Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 09:47:10 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348548 times)  Share 

lha

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Lambton High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2016, 04:22:39 pm »
Always number form! It's a list of steps, like cooking.

Thank you!

lha

• Trendsetter
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2016, 04:24:07 pm »
Also no that there is less than a month till hsc bio exam, what do you do for study?

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2016, 04:27:40 pm »
Also no that there is less than a month till hsc bio exam, what do you do for study?

You should revise absolutely everything
This includes practical and Research tasks
You should also try to do as many past papers as possible

If you want some help with study check out this
http://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=161208
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:30:11 pm by Skidous »
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

lha

• Trendsetter
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2016, 04:41:37 pm »
You should revise absolutely everything
This includes practical and Research tasks
You should also try to do as many past papers as possible

If you want some help with study check out this
http://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=161208

Okay so are past papers enough or do I have to go and rewrite my notes ( they have said to rewrite notes in every forum so far but i want to know if it is actually necessary, arent past papers enough?)

kevin217

• Forum Regular
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2016, 04:53:33 pm »
Okay so are past papers enough or do I have to go and rewrite my notes ( they have said to rewrite notes in every forum so far but i want to know if it is actually necessary, arent past papers enough?)

I definitely don't think you should be re-writing notes now. If you are still revising notes, supplement it by practising past paper questions like me.

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2016, 04:54:17 pm »

Yes, definitely. By rewriting notes you can learn them better through muscle memory as well as learn where you know a lot of information and where you don't. You can also begin to summarise your notes and remember content from last year. It's a great way to consolidate the information you may not know perfectly or the stuff out really want to get right.

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2016, 04:57:28 pm »

I definitely don't think you should be re-writing notes now. If you are still revising notes, supplement it by practising past paper questions like me.

It's fine to rewrite notes now, we still have 2 weeks till the biology exam as the HSC isn't a one week set of exams it take up to 4 weeks. If you feel like you want to consolidate your information a little further then you can rewrite notes but summarise. Even if it's just the stuff you don't know quite yet it's still a good way to review.

Not to say that past papers aren't good for study, they are, but some people need that extra bit of work before they can get stuck into their work.

Also it is best to hand write these new summary notes as you will remember it better if you write it by hand

lha

• Trendsetter
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2016, 05:02:58 pm »
It's fine to rewrite notes now, we still have 2 weeks till the biology exam as the HSC isn't a one week set of exams it take up to 4 weeks. If you feel like you want to consolidate your information a little further then you can rewrite notes but summarise. Even if it's just the stuff you don't know quite yet it's still a good way to review.

Not to say that past papers aren't good for study, they are, but some people need that extra bit of work before they can get stuck into their work.

Also it is best to hand write these new summary notes as you will remember it better if you write it by hand

Alright thank you! I procrastinated way too much during the year and as a result am entirely not prepared for the hsc so i guess whatever happens, happens. But thanks for the help!

lha

• Trendsetter
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2016, 05:03:47 pm »

Alright, thank you!

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2016, 05:05:56 pm »

Alright thank you! I procrastinated way too much during the year and as a result am entirely not prepared for the hsc so i guess whatever happens, happens. But thanks for the help!

I get that procrastination happens (trust me I did my last 2 bio assessments (that weren't trials) in 2 days before they were due and I still topped) but what matters now is putting in heaps of effort to get the best mark possible, that includes asking for help like on these forums

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2016, 05:06:37 pm »
For HSC the method just needs to describe the steps carried out in the experiment, it should have specific steps/instructions into how it should be carried out and what needs to happen there aren't any really critical factors other than making sure the experiment is reasonable and could be carried out in a laboratory of school standard (so not being something that isn't possible if done by a school like using the Large Hadron Collider)

I disagree. The HSC syllabus really clearly sets out some critical things they expect you to cover when designing an experiment. It's not simply enough to design an experiment that can be performed with x materials; you're being tested on whether or not you can design a good experiment. I was asking about what those factors are that make an experiment workable.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

lha

• Trendsetter
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2016, 05:09:18 pm »
I get that procrastination happens (trust me I did my last 2 bio assessments (that weren't trials) in 2 days before they were due and I still topped) but what matters now is putting in heaps of effort to get the best mark possible, that includes asking for help like on these forums

Thats true, well goodluck!

Zaynab

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Birrong Girls High School
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2016, 11:22:30 pm »
Essentials in regards to an experiment? Usually BOS get an experiment question about plants, etc. How can I, under 10 minutes figure out a procedure??

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2016, 11:25:16 pm »
Essentials in regards to an experiment? Usually BOS get an experiment question about plants, etc. How can I, under 10 minutes figure out a procedure??
That will depend on the question being asked, with pracs it is usually related to one of the Dot points in the syllabus so the method would be very similar to an experiment you've probably already done in class. If you haven't done an experiment like the one given in class then make one up that seems appropriate and can test what is being asked of you.

Hope this helps

Zaynab

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Birrong Girls High School
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2016, 09:46:24 am »
What are some key scientific words that should be used consistently in short answers/long responses