Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:58:15 pm

Author Topic: Let's reflect on trials.  (Read 8178 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Let's reflect on trials.
« on: August 23, 2017, 11:38:44 am »
+7
The results are filtering in now from your biggest exam block to date.

Let us know:
1. Overall, have you done as you expected? Worse? Better?
2. Reflecting on the exam period - what will you do differently in the preparation and in the actual exam for HSC?
3. What's your plan from here?

A word of advice: Across all of my subjects, quite a few HSC questions were incredibly similar to my trial questions - even entire essays. You can imagine how many people in our exam room were kicking themselves when they realised they'd never gone back to those trial questions and resubmitted for further feedback, or even addressed the feedback to begin with! You've done the exam, so milk it for all its worth: get feedback from teachers, peers at school, peers at ATAR Notes, re-write the essays, work out where you went wrong in maths.

So, let's reflect! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Let's reflect on trials.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:48:31 pm »
+7

Let us know:
2. Reflecting on the exam period - what will you do differently in the preparation and in the actual exam for HSC?

1. both modern and legal i did a lot better than expected, especially considering my exam timetable.
2. prep wise for the hsc i have a lot more time to prepare because of the huge gap between trials, so i'll be doing a lot more practice papers than before trials, and lots more practice responses.
3. just trying to keep my motivation up i guess!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »
+4

Let us know:

A word of advice: Across all of my subjects, quite a few HSC questions were incredibly similar to my trial questions - even entire essays. You can imagine how many people in our exam room were kicking themselves when they realised they'd never gone back to those trial questions and resubmitted for further feedback, or even addressed the feedback to begin with! You've done the exam, so milk it for all its worth: get feedback from teachers, peers at school, peers at ATAR Notes, re-write the essays, work out where you went wrong in maths.

1. Just got my last results today! Was pleasantly surprised with phys and english (considering I was still writing my mod c essay the day before paper 2) but slightly disappointed with chem and math - usually they're my best subjects. Overall I'm quite happy though :))

2. Sleep. more. Really should've learnt this lesson earlier, I slept late before my 4u exam to look through past papers and I think that's the reason I made a ridiculous amount of silly mistakes :(. Didn't get a chance to practice writing essays with different questions because I was memorising them the day before the exam, so I'm planning on doing that now that there's heaps of time before the HSC. For chem and phys, will definitely slow down in the exam and spend more time thinking about every question before writing, 3 hours was longer than I thought it would be.

3. Hopefully going to do a maths paper every 2 days or so, maybe everyday when the HSC gets closer. Usually I just read through chem/phys papers without writing anything out so I'm gonna start doing these papers properly to improve my 5-7 markers. Also going to write a new creative because the one I used for trials got completely destroyed, and practice writing my essays.

Oops that ended up being really long. That was kinda motivating though! Gonna stop slacking now that it's been over 2 weeks since I finished trials hahah :))
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:20:11 pm »
+4

Let us know:

1. Worse than expected :(
2. Agree with the above: Start preparation earlier, practice responses, and past papers. Also for the sleep: had an average of 4-5 hours the night before
3. Make colourful mind-maps/summaries for each of my subjects, go through Trial feedback with teachers in 1-on-1 sessions
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 04:31:44 pm »
+5

2. Sleep. more. Really should've learnt this lesson earlier, I slept late before my 4u exam to look through past papers and I think that's the reason I made a ridiculous amount of silly mistakes :(. Didn't get a chance to practice writing essays with different questions because I was memorising them the day before the exam, so I'm planning on doing that now that there's heaps of time before the HSC. For chem and phys, will definitely slow down in the exam and spend more time thinking about every question before writing, 3 hours was longer than I thought it would be.

Jamon was a hero for past papers - I'm sure you can smash a few out. And you're right, the time is now! Back to it :)

1. Worse than expected :(
2. Agree with the above: Start preparation earlier, practice responses, and past papers. Also for the sleep: had an average of 4-5 hours the night before
3. Make colourful mind-maps/summaries for each of my subjects, go through Trial feedback with teachers in 1-on-1 sessions

Have you been able to pinpoint areas for improvement? I think the 1 on 1 feedback with your teachers will be very helpful. Be proactive in pushing for more if your teacher is vague or you aren't fully understanding what they are suggesting. Sometimes (even now), I receive feedback and think "yep, got this." And then I get home to re-write something and realise I haven't at all understood what went down in my feedback.

