Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:33:08 pm

Author Topic: Studying for trials  (Read 6168 times)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
Re: Studying for trials
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »
What content heavy subjects are you finding difficult in terms of revision/exam preparation?

Humanities- Economics/Business/SOR II

tloos1999

• Trailblazer
  • Kid from the West with an Academic Dream
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 07:09:51 pm »
+1
Humanities- Economics/Business/SOR II
I cannot comment on Eco/Business although SOR II I can offer advice, from my side. Whilst SOR II is a content intensive subject, and many topics are covered, the way I tend to do this, is to maintain a mix. When I say mix I mean not five hours of pointless notes, doing this will result in boredom, lack of retention and in most cases lead to distractions. What I tend to do is make a key set of notes that summarises the most INTEGRAL/IMPORTANT content from each topic and to keep this on hand. Try to style the notes to your learning methods, the methods that best work for you. Whether that be mind maps, summaries, dot point, it is all down to the individual. For SOR II, I tend to learn the content In a summarised way, and answer questions in reference to these topics. By doing this I can see the areas that I am strong at, and I can filter the topics that I am having problems with and pinpoint these in the lead up to trials. I also discuss my content with an exterior source, such as family/friends, and I have found by engaging in friendly discussion about my topics, the retention is much stronger. Another option is to use a Pomodoro Timer? You can set the increments for study/break and I have found these are ideal for someone like myself who studies intermittently. No use to study for 3 hours straight if you cannot retain information, better to break it up into blocks that seem more achievable. Good luck with your study and hope you find a method best for your learning style.
Thomas Loos

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 09:20:01 am »
+2
I cannot comment on Eco/Business although SOR II I can offer advice, from my side. Whilst SOR II is a content intensive subject, and many topics are covered, the way I tend to do this, is to maintain a mix. When I say mix I mean not five hours of pointless notes, doing this will result in boredom, lack of retention and in most cases lead to distractions. What I tend to do is make a key set of notes that summarises the most INTEGRAL/IMPORTANT content from each topic and to keep this on hand. Try to style the notes to your learning methods, the methods that best work for you. Whether that be mind maps, summaries, dot point, it is all down to the individual. For SOR II, I tend to learn the content In a summarised way, and answer questions in reference to these topics. By doing this I can see the areas that I am strong at, and I can filter the topics that I am having problems with and pinpoint these in the lead up to trials. I also discuss my content with an exterior source, such as family/friends, and I have found by engaging in friendly discussion about my topics, the retention is much stronger. Another option is to use a Pomodoro Timer? You can set the increments for study/break and I have found these are ideal for someone like myself who studies intermittently. No use to study for 3 hours straight if you cannot retain information, better to break it up into blocks that seem more achievable. Good luck with your study and hope you find a method best for your learning style.

Awesome advice that I certainly agree with! I cannot speak for the Business/Eco but can certainly for SOR II. QUOTES QUOTES QUOTES. Quotes will be your best friend in the trials - know a couple of real bangers and you are already half way there. My second point of advice: SOR II is a intensive, content-heavy subject I won't lie. Try and meet up with someone (note 1 or 2) and become an expert in a depth study (eg Islam) or a specific section (eg Ethics) and then try and explain it to someone else, preferably without notes. This is an awesome way to find out what you know and don't know.

What I used to do if I couldn't get anyone to meet up? 10 minute timer. Sheet of blank paper. I wrote down as much as I could remember of the top of my head on a particular topic (eg Christian Baptism).

One last piece of advice? Get yourself a good pen for the trials and HSC - you'll be writing 4-6 pages for two essays just with SOR II, not to mention all your other subjects. Make sure it works as well - don't wait until you are in there to try it for the first time. Some people also like to use a pen grip as my teacher said and I quote "to help lower the pain as you write 12 pages of essay" - I didn't but I'm left handed and pen grips never work for me.

So that one above wasn't my final piece of advice - here is a few quick tips.
> Stick notes/quotes all around your room or if your family lets you, your house. On the shelf next to that favourite food. In the shower even (put it in a plastic sleeve first though!) - you'll be studying without even realising! How awesome is that!
> Simplify the syllabus.
> Summarise your summaries.
> This one is a bit controversial, but it has been proven to work. Make obvious mistakes in your summaries (mostly typos or capitalisation errors) I'll give you an example.
 - Sam eats a icecream by the poool on a paticularly hot day.
 - Max eats his sandwiches at recess.

Best of luck!!

