Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:55:48 pm

Author Topic: HSC Class of 2018 Discussion Thread  (Read 14670 times)  Share 

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
  • She believed she could, so she did.
  • Respect: +7
Re: HSC Class of 2018 Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 05:40:55 pm »
Okay so I'm currently in a predicament and I need help with uni options!
I'm currently studying:
- Standard English
- 2U Maths
- Business Studies
- Chemistry
- SOR 1
- completed Hospo
- dropped 3U Maths.

I'd like to do a double degree in uni: engineering/business. BUT 3U maths is required, could I still complete a bridge course of 3U maths and retain my initial choice?
Any response would be greatly appreciated !!!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 05:48:23 pm »
+1
I'm currently studying:
- Standard English
- 2U Maths
- Business Studies
- Chemistry
- SOR 1
- completed Hospo
- dropped 3U Maths.

I'd like to do a double degree in uni: engineering/business. BUT 3U maths is required, could I still complete a bridge course of 3U maths and retain my initial choice?
Im pretty sure that the uni will offer a 3U bridging course so you can enter the degree.
You should also strive to do the best in 2U. The better the 2U mark, the easier the 3U bridging course should be IMO
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 05:51:24 pm »
+2
I'm currently studying:
- Standard English
- 2U Maths
- Business Studies
- Chemistry
- SOR 1
- completed Hospo
- dropped 3U Maths.

Hey fellow aspiring engineer!
I'm also interested in doing engineering. Yes, it says 3U maths is needed but remember, those aren't prerequisites. It's just a guide as to what you should know if you want to do engineering. That being said, you can still do engineering even though you do 2U maths- they're gonna reteach 3U (and possibly 4U math depending on what field of engineering) in the first year since most universities have a flexi-first year program. I have a friend who did 2U maths (and did well in 2U maths)- although he said it was a bit of a struggle for him to keep up, in the end he still did well in engineering. In fact, he's currently doing electrical engineering at UNSW and since he needed to do 4U math in the course, they taught the content at uni.

So no need to worry about forcing yourself to do 3U math. Although it would be good to do 3U, it's not compulsory and you can certainly do well in engineering when you're in uni without doing 3U math.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 06:28:02 pm »
+3
Just adding that you'll be totally fine heading straight into Engineering having only done 2U, Calculus is the thing you really need to have learned to be comfortable ;D

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 08:05:54 pm »
Hey!

I recently handed in a leave form at work to take leave for the HSC exams. However, I realised that I would probably need to take more leave for Half Yearly's and Trials. I am thinking of suspending my employment from just before Trials till the end of HSC.

Do you think it is a good idea?

Thanks,
Emily
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 08:19:36 pm »
Hey!

I recently handed in a leave form at work to take leave for the HSC exams. However, I realised that I would probably need to take more leave for Half Yearly's and Trials. I am thinking of suspending my employment from just before Trials till the end of HSC.

Do you think it is a good idea?

Thanks,
Emily

Hey Emily! I personally wouldn't stop working entirely - Perhaps negotiate reduced working hours when you need them, apply for leave in the HSC period when you really need it? Ultimately, communicate with your boss - I can't imagine a situation where they'd prefer spending money on recruitment and training, over just being flexible (within reason) for their employee ;D

You can't do nothing but study between Trials and the HSC - You'll go nuts! For me, work provided a nice break from the desk (until I did ditch it and take time to study for about a month before and during the exams) - The whole 2.5 months though? Probably unnecessary imo :)

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 12:47:32 am »
Hi,  I just realised that making my own study notes for my subjects (mainly the sciences)  is the best way for me to remember stuff...  However I started only recently....  Do I have enough time to cover everything given that I do it consistently? I really want that band 6 bad enough (I tried using whatever provided and do questions, doesn't work)
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 11:56:47 am »
+2
Hi,  I just realised that making my own study notes for my subjects (mainly the sciences)  is the best way for me to remember stuff...  However I started only recently....  Do I have enough time to cover everything given that I do it consistently? I really want that band 6 bad enough (I tried using whatever provided and do questions, doesn't work)
Hey there!
I would say it's worth putting the time to make study notes because summaries make it easy for you when studying. However, the difficult part is maintaining consistency. I would suggest setting a time over the weekend to make study notes- maybe 3 hours every Sunday to work on this. You need to keep in mind that you need to balance study notes and practice questions because both are equally important.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:37:41 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 12:24:34 pm »
+2

