Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:17:24 pm

Author Topic: Trial Exams- Tips/How is everyone feeling?  (Read 7653 times)

tloos1999

• Trailblazer
  • Kid from the West with an Academic Dream
  • Respect: +6
Trial Exams- Tips/How is everyone feeling?
« on: July 16, 2017, 11:41:15 pm »
+1
So, trials for me start on the 31st of July- 14th of August.
My rundown:
31st: English Adv. AOS
1st: English Adv. Modules
3rd: Gen. Maths
7th: 2 Unit Religion
8th: Physics
9th: PDH/PE
10th: Biology

I don't mind the first week, but the second week is going to be a killer, 4 consecutive exams. Maybe having 4 consecutive exams will be a good thing, might get a roll on and some good momentum. How is everyone else timetable fairing? How is everyone feeling? Confident, stressed, still writing notes? What is on everyones agenda for these trials?

I know from my point of view, I have finished most my notes, collation and all, tomorrow I will have to fix some last dot points up then It will be all good. My aim is then for the next two weeks, to revise these notes, learn them thoroughly, and mix in tons and tons of past papers (especially for maths). I am nervous for how these exams are going to be written though, they are devised from an external source, CSSA, so interested to see what these will consist of and how tough these may be.

More of a general question, what does everyone else's plans consist of, because from what was gathered, a majority of others have their exams on similar dates. Anyone have any tips on how to prepare best for these exams, or is it the general practice exam advice.
Okay, enough of my rambling, just wanted to see how everyone else was travelling.
Good Luck All :)
Thomas Loos

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
Re: Trial Exams- Tips/How is everyone feeling?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:56:51 pm »
+1
My timetable is a killer: ecos and extension 1 on the same day, everything in the first week except english paper 2 and then extension 2 a week after trials so I don't get to relax  :'(

I'm feeling super unprepared because I've done way too little work these holidays, but I completely burnt out by the end of last term so I'm rationalising it as a necessary break. I think I'm just gonna tackle it like you and go hard on past papers for the next two weeks. I probably won't bother with finishing my notes at this point, but just downloading someone else's and learning the content through past papers.

I've heard CSSA exams are really tough, but on the bright side they make them harder than the HSC so it should be easier in the end. Good luck  :)
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:16:01 pm »
+2
My timetable is a killer: ecos and extension 1 on the same day, everything in the first week except english paper 2 and then extension 2 a week after trials so I don't get to relax  :'(

I'm feeling super unprepared because I've done way too little work these holidays, but I completely burnt out by the end of last term so I'm rationalising it as a necessary break. I think I'm just gonna tackle it like you and go hard on past papers for the next two weeks. I probably won't bother with finishing my notes at this point, but just downloading someone else's and learning the content through past papers.

I've heard CSSA exams are really tough, but on the bright side they make them harder than the HSC so it should be easier in the end. Good luck  :)

Totally agree with you there, mixel. These holidays have not been as productive as I would've wanted it to be. Ditch the notes and do papers. The only notes I do is for physics and that's just so I plug in any knowledge gaps or dot points that were missed.

English is just a massive time dump. I spend so much time on it yet get little done because it's so hard and not fun plus I have a major to finish as well...
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:39:49 pm »
+1
i'm so all over the place because there's so much to do in so little time - i get overwhelmed very easily, and that makes me unproductive. my trials are from july 31 to august 8 with a terrible timetable - i have english p1 on july 31, english p2 on august 1, legal on august 2, maths and modern on august 3, then business on august 8. good luck everyone!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 05:04:43 pm »
+1
1st week is alright:
31st: English (Paper 1)
1st: English (Paper 2)
3rd: Maths 2U
4th: Chemistry

2nd week... I'll let it speak for itself.
8th: Maths Extension 1 (afternoon)
9th: Biology (morning) and Economics (afternoon), with one hour between.

A similar thing happened with my half-yearlies: Maths Extension 1 and Economics on the same day, also 1 hour between...