It's only upwards from here! :) :)

1. both modern and legal i did a lot better than expected, especially considering my exam timetable.
2. prep wise for the hsc i have a lot more time to prepare because of the huge gap between trials, so i'll be doing a lot more practice papers than before trials, and lots more practice responses.

Woohoo! You. have. got. this!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:19:00 pm »
+3
So happy to hear that Modern (and legal obviously too - but modern ;) ) went well!! So well deserved though, considering how much work you put into it (and how much work you put into helping others as well!)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:22:34 pm »
+2
So happy to hear that Modern (and legal obviously too - but modern ;) ) went well!! So well deserved though, considering how much work you put into it (and how much work you put into helping others as well!)

modern was a really pleasant surprise when it came back :-) thank you!!

(i definitely put modern before all my other subjects, whoops)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:26:47 pm »
+2
(i definitely put modern before all my other subjects, whoops)
don't we all ;)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 07:29:31 pm »
+2
1) All went well except biology but I'm surprised with how all of them went I thought I stuffed them up

2) We have a THIRD set of trials starting next week so no breaks yet... a bit of cramming to come again as I've still got to edit english stuff. Probably more 4U maths papers for HSC and do hard questions from science papers. Probably gonna do CSSA and NEAP since HSC has the worst sample answers of all time

3) Start studying more per day not just 1-2 hours!

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:21:15 pm »
+5
1) I expected myself to go bad - I ended up doing much worse than I expected. Obviously can't blame anyone but myself here, but damn I feel terrible right now.

2) This is definitely going to be something that is easily worked on, but basically just knowing content. I'm not even kidding when I say that for every single subject, there was at least half a topic that I had not yet covered. Now being in humanities, where the syllabus is synonymous to a Bible, it was difficult to answer questions which honed in on syllabus areas that I know nothing of. With an 8 week time-frame until the HSC though, I feel that my marks could improve significantly if I just knew the content.

3) Collaborating with the rest of my cohort. Even though i'm no longer happy with my rank in most of my subjects, I need to accept that nothing can change them. From now until the HSC, we aren't individual numbers competing for internal ranks, but a group of numbers who represent our school against the entire state. If I can teach, and be teached by other students, then we as a group are moderated up and our terrible trial marks won't matter :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 03:01:30 pm »
+2

3) Collaborating with the rest of my cohort. Even though i'm no longer happy with my rank in most of my subjects, I need to accept that nothing can change them. From now until the HSC, we aren't individual numbers competing for internal ranks, but a group of numbers who represent our school against the entire state. If I can teach, and be teached by other students, then we as a group are moderated up and our terrible trial marks won't matter :)

THIS. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Now is the time for collaboration of resources, tips, reviews, etc. Swap case studies with your peers, join forces with the people who ROCK the course but you aren't real close with, and share time and experiences. This is a very rewarding period coming up!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 03:53:59 pm »
+1

Let us know:

1. My school does the hsc compacted so I only had three exams to sit, I got 88.5% in pd, 88% in legal and 86% in ext 1 English. Not gonna lie, I was a little dissapointed in pd and legal cause I had aimed to get a 90 but oh well it's making me wanna work harder for hsc!

2. Definitely going to hand in a lot more responses to my teachers between now and hsc

3. Giving myself a bit of a break because it was just so hectic with trials and major work due but then will be getting back into it soon!
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 07:36:34 pm »
+1
I did alright in my trial exams but now that I have my overall subject mark for the year, I'm super scared that I won't get an ATAR that'll let me into uni! Would it be okay to post my marks for my subjects for someone to help me set goals for my HSC exams?
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 09:32:34 pm »
I did alright in my trial exams but now that I have my overall subject mark for the year, I'm super scared that I won't get an ATAR that'll let me into uni! Would it be okay to post my marks for my subjects for someone to help me set goals for my HSC exams?

You sure can! Remember that your internal marks aren't as important as you may think - This guide explains how it all works ;D

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 10:40:09 pm »
So far results have been as expected (maths terrible, business studies OK).

English I got the highest score as an average of both papers' mark but only 10/15 for creative writing. That was the only real thing I put time into as my post expenditure on the ATN marking threads shows, and I thought the stimulus fit OK. I got 7/10 for the previous CW assignment back in December so it's pretty depressing to regress like that. Idek what more I could do before mid-October since I've tried all the resources I have. The mark's probably cost me the #1 overall spot for the course too /salt.