Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:34:46 pm

Author Topic: RESULTS DAY (Mega Thread)  (Read 30501 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: RESULTS DAY (Mega Thread)
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2016, 10:13:01 am »
Hey guys you know the units that count for you, are they selected by the amount of marks you got or what they would 'scale' to? I got 85 in a relatively new language subject, but got 73 in physics and physics ended up counting.

Tagging in! It's based on, after scaling, which subject will give you the best ATAR. Physics scales very very well in the mid range (which is where that mark sits), so that discrepancy makes sense. But they give you whatever will maximise your result, after scaling ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2016, 10:13:36 am »
English Advanced 92
Mathematics Extension I 97
Mathematics Extension II 93
Physics 95
Chemistry 92
Engineering Studies 90
Studies of Religion 98

Jacky! Studies of Religion 98! You are so incredible!!!!!!! I mean, all of your results are totally incredible but that especially!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2016, 10:15:44 am »
Hey guys you know the units that count for you, are they selected by the amount of marks you got or what they would 'scale' to? I got 85 in a relatively new language subject, but got 73 in physics and physics ended up counting.
To add onto Jamon's explanation I have a tiny anecdote.

My physics teacher invited an ex-student back to our physics class. He now studies engineering at UTS I think.
He got somewhere around 85 in Music 2 and it didn't count. Got like 75 in physics and it counted.

Hope everyone's pleased with their results :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2016, 10:18:43 am »
Jacky! Studies of Religion 98! You are so incredible!!!!!!! I mean, all of your results are totally incredible but that especially!

Virtually any other subject and that's a state rank, it's crazy!! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2016, 10:21:41 am »
Hey everyone,

To be honest I'm actually really disappointed in my marks. To others they may seem good, but I had incredibly high expectations and I didn't reach them. This does however, reflect how I did s**t-all all year except for right before trials and right before the hsc.

English advanced - 91  (disappointed)
Mathematics - 97 (considering i thought i screwed up badly, i'm quite happy with this mark)
Legal Studies - 95
Economics - 96
Business Studies - 95 (really disappointed in this one, I thought I would do tremendously better than this)

Well done to everyone else!!! Hope you guys got what you wanted :)

Hey Isaac...

When I got my marks I was pretty happy, and that's mainly because I was completely euphoric about a few grades and kind of just ignored the not so good ones. When I got my ATAR I went into a little ditch in the world I didn't know existed. I realise now it's completely dramatic and crazy because I did so well, but in that moment so much built up and then it was turned into a 4 digit number and it was very underwhelming but also overwhelming. I cried for two hours and honestly thought "I can never face day again." My dad knocked on my door three times trying to help but for those hours I was completely inconsolable. The worst part is that I felt like I couldn't tell anyone because everyone would be stoked to have my marks. I understand disappointment, it's just about finding the successes now and celebrating them. I was definitely rooting for you to absolutely smash English Advanced, you showed enormous improvement and determination and you deserve the most wonderful of marks. 91 is absolutely no small achievement, I hope that with time you can feel the pride I have for you in yourself... Just know that whatever you feel right now is completely legitimate, even if you think it's potentially invalidated by people feeling a lot worse than you about grades that are a lot lower than yours. What you feel is real, and I'm happy to assure you that you should and will feel immensely proud, even if not right now :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2016, 10:26:33 am »
Just running my eye(s) over this thread, and far out: does ATAR Notes have the brightest and most dedicated community of HSC students in Australia? It certainly seems like it!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mfaith99

• Fresh Poster
  • My name is Marissa, I just enjoy writing
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2016, 10:27:16 am »
Not too happy with my results, at all, I got pretty average bands, therefore resulting in somewhat of an unsatisfactory ATAR. In fact, with the ATAR I've received and the fact that UTS doesn't offer bonus points for the Communications faculty, doesn't look like I'll be getting into my dream uni.  :(

However, I just wanted to say a big congrats to everyone, no matter how happy or satisfied you are with your results, we survived a gruelling year!

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2016, 10:29:27 am »
Just running my eye(s) over this thread, and far out: does ATAR Notes have the brightest and most dedicated community of HSC students in Australia? It certainly seems like it!

YES.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2016, 10:31:24 am »
Not too happy with my results, at all, I got pretty average bands, therefore resulting in somewhat of an unsatisfactory ATAR. In fact, with the ATAR I've received and the fact that UTS doesn't offer bonus points for the Communications faculty, doesn't look like I'll be getting into my dream uni.  :(

However, I just wanted to say a big congrats to everyone, no matter how happy or satisfied you are with your results, we survived a gruelling year!

