Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:21:09 pm

Author Topic: Can someone check if my introduction is alright?  (Read 1448 times)  Share 

suskieanna

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Can someone check if my introduction is alright?
« on: September 19, 2019, 12:39:47 pm »
I am writing a practice essay on 'All the light we cannot see'. Can someone plz check if my introduction is alright and suggest something to improve my introduction? Thanks!

‘They’ll probably take the blind girls before they take the gimps.’ - pg 65
Does Doerr portray Marie Laure as the most vulnerable character in All the Light?

The historical fiction 'All the light we cannot see' by 'Anthony Doerr' frequently highlights the vulnerability of one of the novel's protagonists, Marie Laure. Doerr indeed portrays Marie Laure as the most vulnerable character in the novel, but he does not represent her as purely vulnerable since he shows her resilience and bravery throughout the novel.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: Can someone check if my introduction is alright?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:59:07 pm »
+2
I am writing a practice essay on 'All the light we cannot see'. Can someone plz check if my introduction is alright and suggest something to improve my introduction? Thanks!

‘They’ll probably take the blind girls before they take the gimps.’ - pg 65
Does Doerr portray Marie Laure as the most vulnerable character in All the Light?

The historical fiction 'All the light we cannot see' by 'Anthony Doerr' frequently highlights the vulnerability of one of the novel's protagonists, Marie Laure. Doerr indeed portrays Marie Laure as the most vulnerable character in the novel, but he does not represent her as purely vulnerable since he shows her resilience and bravery throughout the novel.
I am not familiar with the book, but if I may offer a few pieces of advice to better your introduction.
You should try to include a bit of context into your introduction and link it in to the main themes. This may be the context of the author, or even the context of the society in which it was written.
You should also try to vary your word choice. You've repeated vulnerable a few times, whereas you should really be using other words just to improve your expression. Frail, weak, susceptible are just some words you can use.
The points you make in the introduction are perhaps a bit too general (atleast in my opinion). You don't want too specific in the introduction, but I think your points need a bit more depth to them. It's hard for me to advise how to add this depth since I don't know about the book unfortunately.

But ultimately, you've included the essentials in your introduction which makes it fairly solid. I recommend looking at examiners reports from past exams as they do include sample introductions from highscoring responses. Even if you don't find one for your book, ones from other texts can still help you see what kinda stuff you should be putting into an introduction in order to get those high marks.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Can someone check if my introduction is alright?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 11:50:47 am »
Yes, I agree with the previous person's advice to you, and I also don't know this text well.  If you look at where the quote occurs, you'll see this is a comment on prejudice that has been absorbed even by children.  You might want to investigate this - does Marie Laure feel vulnerable (is she represented as vulnerable) because of the insensitive and cruel attitudes of others and how does she resist this/defy this?