Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 05:07:38 pm

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 435457 times)  Share 

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #1095 on: July 30, 2017, 09:10:55 pm »
exactly !! you should only be able to genetically modify a baby if it's life or wellbeing is on the line. I feel that if we were able to 'design' our babies, it would be too superficial and quite frankly doesn't have any real benefits, other than social factors. I don't know though the whole concept of genetic engineering sounds so intriguing!

The concept is definitely intriguing and it may be inevitable. I get the feeling that we will implement this process - we start off responsible, but once we realise the true power of it, our reality is going to become like all those dystopian sci-fi films and books. People are going to start cloning babies, or try to create a super-baby that they can manipulate for their own desires. Then there's just going to be a Super World War with AIs programmed by genetically-engineered geniuses.

I don't even read comics and I rarely watch movies, but I can imagine this happening XD
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1096 on: July 30, 2017, 09:13:56 pm »
The concept is definitely intriguing and it may be inevitable. I get the feeling that we will implement this process - we start off responsible, but once we realise the true power of it, our reality is going to become like all those dystopian sci-fi films and books. People are going to start cloning babies, or try to create a super-baby that they can manipulate for their own desires. Then there's just going to be a Super World War with AIs programmed by genetically-engineered geniuses.

I don't even read comics and I rarely watch movies, but I can imagine this happening XD
oh dear god, can you imagine if someone life Kim Jong Un got a hold of genetic engineering? he would probably make an army of super-powerful soldiers or something ;-;
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1097 on: July 30, 2017, 09:25:31 pm »
oh dear god, can you imagine if someone life Kim Jong Un got a hold of genetic engineering? he would probably make an army of super-powerful soldiers or something ;-;

Ughhh. He would have an army of super-soldiers that are incredibly strong, smart and strategic. They could be used to enhance nuclear weapons, or be used to torture/kill people in a more brutal manner. I'm more worried about the weapons that North Korea could create. They would create such destructive weapons - more lethal than nuclear bombs and missiles. They're ruthless as hell. They will have the power to launch things and just obliterate everything, like a gamer would in video games.

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
  • The key to success, is failure.
  • Respect: +139
« Reply #1098 on: July 30, 2017, 09:38:01 pm »
this is a bit random haha but what are your opinions on genetically engineered babies? I personally think it's a good idea because many diseases and illnesses which are passed down genetically can be detected and altered so that the child would live a happy life but I think in the wrong hands it could potentially be dangerous? Not to mention, giving people the power to choose what their offspring looked like wouldn't be a great idea in my eyes. What do you guys think ? >_<
I feel that with topics like this, it's very hard to just say, 'yep, seems like a good idea'. There are certain things that we can do, and things that we can't. There are many things scientists have to look at, and every change we make will have some sort of opposite impact somewhere else. For example, if we alter a gene, it could potentially affect some other part of the body, crucial for survival. As you mentioned, techniques such as this allow diseases and illnesses to be eradicated, which is a great idea, but, then the question is raised, 'is it really a good idea to choose our children?'.

Genetically engineering babies, I feel could also create a society gap. Things like social classes and what not could be created from this.

Even though we will be getting rid of diseases such as Down Syndrome, Alzheimer's and so on, we'll be doing so at the expense of genetic diversity. Knowing the human race, it's quite obvious that everyone will want intelligent, good looking children. Every baby having the same personality, the same looks will get rid of genetic diversity, and a lack of genetic diversity has been known to lead to defects and what not.

Of course the whole world has different opinions, and things like this is what causes rifts between societies and countries. On a spiritual level, many would argue that it's not in our place to alter humans. Religion would come into play and rifts and divisions in society will continue to develop.

There are many viewpoints when topics like this are raised, and it's very hard to choose a side, because every positive will have a negative. Some people may say, 'only if the baby's life is on the line', but when is the limit crossed? Who decides when we can genetically engineer our babies and when we can't? There will always be people that argue against everything, and when someone says 'this baby needs to be fixed', they'll be the ones saying, 'no it's not in a shit enough condition'. There are so many perspectives on this and I feel that it's not easy creating a set of rules that dictates what we do and what we don't.

For me personally, it's really hard to comment on these things, because I have so many things to say which I can't put on paper, or in this case AN. The reason being that I don't know how to, I think deeply about these things but can't translate them into words on a piece of paper. From a personal point of view, I think that we as humans don't have the right to choose how we look, or our personality. That's just my opinion though, and I totally respect what others have to say. As the Hindi saying goes 'sab upar wale par chod de'.

EDIT: OMG I wrote so much!  :-\

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1099 on: July 30, 2017, 09:46:49 pm »
Not to mention he would genetically modify the soldiers to look like him too
Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu
Ombi kuzddurbagu gundum-ishi
Nugu gurunkilu bard gurutu
Ash Burz-Durbagu burzum-ishi
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1100 on: July 30, 2017, 09:50:22 pm »
oh no that makes it 100x worse. Now we're going to have heaps of replica bigots running around too
2019 -Biology

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1101 on: July 30, 2017, 09:50:56 pm »
He would modify the whole of North Korea to look like him, oh and think like him.

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1102 on: July 30, 2017, 09:55:32 pm »
Galactic, we pretty much have the same view on genetic-engineered babies.
Often with science and the future, there are so many things that can be said, yet it is difficult to express with words. That's why scientific topics such as this are interesting to discuss because not only are you considering the benefits, you are also considering the detriments. The prospect of designer babies is likely in my opinion and it is something we should be concerned about.

