Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:27:29 pm

Author Topic: Type or write notes?  (Read 11711 times)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Type or write notes?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 09:10:49 pm »
+1
i type most of my notes, because first, effort, and second, it's a lot quicker. even then, that depends on the subject. pretty much all my subjects are humanities so i prefer typing those out, but something like maths i just have a ton of sticky notes with concepts i don't understand as much when i come across them in past papers. for english, i like to have palm cards. at the end of the day it depends on your own personal preference but typing is a lot easier for me as i can write extra notes around the stuff i've printed. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

seventeenboi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 09:14:29 am »
+3
HELLOO
(my subjects are phys chem maths + advanced)
For physics and chemistry, on the day we learn content in class, I go home and spend about an hour each to make notes for the 2/3 mini-dotpoints that we have gone through, this is ESPECIALLY useful approaching exams .. often many of my friends are rushing and making notes a few weeks before, leaving them little time to actually do past papers :(
I find typing notes as the most efficient way to make notes - i like having extensive notes (my physics for first 3 modules are 30,000 in total rip) because it just gives me the security of having covered every possible nook and cranny (even tho i like dont remember a lot of it lol)
I also remake mini-notes on google doc when doing past papers - i have a list of silly mistakes that I frequently make, as well as reminders of things and things exam questions often trip up students on e.g. ( - question is asking for volume of water ADDED'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not just the full volume after dilution!!!!!). I also re-type up content that I am not that familiar with in a summarised version in these notes as well as scaffold answers to extended response questions, combining solutions from many sources to familiarise myself with what teachers/nesa/bostes require for full marks :)

if you are approaching your exams and have not completed your notes, i suggest that you make notes WHILST doing past papers - a common mistake amongst students that I see and have heard teachers talking about, is that they are often paranoid with completing notes first to ensure they've covered EVERY dotpoint prior to actually applying all that knowledge. often when you make notes - yes you do retain some info, but the real deal in science exams is knowing how to actually answer the question and presenting every detail required.. you need practice for that!

For maths, I handwrite my notes as I go, so approaching yearly. for each topic, i write a summary of definitions, write steps on how to approach specific types of questions, followed up with difficult questions that had interesting tricks or were ones that I couldn't do just to remind me through the year :)

and english is just a lost cause lol

that being said, it really really really depends on who you are!
the dux at our school doesn't really make syllabus notes for their subjects and does amazingly at every exam HAHA they just do lots and lots of practice, but they also make sure that they completely understand something before moving on. a lot of students like me usually go 'oh i'll look at it at home later and try to understand it then'.

hope this helped! :)

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 08:15:15 pm »
+1
When it comes to content-heavy subjects like Legal Studies, Business Studies + Biology, I type all my notes just because it's quicker + easier than writing it out. I also added onto my notes throughout the year when I stumbled upon new textbooks or handouts in class, so it's definitely easier to just slot it into your typing than squeezing it into already written paragraphs.

I also think writing notes is beneficial too! IMO it's definitely easier to retain the information since you'll be writing it out and all
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Ahmad_A_1999

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 08:44:43 pm »

and english is just a lost cause lol

That is so relatable :D
2017:
Chem [41] Bio [44] Spesh / Methods / EngLang 
ATAR: 95.65
2018-2020: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

freya99

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 08:15:47 pm »
+1
Hi, as Bimberfairy said it really does depend on what kind of subjects you do. Most of my subjects are content-heavy humanities subjects which require a lot of effort to hand write notes and therefore I usually start out by typing up notes. Depending on how well I've organised my time, if I can I'll then hand write summaries, mind maps and palm cards for some subjects. For subjects like English, I find that it really helps to hand write out quotes multiple times as that can really help to ingrain them into your mind. Good luck!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 10:59:55 pm »
+1
Hi, as Bimberfairy said it really does depend on what kind of subjects you do. Most of my subjects are content-heavy humanities subjects which require a lot of effort to hand write notes and therefore I usually start out by typing up notes. Depending on how well I've organised my time, if I can I'll then hand write summaries, mind maps and palm cards for some subjects. For subjects like English, I find that it really helps to hand write out quotes multiple times as that can really help to ingrain them into your mind. Good luck!

Welcome to the forums!! Keen to see you get involved in more discussions - Sounds like you are doing exactly as I did in my HSC ;D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:36 am »
I know I have already given my opinion on this matter but just remember you have to write in the trials and HSC! You have to write a lot and fast (at least for the Humanities including SOR and English) so train up your hand now, tie a battery to your pen while you have time to write so you can fly through the paper with ease on the day :)

Also, welcome to the forums freya99!! Good to see some new names around here :)

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
  • There shall be no boundaries to human endeavour-SH
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 01:10:49 am »
Handwriting makes me feel like I made effort  ;D

Le Burrito

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 09:47:57 pm »
+1
I type majority of my notes because its nice and neat and its really quick. It's also really easy to find diagrams and access.
Usually handwriting helps you retain information more easily so what I did was print out my notes (typed) and then go through them and highlight the important parts and any headings. This way I'm still actively contributing to my notes whilst reviewing them.

But since I feel bad for not handwriting (because the exams are written), I write all of my stuff in class and any practice papers, essays, etc so I can practice my handwriting.

Typing just has too many benefits over handwriting, in my opinion, to not type.
~ budding graphic designer
~ easily prone to procrastination
~ trying to balance school, Youtube, games, drawing, anime, manga, Korean variety shows, K-pop news and a social life

tloos1999

• Trailblazer
  • Kid from the West with an Academic Dream
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 05:32:33 am »
I will admit in the past week of typing notes, I almost forgot how to write LOL. It was yesterday in class, I was writing a response for biology and i felt as if my hand wasn't working. It was so slow and slower than usual by a long shot. I think It will be better when I summarise my notes and write some essays this week in prep for trials. I have to mix it up I guess...
Thomas Loos