Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:27:47 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3622020 times)  Share 

ssillyssnakes

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +36
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11940 on: September 24, 2019, 12:11:05 pm »
+3
hey guys,
this is not really a content based question but around how many marks can you afford to drop in the exam to still get an A+?
i know that this varies year to year and it's kinda hard to answer but i am currently doing practice exams and i have no idea whether my marks are on track for the score that i want to be getting. i'm really aiming for a 45+ so and A+ is kinda necessary on the exam :(
Not sure whether this helps but I know of someone who dropped 10 marks and got a 50. Obviously it depends on your SAC scores and stuff so it can't really be judged for sure.

Sounds kinda corny, but just try to get as high as you can and eliminate dumb mistakes
2019: Bio [38 rip]

2020: Literature, Methods, Chemistry, and Classical Studies

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #11941 on: September 25, 2019, 04:25:26 pm »
Hey guys!
I just wanted clarification on a question.
So, this question is from the 2017 Biology Exam.
State two ethical implications of the genetic screening of newborn babies.

I wrote:
This may be distressing news to the parents if the baby does have a disease.
Parents may give up the baby if they find out it has a disease as they do not want to support it. Baby won't grow up to know parents.
I'm not sure if I would get any marks for this? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!
Your help is greatly appreciated!
 ;D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #11942 on: September 25, 2019, 09:48:28 pm »
+3
Hey guys!
I just wanted clarification on a question.
So, this question is from the 2017 Biology Exam.
State two ethical implications of the genetic screening of newborn babies.

I wrote:
This may be distressing news to the parents if the baby does have a disease.
Parents may give up the baby if they find out it has a disease as they do not want to support it. Baby won't grow up to know parents.
I'm not sure if I would get any marks for this? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!
Your help is greatly appreciated!
 ;D
I think that these are both valid answers, however, a stronger point may also be discussing either informed consent or the likelihood in a rising abortion rate as parents choose not to have children with certain conditions. I particularly like your second point and think that relating it to abortion would strengthen it.

thenuttyprofessor

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11943 on: September 25, 2019, 09:51:46 pm »
+1
anyone have a practice exam tracker? If not i can make one...what features would you like..... especially subject specific like bio

Comet striker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #11944 on: September 26, 2019, 03:20:10 pm »
+1
Hey there,
Quick question: Is the enzyme concentration vs enzyme activity graph linear? I assumed it would be similar to the substrate concentration vs enzyme activity
graph, but not sure anymore. If it is linear, why so?
Also while on the topic for graphs: is the pH graph even on both sides or is it a climb to a sudden drop
thnx 
Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy
Come marching home
Brave soldier boy
Comes marching home

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11945 on: September 26, 2019, 05:00:29 pm »
+1
Hey there,
Quick question: Is the enzyme concentration vs enzyme activity graph linear? I assumed it would be similar to the substrate concentration vs enzyme activity
graph, but not sure anymore. If it is linear, why so?
Also while on the topic for graphs: is the pH graph even on both sides or is it a climb to a sudden drop
thnx 
Hi.  :)
The enzyme concentration vs enzyme activity graph is similar to the substrate concentration vs enzyme activity graph. They are not linear but towards the end, they plateau.
The pH graph is low and even on both sides.

Also, I had a few questions I wanted to ask you guys from the 2016 Biology exam.

2.c
A by-product of the acid treatment of plant materials is a group of chemical compounds called furans. It has been observed that as the concentration of furans increases, the rate of fermentation decreases. The enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase is required for the process of fermentation.
 Design an experiment to test the hypothesis that one of the furans, called furfural, is an inhibitor of
the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase. Assume that the experiment will be repeated many times and that
environmental factors are kept constant.
I wrote:
I said that there would have to be the same amounts of substrate(furfural and the actual substrate) and did not talk about glucose at all. I was wondering why we had to include  glucose in the experimental design because aren't we just looking at the alcohol enzyme and the furfural? I understand glucose is involved in fermentation but why is it necessary to add glucose?