Hi! I was exactly the same as you during the HSC :) I learnt way better with having a set of notes in front of me. And no way, it's not too late at all! You still have months and that's plenty of time to create a set of notes. I used to make mine consistently throughout the year and progressively build up on them. After school, I'd type out the notes for the classes I had that day and it usually would take 10-20 minutes tops for each subject, depending on how much I learnt that day. Since you're starting your notes later, maybe dedicate a bit of your weekend to catching up on the notes you missed, and dedicating the weekdays to notes for the concepts you're currently learning.

And I definitely agree with owidjaja that you need to balance your study notes with practice questions! Study notes aren't that effective if you're not putting the knowledge you learn to practice :D
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 01:22:41 pm »
+2
Hey there! I think that if you feel that this works for you, then you should stick with it! Everyone has a different style, so it doesn’t matter if some ways of studying aren’t effective for you. I agree with what’s been said above - there’s heaps of time still to make your notes, so don’t be concerned about time constraints!

Personally, I wrote my notes as I learnt new content, but constantly summarised them before assessments, which was also a more helpful way for me to practice answering questions 😊
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

Ophelia_

• Adventurer
  • Wishing to skip HSC and get to Uni -.-
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 10:08:02 pm »
Hey guys!
So I want to get into Nursing at UTS and I checked the 2017 ATAR cut-offs and it was 84.25 at UTS, but considering that the cut-offs increase, I get really nervous thinking if i'm gonna even get an ATAR of 80+.

For HSC, I'm doing the subjects:
English (Standard)
General Maths 2
Society and Culture
Biology
Senior Science
Studies of Religion 1U

Is it possible to get an ATAR of 80+ with my subjects? Apparently Senior Science is a low-scalling subject though.  :-\
HSC 2018: Senior Science || Biology || Gen Maths 2 || Standard English || Society and Culture || Studies of Religion 1U

ATAR Goal: 80+ (BS Nursing)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:08 pm »
Hey guys!
So I want to get into Nursing at UTS and I checked the 2017 ATAR cut-offs and it was 84.25 at UTS, but considering that the cut-offs increase, I get really nervous thinking if i'm gonna even get an ATAR of 80+.

English (Standard)
General Maths 2
Society and Culture
Biology
Senior Science
Studies of Religion 1U

Is it possible to get an ATAR of 80+ with my subjects? Apparently Senior Science is a low-scalling subject though.  :-\

Hey! I could bust out detailed explanations and stuff, but all I'll say is that you can get any ATAR with any course configuration. You can get 99.95 with your subjects - You might just need some higher marks to achieve it than someone who does a "higher scaling" subject. But if you've picked courses you enjoy, that will balance, because you do better and work harder in stuff you enjoy and find rewarding ;D be positive! Your goal is well within reach :)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 10:45:32 pm »
Hey guys!

English (Standard)
General Maths 2
Society and Culture
Biology
Senior Science
Studies of Religion 1U

I 100% agree with jamon on this. Although you are doing some subjects that would scale lower than others, that doesn't mean squat when it comes to your level of effort. It is absolutely possible for you to get a 99.95 ATAR with your subjects, as long as you put in the effort to get those high marks. If you put in enough effort then you can definitely will be able to get the ATAR you wanted!

Here I have used a reverse ATAR calculator (using 2017 scaling) to determine the hsc marks you will (roughly, don't rely on this 100%) need for a 85 ATAR. As you can see, these marks are easily achievable even if you don't think its possible!
Good luck!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

JaredMayo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:51 am »
hey all, im half way through the hsc nearly, as you guys would know... i just wanted to ask im going well in other subjects e.g. 2nd overall in chem 1st in physics but i am 30/34 in SOR 2U and dropping to general maths is there anyway i can turn this around by the hsc to a ATAR over 85?

username2000

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 11:51:06 am »
Hey guys i was just wondering if anyone has been granted disability provisions and what you gain from it?
not sure exactly what you mean but some people at our school can get extra time for exams and a reader to help for reading the questions. you need to do paperwork in advance and can only get it if you genuinly need it.