Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:28:51 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1038809 times)  Share 

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: HSC Physics Question Thread
« Reply #3795 on: September 03, 2019, 05:41:31 pm »
Hi blyatman and Coolmate!

Thank you so much for your help.

I completely agree with your logic, however I have just checked the 'official' answer and they suggest that it is C - mass.

I understand that in accordance with the second postulate, length, time and mass are all subject to relativistic effects - however do you have any idea as to why the answer could possibly be mass instead of length?

Nope, I also agree with it being B. Official answers are wrong. Even schools teach it as that Length is what was redefined initially, as said by Blyatman.

What paper is this question taken from?

blyatman

• Trailblazer
  • Blyat
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3796 on: September 03, 2019, 07:49:03 pm »
Hi blyatman and Coolmate!

Thank you so much for your help.

I completely agree with your logic, however I have just checked the 'official' answer and they suggest that it is C - mass.

I understand that in accordance with the second postulate, length, time and mass are all subject to relativistic effects - however do you have any idea as to why the answer could possibly be mass instead of length?
No it's definitely not mass, the answers are wrong.

Mass dilation isn't even a thing, despite what the HSC says (but that's a topic for another day).
Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
Research background: General Relativity (Gravitational Astrophysics Research Group, Sydney Institute for Astronomy, USYD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University) (Major: Aerodynamics. Minor: Propulsion)
M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3797 on: September 03, 2019, 07:54:21 pm »
Mass dilation isn't even a thing, despite what the HSC says (but that's a topic for another day).
Wait what??? Doesn't mass dilate as your speed becomes higher due to E = mc^2 + (pc)^2 ?

blyatman

• Trailblazer
  • Blyat
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3798 on: September 03, 2019, 08:20:33 pm »
Wait what??? Doesn't mass dilate as your speed becomes higher due to E = mc^2 + (pc)^2 ?
Nah, your energy goes to infinity, but that should not be interpreted as your mass going to infinity. The HSC teaches \(E=mc^2\) where \(m=\gamma m_0\) is the dilated mass (and \(\gamma\) being the Lorentz factor), but rather it should be \(E = \gamma m_0 c^2\). In other words, rather than thinking of mass being scaled by \(\gamma\), it's more correct to think of the energy as being scaled by \(\gamma\). Likewise, momentum should be treated as \(p=\gamma m_0v\) rather than using \(p=mv\) with \(m\) being the dilated mass.

University courses in relativity often accentuate this difference to rectify what students learnt in the HSC. Recently, the physics teachers at Matrix had a long debate whether they should be teaching relativistic mass since they knew it was wrong, but ultimately decided to do so since it's what's examined in the HSC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity
"The term relativistic mass tends not to be used in particle and nuclear physics and is often avoided by writers on special relativity, in favor of using the body's total energy." There's a section named "Controversy" at the bottom which goes into a bit more detail.

I was also like wtf when I first learnt this at uni. But even this doesn't take the cake as the most "wrong" thing I've learnt in HS physics.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:33:23 pm by blyatman »
Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
Research background: General Relativity (Gravitational Astrophysics Research Group, Sydney Institute for Astronomy, USYD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University) (Major: Aerodynamics. Minor: Propulsion)
M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3799 on: September 03, 2019, 08:59:17 pm »
Nah, your energy goes to infinity, but that should not be interpreted as your mass going to infinity. The HSC teaches \(E=mc^2\) where \(m=\gamma m_0\) is the dilated mass (and \(\gamma\) being the Lorentz factor), but rather it should be \(E = \gamma m_0 c^2\). In other words, rather than thinking of mass being scaled by \(\gamma\), it's more correct to think of the energy as being scaled by \(\gamma\). Likewise, momentum should be treated as \(p=\gamma m_0v\) rather than using \(p=mv\) with \(m\) being the dilated mass.

University courses in relativity often accentuate this difference to rectify what students learnt in the HSC. Recently, the physics teachers at Matrix had a long debate whether they should be teaching relativistic mass since they knew it was wrong, but ultimately decided to do so since it's what's examined in the HSC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity
"The term relativistic mass tends not to be used in particle and nuclear physics and is often avoided by writers on special relativity, in favor of using the body's total energy." There's a section named "Controversy" at the bottom which goes into a bit more detail.

I was also like wtf when I first learnt this at uni. But even this doesn't take the cake as the most "wrong" thing I've learnt in HS physics.

OH YES that controversy section actually makes so much sense!

So this means essentially the formula m = gamma m_0 is actually not correct, but rather the correct definition is through the formula for momentum.

That is interesting, I'm definitely going to read up on this

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #3800 on: September 04, 2019, 11:41:18 am »
Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble resolving forces on banked tracks. Basically, I can't seem to reconcile what I've learnt in Maths Ext 2 and Physics.

In Physics, we learn to resolve the forces parallel and perpendicular to the inclined plane. The plane is inclined at an angle θ to the horizontal. You wind up with:

Normal force (perpendicular to plane) = mgcosθ
Force parallel to plane = mgsinθ

However, in Maths, we consider the vertical and horizontal components of N (normal force) which is perpendicular to the banked track.

Neglecting friction,

Ncosθ = mg
Nsinθ = mv2/r

Yet, this essentially implies that N = mg/cosθ

But in Physics we've been taught that N = mgcosθ

Which one is correct? How do we reconcile these two equations?