5.c Name two cell types that would be important in providing lifelong immunity and explain the role of each in providing lifelong immunity.
I wrote:
I talked about B memory cells. The second cell i talked about was plasma B cells and I was wondering if this was also a suitable answer? Because they do produce antibodies but I'm not sure if they stay in the body and provide long-lasting immunity?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:02:06 pm by Evolio »

Comet striker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #11946 on: September 26, 2019, 07:19:40 pm »
+3
Hey thnx for the help. Helped me out
I wrote:
I said that there would have to be the same amounts of substrate(furfural and the actual substrate) and did not talk about glucose at all. I was wondering why we had to include  glucose in the experimental design because aren't we just looking at the alcohol enzyme and the furfural? I understand glucose is involved in fermentation but why is it necessary to add glucose?
I can answer this. The way you answer experimental type questions in my experience is mention dependent, independent, and control variables and then provide a general method. If the questions states a hypothesis. You would include results that would support the hypothesis.

As stated in a previous question from the 2016 VCAA exam:
This glucose is then used by yeast cells for fermentation
This is the reason you need glucose for fermentation and include it in your response, since yeast needs to break down glucose for anaerobic respiration.
This is also why you would include this as a control variable as random amounts of glucose can give you inconclusive results.

plasma B cells and I was wondering if this was also a suitable answer? Because they do produce antibodies but I'm not sure if they stay in the body and provide long-lasting immunity?
This is a pretty good question. You can think of it this way. What are antibodies? they re proteins. When referencing long term immunity, the question is asking if i can last for more than a few years. Antibodies I believe stay in the system for a few months or so? So ye for long term memory, Memory B and T cells are prolly your best bet for marks.

I hope this answers your questions. Im not really good at answering questions tho so maybe some other ppl will be able to explain it better than me lol
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:22:32 pm by Comet striker »
Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy
Come marching home
Brave soldier boy
Comes marching home

GFeuilherade

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11947 on: September 27, 2019, 02:22:26 pm »
Hellooo
I've been doing exams, like most people I'm sure haha and I got really stuck on this one multiple choice question:

The artificial gene may have a different nucleotide sequence from the human insulin gene. This is because the DNA code is
A. Redundant or
B. Universal.

I knew it was one or the other (the last two options were obviously wrong) and the answers said it was A... I thought it made more sense to choose B, universal (since the definition of universal is basically something that is applicable to everything)? I always struggle to tell the difference between the two terms. Is it redundant because it codes for the same thing despite a different sequence? Any help would be appreciated!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #11948 on: September 27, 2019, 02:38:08 pm »
+4
Hellooo
I've been doing exams, like most people I'm sure haha and I got really stuck on this one multiple choice question:

The artificial gene may have a different nucleotide sequence from the human insulin gene. This is because the DNA code is
A. Redundant or
B. Universal.

I knew it was one or the other (the last two options were obviously wrong) and the answers said it was A... I thought it made more sense to choose B, universal (since the definition of universal is basically something that is applicable to everything)? I always struggle to tell the difference between the two terms. Is it redundant because it codes for the same thing despite a different sequence? Any help would be appreciated!
Hey,
Universal does mean applicable to everything - in bio, universal means that all organisms have the same DNA bases, A T C G and the same structure (a double helix).

Redundant has a similar meaning to unnecessary. In bio it refers to how multiple codons can code for the same amino acid. In order to make a protein, you need to get a chain of the correct amino acids, to get an amino acid you only need one codon that can code for it, so having multiple codons that result in the same amino acid is redundant. You can see this if you look at a codon/amino acid table, the same amino acid will be listed in multiple spots because there are multiple codons that can result in it.

The question asks how an artificial gene can have a different nucleotide sequence (ie different codons) to a human gene, but still produce the same protein (ie the same string of amino acids). This is because DNA is redundant, meaning there are some (many) unnecessary codons that exist within it.

