Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:30:10 am

Author Topic: VCE subject change request not approved  (Read 897 times)  Share 

Noteinstein

VCE subject change request not approved
« on: October 16, 2020, 08:52:10 pm »
Anyone know if anything can be done if your subject change request for VCE subjects (2021) wasn't approved?
Tried to change from French 1&2 to Physics 1&2. Submitted the change form in time. Decided recently I definitely don't want to continue with French next year and Physics more likely to be beneficial to me (I am taking Biology and Chemistry too). Plus we've just started doing Physics in our year 10 science subject and I'm enjoying the unit so far. They gave no reason so I've sent an email to ask why. I know the Physics class is running as some of my friends are doing it. Can't be related to my academic performance as there are no issues with that. Same with my school reports - all good. My science teacher fully supported my subject change request (you had to write down a teacher that endorsed your request). Hopefully should get a reply from the person I emailed early next week but if they say I didn't get in as the class is too full, is there anything I can do about this? The only reason I put down French at first (when they first asked for subject choices) is because I couldn't think of any of subject I wanted to do at the time but now I am dead keen on Physics and really don't want to do French.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: VCE subject change request not approved
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 09:05:33 pm »
+1
The main reason for a subject change request to be denied is usually timetable-related. Timetables are constructed using "blocks" and if the subject you want to change into doesn't fit in with the rest of your subject combinations, it usually isn't possible without you shuffling around other subjects as well.

In terms of class sizes and if they come back and say that, unfortunately there isn't much you can do. If your school is a government school, the agreement actually mandates class sizes so no government school can go over a certain amount. If independent, I am sure whatever agreement they are under would contain something similar.

An option you can explore is doing the subject via VSV (dist ed). Unfortunately constructing a timetable is a really bloody hard job, trying to balance student desire vs. the smooth operation of a school (e.g. staffing, class numbers, etc). Not everyone is going to be happy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:08:18 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Noteinstein

Re: VCE subject change request not approved
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:18:41 pm »
Ok, thanks Aaron. That makes sense. I'm guessing it's either a timetable clash or too many in the class already, but I'll see what they say.