More of a general question, what does everyone else's plans consist of, because from what was gathered, a majority of others have their exams on similar dates. Anyone have any tips on how to prepare best for these exams, or is it the general practice exam advice.
Okay, enough of my rambling, just wanted to see how everyone else was travelling.
Good Luck All :)

From tomorrow onwards, I'm just gonna do past-trial after past-trial after past-trial... you get the point  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:06:17 pm by 13cheungjn1 »
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »
+1
My exams are from the 7th August to the 18th August.
I actually have 9 exams so i'm feeling pretty stressed.
They are:
7th: English paper one
8th: English paper two
9th: Legal
10th: Music aural
11th: Hospitality
14th: Maths
15: History Extension
17th: Music prac
18th: Ancient

Do you guys have any tips, on how to stay motivated throughout the exams so that by Ancient I am not over studying and worn out by all the exams that I have done?
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 05:30:00 pm »
+3
Do you guys have any tips, on how to stay motivated throughout the exams so that by Ancient I am not over studying and worn out by all the exams that I have done?

Be sure to relax after each exam; don't jump straight into revising for the next one! (I did this for half-yearlies and I have never burnt out so quickly, trust me!)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:32:23 pm by 13cheungjn1 »
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:37:39 pm »
+3
My exams are from the 7th August to the 18th August.
I actually have 9 exams so i'm feeling pretty stressed.
They are:
7th: English paper one
8th: English paper two
9th: Legal
10th: Music aural
11th: Hospitality
14th: Maths
15: History Extension
17th: Music prac
18th: Ancient

My tip would be to have your content, and the bulk of your practice exams done in the next coming week. This means that the night before trials, you aren't cramming information into your head last minute, but just doing light revision. I can speak by personal experience that cramming - combined with exam after exam - is the formula for a burnout. Even then, if you're prepared and feel confident throughout your first few exams, you won't feel depressed and worn out by the time you get to your ancient exam. Generally, when you don't feel confident after an exam, it'll play on your mind throughout the day and thus, inhibit your ability to study for the next one. 
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 05:55:57 pm »
+1
Mines pretty perfectly balanced, would have liked SOR and Modern to be switched though but that's barely an issue compared to others:
31/7 ENA PAPER 1 9-11.10am
1/8 ENA PAPER 2 9-11.05am
2/8 VISUAL ARTS 9-10.35am
3/8 MODERN HISTORY 1.10-4.15pm
7/8 SOR 1 9-10.35am
9/8 FRENCH READING, WRITING, LISTENING 9-12.05pm,  FRENCH SPEAKING 1.30-2.30pm
10/8 ENGLISH EXTENSION 1.10-3.20pm
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 06:16:26 pm »

Mines pretty perfectly balanced, would have liked SOR and Modern to be switched though but that's barely an issue compared to others:
31/7 ENA PAPER 1 9-11.10am
1/8 ENA PAPER 2 9-11.05am
2/8 VISUAL ARTS 9-10.35am
3/8 MODERN HISTORY 1.10-4.15pm
7/8 SOR 1 9-10.35am
9/8 FRENCH READING, WRITING, LISTENING 9-12.05pm,  FRENCH SPEAKING 1.30-2.30pm
10/8 ENGLISH EXTENSION 1.10-3.20pm

Definitely a lucky schedule for you. I have modern and SOR 2 on the same day :(
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »
+2
I have an exam every single day on the 1st week and then an exam on Monday/Friday on the 2nd week. I am doing the same thing as you guys too! I'll probably be working on past papers and looking through all my notes. I'm happy to help you guys if you need notes and essay plans! But, I am so nervous for Trials, less than 3 weeks to go! Oml.
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

Jerylieiah

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »
+2
Crap.

My exams start tomorrow and despite saying I will study hard in the holidays, I ended up barely studying at all. I'm a big procrastinator. Anyways, my exam schedule is:

18 July: English AOS, Software
19 July: English Modules
21 July: Maths 2-Unit
24 July: Engineering Studies
25 July: Business Studies

Hope everyone else's exams go well!  ;D

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 09:49:38 pm »
Crap.

My exams start tomorrow and despite saying I will study hard in the holidays, I ended up barely studying at all. I'm a big procrastinator. Anyways, my exam schedule is:

18 July: English AOS, Software
19 July: English Modules
21 July: Maths 2-Unit
24 July: Engineering Studies
25 July: Business Studies

Hope everyone else's exams go well!  ;D

That's brutal! Good luck mate!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 10:09:06 pm »
We've already had a trial block week 8-9 on the whole course but now we've got CSSA week 3-4 and trial 3 week 7-8, gonna be tiring but gonna get through it! :D

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 10:28:02 pm »
+2
We've already had a trial block week 8-9 on the whole course but now we've got CSSA week 3-4 and trial 3 week 7-8, gonna be tiring but gonna get through it! :D

Three sets of Trials, that is intense! I suppose short term pain for long term gain :P