Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 12:59:43 pm

Author Topic: First 3/4 methods SAC  (Read 7929 times)  Share 

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
First 3/4 methods SAC
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:49:19 pm »
HaS anyone had their first 3/4 methods sac for this year yet? If so, how was it and what  kind of questions were on the sac?

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
Re: First 3/4 methods SAC
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:51:59 am »
+2
HaS anyone had their first 3/4 methods sac for this year yet? If so, how was it and what  kind of questions were on the sac?
Hello! I did Methods last year, but I can tell you what came up.

As far as I remember, there was trig, implied domain, inverse functions, speed-distance-time application questions, logs and log graphs, exponentials and their graphs, square root graphs etc etc.

Our school divided the sac into three days, with four hours in total. We had 2 hours after school Wednesday, 1 hour Thursday and 1 hour Friday. I remember the Wednesday part being the hardest (speed-distance-time questions were really tricky!) and Thursday's part being the easiest (basic graphing and calculation. Application questions weren't too hard)

If you do most of the textbook questions (and try to do all the chapter review questions if you can!) and do any practice sacs your school gave you, then you have good preparation for it :)

And even if you don't end up doing as well as you thought, don't lose hope! The exam, after all, is what counts the most towards your study score. See the sacs as a diagnostic of how you're going so far in the year leading up to the exam.

Hope that helped!
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 05:09:51 pm »
Hello! I did Methods last year, but I can tell you what came up.

As far as I remember, there was trig, implied domain, inverse functions, speed-distance-time application questions, logs and log graphs, exponentials and their graphs, square root graphs etc etc.

Our school divided the sac into three days, with four hours in total. We had 2 hours after school Wednesday, 1 hour Thursday and 1 hour Friday. I remember the Wednesday part being the hardest (speed-distance-time questions were really tricky!) and Thursday's part being the easiest (basic graphing and calculation. Application questions weren't too hard)

If you do most of the textbook questions (and try to do all the chapter review questions if you can!) and do any practice sacs your school gave you, then you have good preparation for it :)

And even if you don't end up doing as well as you thought, don't lose hope! The exam, after all, is what counts the most towards your study score. See the sacs as a diagnostic of how you're going so far in the year leading up to the exam.

Hope that helped!

Thnx!

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 07:17:34 pm »

I just got the first part of my application task for methods today and it was a fairly straight forward investigation on functions and differentiation, focusing on the mean value theorem. I'm assuming all schools have to choose a 'theme' for the task and then have several sections of the SAC conducted separately, given the details on the VCAA website.
UAdel MBBS

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:13:28 pm »
I just got the first part of my application task for methods today and it was a fairly straight forward investigation on functions and differentiation, focusing on the mean value theorem. I'm assuming all schools have to choose a 'theme' for the task and then have several sections of the SAC conducted separately, given the details on the VCAA website.

Thnx but what is the mean value theorem?

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 07:42:11 am »
+1
Thnx but what is the mean value theorem?

If f(x) is defined and continuous on the interval [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there is at least one number c in the interval (a,b) such that:

UAdel MBBS

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 08:53:39 am »
If f(x) is defined and continuous on the interval [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there is at least one number c in
If f(x) is defined and continuous on the interval [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there is at least one number c in the interval (a,b) such that:

(Image removed from quote.)
ps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/NrKnbPiOHbYf6U-N1eYIc11UPeE05vsS_oA9Y9zZU5hOCdPf8o-P-i89Alz6Tk5CdLxRIVrBsKd47DD1CbtPNVPgr2eldBkdPBo7FtRw2ahl_0A8oMAQYhHTwRG7ccLXoYmD_Qse3w=w422-h117-nc[/img]

Ohhhhhh thnx thnx I get it but we didnt really do that at school????

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:15:24 pm »
ps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/NrKnbPiOHbYf6U-N1eYIc11UPeE05vsS_oA9Y9zZU5hOCdPf8o-P-i89Alz6Tk5CdLxRIVrBsKd47DD1CbtPNVPgr2eldBkdPBo7FtRw2ahl_0A8oMAQYhHTwRG7ccLXoYmD_Qse3w=w422-h117-nc[/img]

Ohhhhhh thnx thnx I get it but we didnt really do that at school????

No it's not actually part of the course, but in the application task you are supposed to be introduced to a mathematical concept you do not have foreknowledge of, but is still an application of stuff you know about. In this case, the mean value theorem is an application of functions and differentiation.
UAdel MBBS