2.c
A by-product of the acid treatment of plant materials is a group of chemical compounds called furans. It has been observed that as the concentration of furans increases, the rate of fermentation decreases. The enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase is required for the process of fermentation.
 Design an experiment to test the hypothesis that one of the furans, called furfural, is an inhibitor of
the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase. Assume that the experiment will be repeated many times and that
environmental factors are kept constant.
I wrote:
To know whether furfural is an inhibitor, you need to know whether it's inhibiting something, which means you need to know what rate that something it occurring at with various concentrations of furfural and constant concentrations of the actual substrate. You *could* put in whatever the substrate of alcohol dehydrogenase is in (which is what you've said), however you then need a plan for how to measure whatever the product of that reaction is, and given you don't need to know what either the substrate or reaction is for the exam, that's gonna be a hard experiment to design. Alternatively, you put in glucose, and measure either the ethanol or co2 in plants or lactic acid in mammals. Given those are products that you need to know, using them as your dependent variables is far easier than memorising the products of every stage of every version of photosynthesis & respiration just in case you get a question where you can use that.

So you could do an experiment without glucose, but you can't design an experiment without saying what your dependent variable is and how you plan to measure it, which makes not using glucose difficult.

5.c Name two cell types that would be important in providing lifelong immunity and explain the role of each in providing lifelong immunity.
I wrote:
I talked about B memory cells. The second cell i talked about was plasma B cells and I was wondering if this was also a suitable answer? Because they do produce antibodies but I'm not sure if they stay in the body and provide long-lasting immunity?
As comet striker said, you should only refer to memory cells when talking about long lasting immunity - that's why they're called memory cells.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:19:19 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Rameen

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11949 on: September 27, 2019, 03:13:51 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am a bit confused about the difference between selection pressures and selecting agents. Are they the same thing - factors that affect the survival of members of a population so that variation is produced in the phenotypes?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11950 on: September 27, 2019, 03:17:58 pm »
+4
Hi everyone,
I am a bit confused about the difference between selection pressures and selecting agents. Are they the same thing - factors that affect the survival of members of a population so that variation is produced in the phenotypes?
They're slightly different but frequently used interchangeably. A selecting agent is the thing enforcing the selection pressure. e.g. a selection pressure is predation, causing individuals with a trait to survive longer, reproduce etc. more than individuals without that trait, and the selecting agent would be the predators.

I wouldn't worry about the distinction though, the study design only refers to selection pressures, and I haven't seen anything to indicate that vcaa distinguishes between the two terms (but I would stick with using pressure given that's what's in the study design).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:27:54 pm by PhoenixxFire »

Amnilauv

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11951 on: September 27, 2019, 05:15:57 pm »
+1
At the saturation point of enzymes (from increasing enzyme conc./substrate conc.), is the rate of activity truly zero? I assumed that the rate of activity is actually still increasing, although by very very small amounts to the point where it is negligible to say it's increasing.

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11952 on: September 27, 2019, 05:21:37 pm »
+1
At the saturation point of enzymes (from increasing enzyme conc./substrate conc.), is the rate of activity truly zero? I assumed that the rate of activity is actually still increasing, although by very very small amounts to the point where it is negligible to say it's increasing.
Hi!
I think the rate of activity would be very close to 0. For eg, when you look at increasing enzyme concentration, there are lots of enzymes but there are limited amounts of substrate which means that there are not enough substrates to bind to all the enzymes that are there. This means that not many enzyme-substrate complexes can be formed and so after some time when all the substrates have been used up, there would be no reaction occurring.

Thank you Comet striker and PhoenixxFire for your help!  ;D
I have a better understanding now!

I have more questions to ask. Some of these are from exams.
Do B cells undergo clonal expansion and selection to differentiate into B plasma cells and B memory cells? Also where does T memory come from? Because I learnt that T helper activates T cytotoxic but does T memory undergo clonal expansion and selection to form T cytotoxic and T helper?

2. Question 7.c from 2015 Exam.
In the rat pituitary gland, GC stimulates the production of the growth hormone protein. However, in the rat liver, GC stimulates the production of the enzyme tryptophan oxygenase.
Given that the genetic sequence is identical in all somatic rat cells, explain how the production ofdistinct proteins in different cell types could occur.
What i wrote:
I wrote about alternative splicing and how different exons can be left in and some exons can be skipped meaing that different sequences of exons can be produced so there are different sequences of DNA. So, different proteins will be produced due to there being different amino acids having been coded for. Is this answer valid for this question?

3. Question 11 b from 2015 Exam
For the Out-of-Africa theory, did some populations of Homo sapiens migrate out of Africa and some populations were left which explains why there is no neanderthal DNA in modern day African people?
I'm a bit confused about this theory as I also heard that evolution in Africa occurred and then they moved out?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:25:14 pm by Evolio »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11953 on: September 27, 2019, 06:06:31 pm »
+2
Do you mean that rate of increase (not the rate of activity) is zero?
Yes, it would eventually be zero. It does slow down before it gets to the point though. If you have a set number of enzymes, there's only so fast it can be working, regardless of the substrate concentration.

Think of it this way. Imagine you have a dishwasher (enzyme), the substrate in this scenario isn't any one specific thing, we're just going to refer to every time the dishwasher turns on as when the substrate enters. Now if you're loading this by hand, it's going to take a long time if you walk around the house and collect each dish individually everytime you want to turn the dishwasher on. This is like what happens when there is a low concentration of substrate, it takes longer for the substrate and enzyme to find each other. If you instead have a pile of dishes next to the dishwasher and put them in as soon as the dishwasher turns off and then hit start again, that's going to be a lot faster, like how adding more substrate decreases the amount of time it takes for a substrate to bump into an enzyme.
Here's the thing though, this dishwasher takes 20 minutes. Even if you devise a way for the dishes to instantly be transported into the dishwasher and for it to start again the second it turns off (like with very very high substrate concentration), that dishwasher is still going to take 20 minutes to wash those dishes (or to catalyse that reaction if we're talking about enzymes). There's nothing you can do to make those dishes go in faster - they're already going in instantly, so there is nothing you can change about the substrate that will make that dishwasher/enzyme do anything faster, so the rate of the reaction is not going to increase any further unless you change other factors.

I have more questions to ask. Some of these are from exams.
Do B cells undergo clonal expansion and selection to differentiate into B plasma cells and B memory cells? Also where does T memory come from? Because I learnt that T helper activates T cytotoxic but does T memory undergo clonal expansion and selection to form T cytotoxic and T helper?
Yes.
cytotoxic and helper T cells are seperate things. They both already exist in your body as naive Tc and Th cells. A Tc cell will be selected when it finds a cell presenting a fragment it can bind to, a Th cell will be selected when it is presented with a fragment from an APC. When that Th cell is costimulated by a B cell that has also bound a fragment, the Th cell with release interleukins, these interleukins are what causes all the differentiation and proliferation amongst B, Th, and Tc cells. Don't worry too much about remembering the precise details, you probably won't need to talk about Th cells helping Tc cells to divide and differentiate in the exam (but you might need to talk about them helping B cells do that).

2. Question 7.c from 2015 Exam.
In the rat pituitary gland, GC stimulates the production of the growth hormone protein. However, in the rat liver, GC stimulates the production of the enzyme tryptophan oxygenase.
Given that the genetic sequence is identical in all somatic rat cells, explain how the production ofdistinct proteins in different cell types could occur.
What i wrote:
I wrote about alternative splicing and how different exons can be left in and some exons can be skipped meaing that different sequences of exons can be produced so there are different sequences of DNA. So, different proteins will be produced due to there being different amino acids having been coded for. Is this answer valid for this question?
haha I was just thinking about this question earlier today. It comes up every year and was answered incredibly badly when it was in the exam (something like 0.1/2).