• Trendsetter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 09:47:23 am »
Thanks a lot for these replies :) I will definitely put these practices into action. Also, when preparing for your essays did you look at past papers to get a sense of what is likely to be asked? For example, an integrated essay hasn't been asked since 2013 and the significant person since 2012 so would you have greater preparation for essays on those two?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:51:11 am by 12070 »

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 09:55:27 am »
I cannot comment on Eco/Business although SOR II I can offer advice, from my side.

Awesome advice that I certainly agree with! I cannot speak for the Business/Eco but can certainly for SOR II.

Thanks a lot for these replies :) I will definitely put these practices into action. Also, when preparing for your essays did you look at past papers to get a sense of what is likely to be asked? For example, an integrated essay hasn't been asked since 2013 and the significant person since 2012 so would you have greater preparation for essays on those two?

No worries happy to help :)
Definitely look at past papers. They are awesome.
I would also highly recommend looking at an integrated essay. Do all three equally as they will like to trick you into thinking they will ask something because they have not done so in a while. Integrated essays are harder but I have multiple copies if you want one (as above).

Hope this helps, let me know any more questions you have!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:11:01 pm by Aaron »

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 10:22:53 am »
I have my trials next week, so my holiday has been spent revising all content from term 4.

Everything I was going to say has already been said, but I think the importance of time management is essential to doing well. Focus your attention on the weaker subjects, but at the same time, don't neglect your strengths.

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 02:07:49 am »
So lucky! Mine starts not the first day of school ... :/
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 09:20:31 am »
+1
So lucky! Mine starts not the first day of school ... :/

Ahhh, so did I :(
I reckon it is better this way as you have more time studying for the HSC and less time worrying about the trials - plus it actually forces you to do more in the holidays which is never a bad thing ;D

• Trendsetter
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
No worries happy to help :)
Definitely look at past papers. They are awesome.

Hope this helps, let me know any more questions you have!

Thanks for this :D I have the 2016 CSSA paper so any before that would be great. Any resources you have are great even if you were doing different religions. Also for the peace essay, I was wondering if world peace is easily adapted to inner peace. I talk about the importance of inner peace before dispersing peace to the community in my world peace essay, however, could you say that bringing peace to others can be a means of bringing inner peace?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:10:39 pm by Aaron »

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 04:22:05 pm »
Thanks for this :D I have the 2016 CSSA paper so any before that would be great. Any resources you have are great even if you were doing different religions. Also for the peace essay, I was wondering if world peace is easily adapted to inner peace. I talk about the importance of inner peace before dispersing peace to the community in my world peace essay, however, could you say that bringing peace to others can be a means of bringing inner peace?

No worries :) what religions did you do out of curiosity?

And no, world peace and inner peace are quite different to each other although there is one loophole you can use - in order to find peace in the world, one must first find peace in themselves. Great way to relate - was this used as a question quote one year??

Yeah it kind of works the other way as well but in order to love others you have to first love yourself. Same with peace.

Hope this helps!

Moderator edit: Removed parts where you are willing to distribute copyright materials
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:29:17 pm by Aaron »

gillv2017

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 05:35:10 pm »
+1
I do mindmaps (1 A4 Page per syllabus heading) and they are fantastic to learn from... Also super dorky, but laminate your syllabuses and put them in the shower, behind the toilet, on the wall in your room - its makes a huge difference in familiarising yourself.. Good luck!!

michelleh

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 06:33:43 pm »
Hi!

Contrary to everyone doing the trials, my school pushed my trials early so I've already went through the trials! Now, whilst everyone is doing the trials, I'm wondering if and when should I be studying for my HSC? After the trials, I used up my 2 weeks of holiday to indulge in relaxation but now thaf I'm into the third week of school, I can't seem to get back into work! D: it's like I've rested too much and now my body is refusing to go back to studying! Help!  What should I do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 08:00:36 pm »
Hi!

Contrary to everyone doing the trials, my school pushed my trials early so I've already went through the trials! Now, whilst everyone is doing the trials, I'm wondering if and when should I be studying for my HSC? After the trials, I used up my 2 weeks of holiday to indulge in relaxation but now thaf I'm into the third week of school, I can't seem to get back into work! D: it's like I've rested too much and now my body is refusing to go back to studying! Help!  What should I do?

Hey! I bet you're loving not having to do anything while everyone else is busy ;) don't worry, I didn't get back into proper study for my HSC until the start of September. If you are still feeling like time off, take it! Maybe start easing yourself back in, do an hour a day from the middle of August and build up slowly from there? :)