Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:49:40 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605808 times)  Share 

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2055 on: November 08, 2016, 08:24:41 pm »
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but how are decisions of VCAT binding and legally enforcable on the parties? is this when the case is presided over by the vice-president/president of VCAT?

Nah all VCAT decisions are legally binding - like, decisions that come from VCAT hearings. As VCAT hearings (by regular members) are conducted through arbitration (or judicial determination when it's the vice-president/president).
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

nm4065

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2056 on: November 08, 2016, 08:31:24 pm »
When asked the means by which the constitution protects rights can we use the High Court in its ability to enforce rights and declare law that infringes rights invalid.  :)

Elleeen

• Adventurer
  • Waiting for the Sandman
« Reply #2057 on: November 08, 2016, 09:10:07 pm »
This year has been a disaster for me in terms of this subject. It went from being my favourite subject to my least favourite, and the one I performed (almost) the worst in.
I know I can't blame my teacher, but honestly it was very difficult both learning, improving and maintaining interest in the subject with her. Whenever she took off marks in SACs she'd never provide reasons why, and the few times I tried to ask about it she said she'd read it over and return it to me next class -- only for me to never see those SACs again. So, I had a bit of a "I give up" mentality, and I've been relying heavily on myself and other resources (e.g. edrolo) to get through this year.

Honestly, I will not be walking into the exam tomorrow feeling confident, and I truly feel horrible about that since this was really the subject I had the most hope for coming into this year.

(Sorry about this rather negative post, I just really had to vent this.)

Can anyone please just give me some last minute tips or hacks to get through tomorrow and potentially maximise my chances of getting a good score?
I'd also like to thank everyone on this thread, even reading through some of the questions helped me learn a lot more. Good luck!

phurell

• Adventurer
« Reply #2058 on: November 08, 2016, 09:22:23 pm »
This year has been a disaster for me in terms of this subject. It went from being my favourite subject to my least favourite, and the one I performed (almost) the worst in.
I know I can't blame my teacher, but honestly it was very difficult both learning, improving and maintaining interest in the subject with her. Whenever she took off marks in SACs she'd never provide reasons why, and the few times I tried to ask about it she said she'd read it over and return it to me next class -- only for me to never see those SACs again. So, I had a bit of a "I give up" mentality, and I've been relying heavily on myself and other resources (e.g. edrolo) to get through this year.

Honestly, I will not be walking into the exam tomorrow feeling confident, and I truly feel horrible about that since this was really the subject I had the most hope for coming into this year.

(Sorry about this rather negative post, I just really had to vent this.)

Can anyone please just give me some last minute tips or hacks to get through tomorrow and potentially maximise my chances of getting a good score?
I'd also like to thank everyone on this thread, even reading through some of the questions helped me learn a lot more. Good luck!

that really sucks that your teacher wasn't able to be supportive/helpful!  :( hopefully no other subjects turn out like this for you.
i find the good thing about legal is that it's a subject that is able to be crammed (imo) if you have good memorisation so i'd recommend reading over summaries and definitely trying to remember key words & CASES! Cases are so helpful when you're unsure of a content answer but know a case that related to that specific area e.g Tasmanian Dam Case on division of law-making power, then you're able to obtain some additional marks and the memory of that content can come back to you! it may not work for everybody but it's definitely one of the ways that i'm able to remember content in legal  :)

good luck tomorrow!!
2016: Legal Studies

2017: Media, English, Biology, Psychology, Ancient History

SexGodDosia

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2059 on: November 08, 2016, 09:31:56 pm »
that really sucks that your teacher wasn't able to be supportive/helpful!  :( hopefully no other subjects turn out like this for you.
i find the good thing about legal is that it's a subject that is able to be crammed (imo) if you have good memorisation so i'd recommend reading over summaries and definitely trying to remember key words & CASES! Cases are so helpful when you're unsure of a content answer but know a case that related to that specific area e.g Tasmanian Dam Case on division of law-making power, then you're able to obtain some additional marks and the memory of that content can come back to you! it may not work for everybody but it's definitely one of the ways that i'm able to remember content in legal  :)

good luck tomorrow!!

same, often reading notes then trying to read them allowed and every time you get it wrong you go
back to the beginning works well.

Once you've read your notes, coming up with single words for s/w of areas that will jog
your memory  helps too

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #2060 on: November 08, 2016, 09:33:09 pm »
what's the diff between judicial determination and arbitration???

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2061 on: November 08, 2016, 10:03:18 pm »
what's the diff between judicial determination and arbitration???

Judicial determination is conducted by a judicial officer (judge), generally with the use of strict rules of evidence and procedure (thus making it a very formal atmosphere). Arbitration is conducted by an arbitrator without the use of rules of evidence and procedure and in a less formal setting than judicial determination.
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #2062 on: November 08, 2016, 11:00:26 pm »
On what basis can we appeal and what can we appeal? Does it differ between courts? It's different for civil and criminal right? Is that that facts of law, question of facts stuff? -- Am I even making sense???

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2063 on: November 08, 2016, 11:06:24 pm »
+1
On what basis can we appeal and what can we appeal? Does it differ between courts? It's different for civil and criminal right? Is that that facts of law, question of facts stuff? -- Am I even making sense???

Criminal Appeals can be on/against:
- Conviction
- Sanction imposed (severity or leniency)
- A point of law

Civil Appeals can be on/against:
- A point of law.
- A question of fact.
- The amount of damages awarded.

Dem16

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2064 on: November 09, 2016, 09:40:54 am »
When asked about how media can influence change in law, do you refer to a specific type of media (e.g. social media) or just talk about media in general?

Samm1

• Adventurer
« Reply #2065 on: November 09, 2016, 09:48:08 am »
Will we need case examples for how pressure groups can influence change? For instance the Media

phurell

• Adventurer
« Reply #2066 on: November 09, 2016, 11:10:06 am »
Will we need case examples for how pressure groups can influence change? For instance the Media

it's definitely better to have as it'll add more depth to an answer and allow the assessor to not take marks off for being vague.

an example could be GetUp! Action for Australia, which is a pressure group that utilize their website as a way of pressuring for legislative change  :)
2016: Legal Studies

2017: Media, English, Biology, Psychology, Ancient History

carlton_99

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2067 on: November 10, 2016, 09:13:45 am »
Have the Legal Studies Sample Responses been released yet by ATAR Notes??

jellybean1029

• Adventurer
  • School: Viewbank college
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2068 on: February 26, 2017, 07:46:08 pm »
I need some help answering this question;
Describe the role of the Victorian Law Reform Commission in assessing the need for a change in the law
Is this asking for the process??

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #2069 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:10 pm »
I need some help answering this question;
Describe the role of the Victorian Law Reform Commission in assessing the need for a change in the law
Is this asking for the process??

Hi Jellybean,

Yes, the process is part of the VLRC's role.

So in your answer you could talk about:

-the VLRC engaging in community wide consultation and debate to assess views
- gathering information from experts who are able to provide advice and special knowledge throughout the process
-making recommendations for law reform on issues referred to it by the attorney-general (or minor issues of community concern which can be conducted without the permission of the attorney-general)

More specific to the role:

-Monitor and coordinate law reform activity in Victoria
-Suggest to the attorney-general that he or she refer a law in need of investigation to the VLRC

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions I am happy to clear them up!  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale