Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:58:50 am

Author Topic: Australian Open 2019  (Read 22112 times)

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
Re: Australian Open 2019
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2019, 10:27:41 pm »
When Djokovic made the quarterfinal of the French Open last year, I thought he was on the comeback (though his loss there was surprising). But I didn't expect that comeback to include winning the next three slams plus taking the final masters tournament he hadn't won and returning to No 1.  Plus surely being one of the favourites for the remaining slams this year...
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2019, 10:40:25 pm »
Somewhat disappointing final to be honest.

Agree 100%.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2019, 10:49:27 pm »
I really hope this isn't what I think it is, although it's been said many times before; it almost feels like the beginning of the end for Rafa's body.

That said, even a barely running Rafa could probably steal another French.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2019, 10:51:58 pm »
It was clearly obvious something was going on with Rafa. He was losing points that he has easily won in previous matches. I don't want to take anything away from Djokovic's win because it was hard fought and clearly won, but Rafa defs wasn't playing at his peak and really to go down in straight sets when his previous matches he hasn't dropped many sets (if any?) overall... eh, says something wasn't right.

Rafa still walks away with a cool $2.1m in prize money for being runner up, not including any money earned via sponsorships etc. :)
Not bad for a 2 week tournament!
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2019, 11:00:12 pm »
Was a let down, but it's still worthwhile watching, there were quite a few entertaining rallies (was to be expected though). I do agree that the scoreline needs to be close with switch-ups in momentum (like the women's final) for it to be exciting. Nadal's net play was dissapointing, he would put himself in a good position into the net from the baseline on his own terms but would do a poor half volley where Djokovic hit a shot towards his body.

In terms of value for money, 4th/3rd day or night passes are probably the best. Multiple matches, with a very high chance of reasonably high quality matches.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2019, 11:02:13 pm »
WOW! Novak was just too good this final.

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2019, 11:15:25 pm »
Djokovic was a machine! Was hoping for more of a battle but I'm not too surprised, even with recent Rafa's recent form. Djokovic at his best reaches this exceptional level of domination... and doing it against Nadal... even the best of the best rarely look so good against the top opponents..
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash