Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 04:14:33 pm

Author Topic: Business Essay  (Read 2165 times)  Share 

Deng

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Business Essay
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:31:00 pm »
Hey, was wondering if up to date information for the essay was important e.g using 2015 stats etc rather than say 2010

Thanks
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
Re: Business Essay
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 05:10:30 pm »
Hey, was wondering if up to date information for the essay was important e.g using 2015 stats etc rather than say 2010

Thanks

Hi Deng!

It depends on the statistic - some statistics are only released every few years.

It's more important to include trends than just a recent stat e.g. QANTAS' profitability increased by 28% between 2010-2015.

Unlike in economics where recent trends are everything, in business section IV as long as you can use the statistic to support a point (and it's not something pre-GFC preferably) you should be fine :)
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:38:20 pm »
Thanks,

I just saw your subject selection and i practically do the same subjects as you and i just want to ask how do you memorise stuff? I know my content just say for legal, eco, business and english there is so much memorisation and its pretty overwhelming
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:49:04 pm »
Thanks,

I just saw your subject selection and i practically do the same subjects as you and i just want to ask how do you memorise stuff? I know my content just say for legal, eco, business and english there is so much memorisation and its pretty overwhelming

Great minds think alike!

Really similar to things Jamon and the other mods have said in the past, for content heavy hsie subjects like ours its all about writing out content and rewriting it out. I find that its much easier to revise stuff you've already learned in the past e.g. for my legal trial and the family question, since i'd already done an assessment I found memorising case law and legislation much easier since i'd done it before. I guess what i'm saying is putting in the work during the year goes a long way! But then before exams (and i feel your pain, having legal and business CSSA back to back) it's really important to continually write out and revise the stuff you struggle to learn. For me, in business, I could not for the life of me understand LIFO and FIFO so before my exam today I looked up every source I could and just rope-learned them, covered them up and wrote them out again.

The best way (and i'm sure you've heard this) to proceed after that is trial papers - I found this really helpful :) https://thsconline.github.io/s/yr12/

In just pumping out the multiple choice and a few short answers you'll easily pick up where you struggle the most - the amount of tariff/quota questions in economics multiple choice is killer!

Overall, as long as you consistently put in during the year you'll be surprised how much you remember come exam time once you begin revising - focus on learning the new stuff and don't underestimate your memory!

Hope this helps  ;D
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:12:33 am »
do we have to use real statistics in a business essay or can we make it up?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 06:35:18 pm »
do we have to use real statistics in a business essay or can we make it up?

You definitely need to use real statistics, never use made up stuff in an essay! If one switched-on marker wants to check your figures and finds that it is made up, you'll immediately lose a lot of credibility :)

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:24:09 pm »
that explains where I lost my marks in the trials  , thankyou !