Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:47:25 pm

Author Topic: Watches and Countdown Timers in Exams  (Read 4757 times)

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Watches and Countdown Timers in Exams
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:11:38 am »
Hi,

I was curious if we are allowed to take digital countdown timers into our exams (inclusive of HSC)? I find it considerably easier to use then having to determine how much time I have left by considering the current time, and the time we will finish, and then taking into account if my watch matches up with the official clock they're using.

Thanks

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Watches and Countdown Timers in Exams
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:13:46 am »
+1
My school has a countdown timer on the screen for exams to tell us how much time we have left. I think it's definitely something you'll have to ask your school about/if you want to bring for trials. However, I'm not sure if you can bring anything in to the room for the HSC (besides pencil cases).
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 02:31:48 pm »
+1
Hey! You definitely won't be able to bring your own timer into a HSC exam. They'll have a clock/countdown on display, and the time you have will be determined based on that visible clock only ;D

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:16:23 pm »
+1
Hello, my school has a gigantic big red digital clock that can be set to countdown but unfortunately we only use the clock time for timekeeping. My school also hires people from the Board to supervise our exams occasionally so I'm pretty definite that you are not allowed a countdown timer and ONLY allowed a clock displaying the time. This is to ensure the process is as fair as possible across the state.
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:31 pm »
+2
My school has a countdown timer on the screen for exams to tell us how much time we have left. I think it's definitely something you'll have to ask your school about/if you want to bring for trials. However, I'm not sure if you can bring anything in to the room for the HSC (besides pencil cases).
By pencil cases I assume you mean clear unlabelled plastic sleeves / zip lock bags ;D. You can also bring water, tissues and chewing gum (it actually helps you think, just don't chew like a cow and you'll be fine ;) )

You can bring in a wristwatch as long as you place it on the top right hand corner of the writing desk can you not? Smart watches or programmable watches are obviously not allowed but here's an idea (don't blame me if it doesn't work haven't tried it just thought of it now!)

Set your watch to be at 12 o'clock when the exam begins. Say its a three hour exam and its currently 2:20pm you can easily see 2hrs 20min has elapsed. Just take into account reading time and what not.

Does this make sense? Is it a better alternative? Let me know if you use it and if it works!

Also, there are external BOSTES people as the supervisors, not your teachers just letting you know :)

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 12:59:02 pm »
Ok, thanks everyone for helping! I like the idea of setting your watch to 12 o'clock,  I might try it.