Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 09:51:39 am

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 435508 times)  Share 

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #1215 on: July 31, 2017, 06:53:43 pm »
Like really nervous, my friend did hers today, she said the question were the classical why you wanna come to this school etc but I'm going be awkward and nervous Ill be "um and like"

Pretend as though someone asked you that question and answer it. Try to keep it short and concise to get your point across. Practice a bunch of those general interview questions. Try to have confidence in yourself and your answers. If you have a particular thing you're interested in (e.g. playing the violin), then try to elaborate on it and speak with passion. Have questions about the school at the end because it shows that you are very interested.

In my opinion, I find it easy to talk about things on the spot when it's:
• something I know a lot about
or
• something I have a lot of passion for

When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

Kaize

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1216 on: July 31, 2017, 07:10:45 pm »
I got no rewards or certificates, because my family's a bit special.....should I tell them the truth........because I didnt tell my current school anything about my family.
Never reject an idea, dream or goal simply because it will be hard work. Success rarely comes without it.

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1217 on: July 31, 2017, 07:12:34 pm »
I got no rewards or certificates, because my family's a bit special.....should I tell them the truth........because I didnt tell my current school anything about my family.

You could tell them the truth. But something bugs me about the interviews. What if the interviewers think that you're lying and that you're trying to tell a sob story to get in? I'm worried that it could come across like that, when in reality, it's just the truth.

Kaize

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1218 on: July 31, 2017, 07:16:26 pm »
You could tell them the truth. But something bugs me about the interviews. What if the interviewers think that you're lying and that you're trying to tell a sob story to get in? I'm worried that it could come across like that, when in reality, it's just the truth.

I know, my story is really sad.... but it is the truth........I dont know......I missed out on so much because of my family....
Never reject an idea, dream or goal simply because it will be hard work. Success rarely comes without it.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #1219 on: July 31, 2017, 07:19:22 pm »
Btw, mine is at 8:54 a.m (15/8/2017). What time is yours?

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #1220 on: July 31, 2017, 07:20:37 pm »

What do you mean Kaize? What about your family?

I'm really worried about that too. Ugh. I'm also scared that I'll come across really braggy and overconfident even though I know that you're supposed to 'sell yourself' but I'm really modest in person and hate talking about myself argh
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1221 on: July 31, 2017, 07:26:39 pm »
I know, my story is really sad.... but it is the truth........I dont know......I missed out on so much because of my family....

I believe that you're telling the truth. You seem like a keen learner and someone who enjoys science, but unfortunately stuck in a bad situation.

I'm trying to think from different angles.
• Try to sound as friendly and as confident as you can (for both the group and individual interview)
• Have a particular field of interest that you feel passionate in and know a lot about
• Have some questions for the interviewers at the end
• Try to talk about your situation, but make it sound as though you're persevering and trying your hardest to learn

What do you mean Kaize? What about your family?

I'm really worried about that too. Ugh. I'm also scared that I'll come across really braggy and overconfident even though I know that you're supposed to 'sell yourself' but I'm really modest in person and hate talking about myself argh

It's true though. It's good to acknowledge your strengths and accomplishments.
You could balance it out by talking about interviewer and the school.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:30:23 pm by Shadestache »

Kaize

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1222 on: July 31, 2017, 07:30:19 pm »
I believe that you're telling the truth. You seem like a keen learner and someone who enjoys science, but unfortunately stuck in a bad situation.

I'm trying to think from different angles.
• Try to sound as friendly and as confident as you can (for both the group and individual interview)
• Have a particular field of interest that you feel passionate in and know a lot about
• Have some questions for the interviewers at the end
• Try to talk about your situation, but make it sound as though you're persevering and trying your hardest to learn

Thank you. It's not about money or anything like that, but it's me not having time. But thank you for the ideas. I really appraciates it.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #1223 on: July 31, 2017, 07:33:32 pm »
I just realised that my interview is on the same day as my close friend's from my school. XD

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1224 on: July 31, 2017, 07:49:49 pm »
IM ROOTING FOR YOU GUYS FROM THE SHADOWS  ;D ;D U GUYS DESERVE IT!!

im still waiting 4 my results.. im anxious
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1225 on: July 31, 2017, 07:56:40 pm »

thanks !! I bet you did awesome and I hope you get some good news soon !
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1226 on: July 31, 2017, 08:02:35 pm »

Good luck with MHS.
Try not to think about it too much. If you get in, you get in - if you don't get in, then you don't (I know I sound a bit blunt, but just being realistic XD)
Find a new hobby in the meantime or something to distract you. Before you know it, you'll receive your results.

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
  • The key to success, is failure.
  • Respect: +139
« Reply #1227 on: July 31, 2017, 09:17:47 pm »
+1
Congratu-bloody-lations to anyone who got an interview! So proud of you guys, especially after seeing the enthusiasm and eagerness on the forums, notably this thread. After reading around 6 pages of nervous and excited posts, I feel so happy for everyone who got an interview, and to anyone who didn't, don't worry about it. One test won't decide your life unless YOU let it. Try your best at school and show JMSS, or whatever school that didn't accept you, why they made a mistake! :)

Good luck to everyone once again and I look forward to reading some more discussion about interviews. :D

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1228 on: July 31, 2017, 09:50:20 pm »
Congratu-bloody-lations to anyone who got an interview! So proud of you guys, especially after seeing the enthusiasm and eagerness on the forums, notably this thread. After reading around 6 pages of nervous and excited posts, I feel so happy for everyone who got an interview, and to anyone who didn't, don't worry about it. One test won't decide your life unless YOU let it. Try your best at school and show JMSS, or whatever school that didn't accept you, why they made a mistake! :)

Good luck to everyone once again and I look forward to reading some more discussion about interviews. :D

I've already started preparing for the interview questions. I wouldn't really call it preparing because I'm able to confidently answer these questions on the spot with enthusiasm. Man, I'm so excited for the interviews. I should probably be nervous, but nah I'm just so hyper XD

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #1229 on: July 31, 2017, 09:51:09 pm »
I've already started preparing for the interview questions. I wouldn't really call it preparing because I'm able to confidently answer these questions on the spot with enthusiasm. Man, I'm so excited for the interviews. I should probably be nervous, but nah I'm just so hyper XD

:'( :'( :'( wut how. I get to tongue-tied and my voice sounds so awkward and just blearghhhhh I'm fricking terrified man
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!