We already have GMOs, which have claimed to withstand harsher conditions, resistant to various diseases, more nutritious and easier to produce. Though this comes at a price. They are reducing biodiversity and could heavily impact customers with allergies if not labelled properly. GMOs may be resistant to many diseases, pests and herbicides, but what will happen when pests and weeds become GMO-resistant? We could make as many resistant things as we want, but eventually, organisms mutate and are able to attack.
With humans, it's so much more complex yet fascinating. The stakes are much higher.

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1103 on: July 30, 2017, 10:02:43 pm »
He would modify the whole of North Korea to look like him, oh and think like him.
Great. Another 23570000 radical fascists with bad haircuts. Just what our world needs
Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu
Ombi kuzddurbagu gundum-ishi
Nugu gurunkilu bard gurutu
Ash Burz-Durbagu burzum-ishi
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1104 on: July 30, 2017, 10:09:16 pm »
Galactic, we pretty much have the same view on genetic-engineered babies.
Often with science and the future, there are so many things that can be said, yet it is difficult to express with words. That's why scientific topics such as this are interesting to discuss because not only are you considering the benefits, you are also considering the detriments. The prospect of designer babies is likely in my opinion and it is something we should be concerned about.

We already have GMOs, which have claimed to withstand harsher conditions, resistant to various diseases, more nutritious and easier to produce. Though this comes at a price. They are reducing biodiversity and could heavily impact customers with allergies if not labelled properly. GMOs may be resistant to many diseases, pests and herbicides, but what will happen when pests and weeds become GMO-resistant? We could make as many resistant things as we want, but eventually, organisms mutate and are able to attack.
With humans, it's so much more complex yet fascinating. The stakes are much higher.
I totally agree. Not only is genetically-engineered babies inevitable, but so are many other scientific ideas. These things scare me so much, when I think of what the human race can achieve. It does more harm than good.

I really want you guys, if you haven't seen it already, to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvnQ2QB4yc

Let me know of your thoughts afterwards. :)

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1105 on: July 30, 2017, 10:21:28 pm »
I totally agree. Not only is genetically-engineered babies inevitable, but so are many other scientific ideas. These things scare me so much, when I think of what the human race can achieve. It does more harm than good.

I really want you guys, if you haven't seen it already, to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvnQ2QB4yc

I remember watching this a long time ago. What he says is pretty motivational and powerful. There are so many good quotes in there.
It sums up our generation: people obsessed with money, technology, looks and popularity. It's sad how negative our world has become, in both the environment and behaviour of individuals. Negativity overpowers positivity, but I really hope that humanity will get its act together.

It's easy to talk about trying to change things, but it is difficult to do it. Motivational speeches and videos will only go so far.
I think that people learn from mistakes and devastating experiences, but also from the support and compassion of others.

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1106 on: July 30, 2017, 10:27:00 pm »

I must say, it really did strike a chord in me. Race is still a problem, religion too. I think what lies in the centre of all this chaos and violence is acceptance. Acceptance is one of the fundamentals if we are all to live in harmony. If we all learned to accept each others diversity I think the world would be so much better. However, this is obviously easier said than done. I think this generation is getting somewhat better. At least in my experience. Racism still occurs commonly, I get some at school but I think most of our children know how descriminating someone just because they are different to you is wrong. Of course you'll have those kids which just don't care because well, their kids, but I think parents are also pushing their kids to be a lot better mannered and respectful.
2019 -Biology

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1107 on: July 30, 2017, 10:37:37 pm »
I must say, it really did strike a chord in me. Race is still a problem, religion too. I think what lies in the centre of all this chaos and violence is acceptance. Acceptance is one of the fundamentals if we are all to live in harmony. If we all learned to accept each others diversity I think the world would be so much better. However, this is obviously easier said than done. I think this generation is getting somewhat better. At least in my experience. Racism still occurs commonly, I get some at school but I think most of our children know how descriminating someone just because they are different to you is wrong. Of course you'll have those kids which just don't care because well, their kids, but I think parents are also pushing their kids to be a lot better mannered and respectful.

I don't get the thing behind racism and wars against countries.
If you're Australian, it just means that you were born in the same country as other Australians and experience similar cultures.
Why is the place of birth and culture something to prejudice and be forced into sides for?

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1108 on: July 30, 2017, 10:54:32 pm »
I don't get the thing behind racism and wars against countries.
If you're Australian, it just means that you were born in the same country as other Australians and experience similar cultures.
Why is the place of birth and culture something to prejudice and be forced into sides for?
I think a lot of the reason behind racism and other forms of discrimination is fear. Because are scared because someone is different (or looks different) to them, so they try to bring the person down so that the person who is discriminating can feel more surperior to them.
2019 -Biology

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1109 on: July 30, 2017, 11:01:07 pm »
I think a lot of the reason behind racism and other forms of discrimination is fear. Because are scared because someone is different (or looks different) to them, so they try to bring the person down so that the person who is discriminating can feel more surperior to them.

Maybe it is fear, though it's so irrational. People constantly trying to one-up each other based on looks. 
Looks will only get so far. Once you know what they are really like, looks don't matter that much anymore.

Edit: Wow guys, we've come a long way XD
We started with talking about our anticipation and excitement for the JMSS test, and it became thoughtful discussions about science and life
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:03:50 pm by Shadestache »