Any help is very much appreciated!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:58:59 am by louisaaa01 »
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #3801 on: September 04, 2019, 12:28:57 pm »
Sorry I may be wrong, but shouldn't it be:

E2= (mc2)2 + (pc)2

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3802 on: September 04, 2019, 12:52:43 pm »
+2
Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble resolving forces on banked tracks. Basically, I can't seem to reconcile what I've learnt in Maths Ext 2 and Physics.

In Physics, we learn to resolve the forces parallel and perpendicular to the inclined plane. The plane is inclined at an angle θ to the horizontal. You wind up with:

Normal force (perpendicular to plane) = mgcosθ
Force parallel to plane = mgsinθ

However, in Maths, we consider the vertical and horizontal components of N (normal force) which is perpendicular to the banked track.

Neglecting friction,

Ncosθ = mg
Nsinθ = mv2/r

Yet, this essentially implies that N = mg/cosθ

But in Physics we've been taught that N = mgcosθ

Which one is correct? How do we reconcile these two equations?

Any help is very much appreciated!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can't resolve these two equations, because they both describe different cases of motion on a slope. In your 'Physics' example, the motion that is experienced is down the slope (as a result of the parallel force), while in your 'Extension 2' example, the motion that is experienced is circular motion (as a result of the net force). If we were considering Circular motion in Physics on a banked track (disregarding friction), the only force acting on the object would be the horizontal net force acting towards the centre of motion ie. exact same as X2. Similarly, if we were considering an object moving up or down the slope (disregarding friction) the only component we 'see' is the parallel force up and down the slope ie. the net force, ie. same as Physics.

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

louisaaa01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3803 on: September 04, 2019, 03:30:26 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can't resolve these two equations, because they both describe different cases of motion on a slope. In your 'Physics' example, the motion that is experienced is down the slope (as a result of the parallel force), while in your 'Extension 2' example, the motion that is experienced is circular motion (as a result of the net force). If we were considering Circular motion in Physics on a banked track (disregarding friction), the only force acting on the object would be the horizontal net force acting towards the centre of motion ie. exact same as X2. Similarly, if we were considering an object moving up or down the slope (disregarding friction) the only component we 'see' is the parallel force up and down the slope ie. the net force, ie. same as Physics.

This is really helpful, thank you so much :) Was just misled because the official answer to a Banked Track trial question used these inclined plane equations! Anyway, really appreciate your assistance.

2020 - 2026

classof2019

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3804 on: September 14, 2019, 12:33:46 pm »
Can the NESA Sample Answers in the Marking Guidelines for each past HSC paper be relied upon as an indicator of what would have achieved full marks? Because I've heard that apparently not all answers included in the sample answers would have achieved full marks in a given question.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3805 on: September 14, 2019, 06:15:31 pm »
Can the NESA Sample Answers in the Marking Guidelines for each past HSC paper be relied upon as an indicator of what would have achieved full marks? Because I've heard that apparently not all answers included in the sample answers would have achieved full marks in a given question.

Usually the marking guidelines give the best possible answer, but you are right. Sometimes it cannot be relied upon.

classof2019

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3806 on: September 27, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »
Can someone please help with this?

A power plant generates 150 MW of electricity for a town 20 km away. The transmission wires have a resistance of 0.01 W per km. The voltage drop between the plant and the town is 50 V.

(a) Calculate the power loss between the plant and the town.
(b) Calculate the voltage transmitted by the plant.

Cheers.

louisaaa01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3807 on: September 27, 2019, 05:19:41 pm »
Hey! Just a question, when calculating the amount of magnetic flux through a coil, do you need to multiply by the number of turns in the coil?

2020 - 2026

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3808 on: September 27, 2019, 05:44:26 pm »
+2
Can someone please help with this?

A power plant generates 150 MW of electricity for a town 20 km away. The transmission wires have a resistance of 0.01 W per km. The voltage drop between the plant and the town is 50 V.

(a) Calculate the power loss between the plant and the town.
(b) Calculate the voltage transmitted by the plant.

Cheers.

Hey there!

For part a), consider the fact that P=VI, and that losses are lost through resistive heating ie. P=I2R. This leads us to deduce that the power of the town is going to be (V-50)I, while the power at the plant will be VI. We are given R as equal to 0.01 ohms/km x 20km ie. R = 0.2.

Then, we can solve for I in the equation (V-50)I=VI-I2R. :)

For b), to find the voltage transmitted by the plant to the town is simply going to be subbing in your new value for I back into the equation in a) and solving for V. Note that the voltage that actually gets transmitted is going to be V-50, since some power is lost.

Hey! Just a question, when calculating the amount of magnetic flux through a coil, do you need to multiply by the number of turns in the coil?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you do! :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:48:50 pm by fun_jirachi »
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

classof2019

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3809 on: September 27, 2019, 05:51:43 pm »
Hey there!

For part a), consider the fact that P=VI, and that losses are lost through resistive heating ie. P=I2R. This leads us to deduce that the power of the town is going to be (V-50)I, while the power at the plant will be VI. We are given R as equal to 0.01 ohms/km x 20km ie. R = 0.2.

Then, we can solve for I in the equation (V-50)I=VI-I2R. :)

For b), to find the voltage transmitted by the plant to the town is simply going to be subbing in your new value for I back into the equation in a) and solving for V. Note that the voltage that actually gets transmitted is going to be V-50, since some power is lost.

Hey, thanks for looking into it - though, follow up q, does this rely on the assumption that current is constant? And if so, how can we assume that current doesn't decrease?