts and parliament? For example, evaluating parliaments ability to codify precedents.

Thanks!  :)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1956 on: October 19, 2016, 09:27:33 pm »
Can someone please explain what is required for an 'analyse' question. I have been receiving conflicting information.

For example, in the question 'analyse the impact of one referenda on....,' am I just supposed to measure how significant their impact is and factors which may inhibit this impact?

I've heard that I need strengths and weaknesses for this task word.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1957 on: October 19, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »
+1
Can someone please explain what is required for an 'analyse' question. I have been receiving conflicting information.

For example, in the question 'analyse the impact of one referenda on....,' am I just supposed to measure how significant their impact is and factors which may inhibit this impact?

Hey Clarke!
According to the BOSTES definition, to analyse is to: 'Identify components and the relationship between them; draw out and relate implications'
For me, I probably would say to assess the significance, and say why it was as such, and then explain the interdependence/relationship between particular factors and why this is so.
Sorry that probably doesn't make much sense, but what you said is pretty right!
Perhaps for an question that is asking for you to analyse the effectiveness, which would require strengths and weaknesses, but probably not for an impact question I wouldn't think.
Hope that helps you a little! :D

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1958 on: October 19, 2016, 09:55:52 pm »
Whoop sorry!!!
I just realised that I was on a VCE thread by mistake!! :-[ ;)
I hope I helped u a little anyway ;D

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1959 on: October 20, 2016, 03:14:50 pm »
+1

'Analyse' just means the same as a basic evaluate or similar: have an opinion, and then look at a range of arguments in relation to that opinion. Generally these are, yes, strengths and weaknesses - but the wording of the question (like the one you gave) might point you more towards 'big impact versus small impact', or 'efficient versus inefficient', or 'better versus worse', or something like that. So keep the idea of 'arguments for and against' flexible based on the wording of the question. The basic task stays the same.
Good luck!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1960 on: October 20, 2016, 06:29:53 pm »
'Analyse' just means the same as a basic evaluate or similar: have an opinion, and then look at a range of arguments in relation to that opinion. Generally these are, yes, strengths and weaknesses - but the wording of the question (like the one you gave) might point you more towards 'big impact versus small impact', or 'efficient versus inefficient', or 'better versus worse', or something like that. So keep the idea of 'arguments for and against' flexible based on the wording of the question. The basic task stays the same.

Thanks so much Megan!  :)

Inamhkus

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Suzanne Cory High School
« Reply #1961 on: October 20, 2016, 08:40:30 pm »
Hey can someone please help me answer this question from the 2012 exam

Discuss the ability of courts to change the law (6 marks)

Would you just go through strengths/weaknesses?

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1962 on: October 21, 2016, 02:07:27 pm »
Hey Inamhkus,

For a 'discuss' question, it is always a good idea to first state your opinion. This can just be a single sentence.

Yes, you would just be going through the strengths and weaknesses of their ability to do so.

This is another illustration of my point above. It's not asking you to discuss the desirability of their ability - which is what 'strengths and weaknesses of their ability' might signify to some people. That's why I suggest keeping the idea of 'arguments for and against' bigger than just strengths and weaknesses. If you discuss the ability, you're really discussing whether they *have* the ability, or to what extent; so, arguments can and can't make law.
Good luck!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1963 on: October 21, 2016, 02:20:40 pm »
This is another illustration of my point above. It's not asking you to discuss the desirability of their ability - which is what 'strengths and weaknesses of their ability' might signify to some people. That's why I suggest keeping the idea of 'arguments for and against' bigger than just strengths and weaknesses. If you discuss the ability, you're really discussing whether they *have* the ability, or to what extent; so, arguments can and can't make law.

Apologies. Thank-you for clarifying this.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1964 on: October 21, 2016, 02:41:04 pm »
+1
Apologies. Thank-you for clarifying this.

No need to apologise!! And the advice about having an opinion was great. It's just a lot of questions can get a bit confusing if people define 'strengths and weaknesses' too narrowly in their minds :)
Good luck!