Don't be discouraged mfaith99! You may get in yet, and even if not, you can get there by pathways or even by transferring from another course or institution! You can always get where you need to go, as long as you are passionate :) congratulations on finishing a super stressful year!

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2016, 10:32:26 am »
I ended up with a 92.70, which is pretty much what I was expecting from yesterday. I'm a bit disappointed, my goal was really a 94, but I think there's still a few ways to go from here. I had a pretty rough period with my mental health in the middle of the year and I really want to just thank atarnotes (and all the wonderful users and moderators and admins) for helping me get back on my feet through both the community and academic help. This site definitely helped my marks but it also was a massive help in getting through the year at all and being able to pick myself up for the actual HSC exams. :)
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2016, 10:34:13 am »

Hey mfaith...I study Comms at the moment at UTS. The entry ATAR has been lowering each year. If you think that you might be just skimming it, then I think you should apply for Communications in a major that has a lower entry (I think creative writing has the lowest?) and then you can pick up whichever the major you wanted to be your stream elective, and then either pick it up as a double major or transfer into that as your single major later down the track.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2016, 10:36:26 am »
I ended up with a 92.70, which is pretty much what I was expecting from yesterday. I'm a bit disappointed, my goal was really a 94, but I think there's still a few ways to go from here. I had a pretty rough period with my mental health in the middle of the year and I really want to just thank atarnotes (and all the wonderful users and moderators and admins) for helping me get back on my feet through both the community and academic help. This site definitely helped my marks but it also was a massive help in getting through the year at all and being able to pick myself up for the actual HSC exams. :)

Great job Beth! It's okay, there is nothing wrong with being a little disappointed. Stand tall, be proud, and take your avenues. Passionate people will always get where they need to go  8)

I am touched that you want to acknowledge us, so happy we could play even the smallest of roles :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2016, 10:36:55 am »

I know the disappointment, particularly when there is a number in mind that you'd like to reach. But you've definitely taken a health approach here by recognising that you struggled, and you overcame that, and that is incredibly important. That is definitely worth a celebration! Thank you for being a part of our community, you've brought such value to our little online world and you deserve to feel the pride that you will eventually feel when you recognise how huge it is to overcome mental health issues in a very, very pressing time. Pressure makes diamonds! It'll take time, but I think you're taking a wonderfully healthy approach and I can't wait to see where you go from here :)

PS. You know it, so I don't have to say it, but that ATAR is incredible! :)

mfaith99

• Fresh Poster
  • My name is Marissa, I just enjoy writing
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2016, 10:37:39 am »
Hey mfaith...I study Comms at the moment at UTS. The entry ATAR has been lowering each year. If you think that you might be just skimming it, then I think you should apply for Communications in a major that has a lower entry (I think creative writing has the lowest?) and then you can pick up whichever the major you wanted to be your stream elective, and then either pick it up as a double major or transfer into that as your single major later down the track.

Hey! Thanks for the advice, I have looked into this, with an ATAR (perhaps 2 or 3 points) lower than that entry ATAR still be accepted? I do know it depends on popularity of the course etc. But as I said i'm not sure whether I'll gain entry to the course.

I'm going to the Open Day tomorrow, so that may be able to clear things up, just clouded by disappointment atm.
Thanks again! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2016, 10:41:37 am »
Hey! Thanks for the advice, I have looked into this, with an ATAR (perhaps 2 or 3 points) lower than that entry ATAR still be accepted? I do know it depends on popularity of the course etc. But as I said i'm not sure whether I'll gain entry to the course.

I'm going to the Open Day tomorrow, so that may be able to clear things up, just clouded by disappointment atm.
Thanks again! :)

The open day will be very helpful. Last year they gave you the opportunity to book places to speak to someone one on one? If they do that again, I suggest you do that. For example, if you want to study Journalism as your major, you could enter Communications (Creative Writing), and then when you're actually at Uni you can do Journalism subjects just like someone who majors in Journalism. Then if you want it in your degree title later, you can transfer. For now, you want to focus on getting in the door. 2 or 3 ATAR points below entry may not hurt you at all, especially because the requirement for the double bachelor I entered dropped by about 10 points in two years. It's unpredictable, so get the opinion of UTS staff. :)