The VCAA suggested answer is fairly useless too. You're in the right sort of area, but you haven't said why these would occur differently in different cells. VCAA says that you need to say that there are different transcription factors affecting it, and that's all they've said. I don't think that would get you 2 marks though.
To get the two marks you'd probably have to talk about there being different transcription factors in each cells due to them being different cells and that those transcriptions factors could alter transcription in the way you've suggested.

The question (with their answer) is a bit crap imo. You're not told in VCE that transcription factors have anything to do with post transcription modifications, so it would be a bit unreasonable to expect you to link transcriptional factors to that. You might be expected to know that factors in different cells lead to differing post transcriptional modifications, but VCAA expects you to call them transcription factors, which you aren't taught to call them.

IMO the only sufficiently correct way to answer that question would be to talk about how the receptors are different in each of the cells (both are complimentary to the same signal, but the rest of the protein is different) and how that means that the receptor/signal complex binds to a different gene in each cell, therefore producing a different protein.

From the way the VCAA answer is worded, they're implying that they want you to understand that the specific genetic sequence of both proteins is identical, when the question could easily be interpreted to mean they're saying that all the DNA is the same in all cells. If they are referring to the one specific section of DNA being identical, then that^ answer would be incorrect as its saying they attach to different sections of DNA, which doesn't explain how "identical genetic sequence" could produce different proteins.

It's a crap question, don't worry about it too much.

3. Question 11 b from 2015 Exam
For the Out-of-Africa theory, did some populations of Homo sapiens migrate out of Africa and some populations were left which explains why there is no neanderthal DNA in modern day African people?
I'm a bit confused about this theory as I also heard that evolution in Africa occurred and then they moved out?
Out of africa does say that, the evolution in africa might be a different theory you're confusing it with?

Amnilauv

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11954 on: September 27, 2019, 06:32:10 pm »
+1
Do you mean that rate of increase (not the rate of activity) is zero?
Yes, it would eventually be zero. It does slow down before it gets to the point though. If you have a set number of enzymes, there's only so fast it can be working, regardless of the substrate concentration.
Nope, I was actually talk about the rate of activity

Think of it this way. Imagine you have a dishwasher (enzyme), the substrate in this scenario isn't any one specific thing, we're just going to refer to every time the dishwasher turns on as when the substrate enters. Now if you're loading this by hand, it's going to take a long time if you walk around the house and collect each dish individually everytime you want to turn the dishwasher on. This is like what happens when there is a low concentration of substrate, it takes longer for the substrate and enzyme to find each other. If you instead have a pile of dishes next to the dishwasher and put them in as soon as the dishwasher turns off and then hit start again, that's going to be a lot faster, like how adding more substrate decreases the amount of time it takes for a substrate to bump into an enzyme.
Here's the thing though, this dishwasher takes 20 minutes. Even if you devise a way for the dishes to instantly be transported into the dishwasher and for it to start again the second it turns off (like with very very high substrate concentration), that dishwasher is still going to take 20 minutes to wash those dishes (or to catalyse that reaction if we're talking about enzymes). There's nothing you can do to make those dishes go in faster - they're already going in instantly, so there is nothing you can change about the substrate that will make that dishwasher/enzyme do anything faster, so the rate of the reaction is not going to increase any further unless you change other factors.
Thank you for the analogy!
A 'rate of activity' is defined as substrates converting into products, so even though you keep on increasing the substrate concentration, yes the amount of enzymes will be occupied with a substrate already, but as soon as an enzyme is finished converting its substrate into a product (this counts as a measure of rate of activity), it moves onto a new substrate, which is why I don't see why the rate of activity would be zero (unless I misconstrued your analogy).

Sorry, a bit hard to explain via text

EDIT: Ok, as I was thinking about it before I posted, I think I understand now.
The rate of reaction (which is the speed of reactants to products) won't actually increase because every enzyme is occupied already, but the amount of products will keep on increasing (I misinterpreted 'rate of activity' as how much reactants turn to products). Unless I'm wrong, please correct me!

Thank you Phoenixxx and Evolio :)