Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 10, 2024, 11:08:19 am

Author Topic: Why do people vote for labor?  (Read 3812 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Why do people vote for labor?
« on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:22 pm »
Genuinely curious. All we really hear about in the media is things that make me hate labor (e.g. refugee policies) or good things, but the greens is already supporting it (e.g. gay marriage).

Is there policies that I don’t know about or don’t have to worry about because I’m a kid? Is it just because they’ve always voted labor?

Edit: Spelling
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:10:42 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
Re: Why do people vote for labor?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 10:17:34 pm »
+6
Check their policies in comparison to liberal and you'll see why people vote for them.

Liberal favours high income earners and Labor lower income earners generally speaking.

Liberal party is also more conservative
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 10:21:29 pm »
Sorry I wasn’t very clear, I meant why do people vote for labor rather than greens.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 10:23:50 pm »
+2
Sorry I wasn’t very clear, I meant why do people vote for labor rather than greens.

Fundamental differences between the two. Labor is meme centre left.

Also there's a perception that voting for s political party that's not one of the major two parties is the same as throwing your vote away.

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:31:23 pm »
+6
Labor and Liberal while they are left wing and right wing respectably, they are both central. They sit very close to either side of the central ppint on the political spectrum. The greens are far more left wing than labor are
And while i am definietely left wing, the greens represent a wider degre of left wing politics and its not always ideal given our current situation. Like it sounds nice in a utopian world, but its not where we are; so staying more towards the center is probably why more people vote for them.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 10:32:38 pm »
+1
Because the greens are considered "too crazy" and too "idealistic".

One such policy is... :
- Abolition of the World Trade Organisation, International Monetary Fund and World Bank unless they can be democratised
(which is totally crazy as they all do great work ... the world bank helps poor nations)

The greens are too far left (and I'm left winged)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:34:20 pm by EEEEEEP »

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 10:35:03 pm »
Because the greens are considered "too crazy" and too "idealistic".

One such policy is... :
- Abolition of the World Trade Organisation, International Monetary Fund and World Bank unless they can be democratised

(which is totally crazy as they all do great wirk... the world bank helps poor nations)

That's what they say but even if they were voted in I doubt they would pursue something like that in practice they're not that stupid.

Maybe being right wing myself I'm a bit biased but I think even the greens can see the economic ramifications it may have if those institutions are abolished.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:38:46 pm »
In the ideal situation, the greens policies sound great, but they're not always viable given our current real world context
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 11:21:21 pm »
+8
Unachievable policies are not a sign of political incompetence - they are demonstrating party values and beliefs to the voting populace and help us have an informed and hopefully more representative democracy.

As mentioned, people vote Labor because they feel that Labor best represents their views and values compared to the LNC or the Greens. For example, a good portion of (probably racist) people are passionate about the terrible treatment of refugees but still broadly support Labor values (worker’s rights and so on)... so why would those people vote Greens? The Greens do not best represent the individual views and values of those people, who as mentioned, are centre left on the political spectrum instead of far left.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 09:30:27 pm »
+2
Also, the Greens have done a number of things lately (eg Lee Rhiannon, preferencing Libs) that have made many longstanding Greens supporters unhappy. The direction Di Natale is taking them in is not the direction every previous supporters wants them to go in. Labor has come out with a few surprisingly good policies lately (eg the franked dividends). So, you know, it's a constantly shifting game.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 12:09:52 am »
+5
As young people the policy output of labor is applicable more than ever. On a state level you see the government dramatically overhaul the legislation around renting, empowering renters to have some control over their circumstances (a landlord can’t tell you not to have a pet anymore yay!).
At the federal level, labor has announced some fairly ambitious tax policies that are designed redistribute wealth from the wealth (older people) to the less wealthy (younger people), and also apply negative pressure on housing prices (again good for young people). It’s worth noting that the Greens have opposed some of these policies.

There are very good reasons to vote Greens and not Labor. Most of these centre on the fact that the Greens are far more progressive as far as refugee policy is concerned and as far as climate change is concerned. You may not agree with their policies in these areas, but many will be attracted, in particular, to a party that opposes mandatory detention and off-shore processing, which is a particular sticking point.

The argument that the Greens are too radical also holds some currency. We saw the example about the WTO, for instance, which is genuinely moronic policy, and not actually unlike Brexit in its conception interestingly.
It’s also worth noting that up until recently the Greens was an anti-Vax party. The founder of the Greens (Bob Brown), and its leader up until about 2011-2012ish from memory, allowed an anti-vaccination organisation to use his office pro bono to coordinate its opposition to a policy of mandatory vaccination at the federal level. It was actually this organisation that succeeded in having conscientious objection inserted into the law, something which Dr Brown (yeah it gets better, he was a GP too!!) publicly supported.
Some of the most evocative motifs in politics are cancer patients and children... and it’s not even an exaggeration to say that the Greens, in our life time, supported a policy that contributed to their death.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 12:19:49 am »
That renting legislation was complete bogus. As a landlord it left a sore spot for me and I'm ensuring I will never vote labor as long as I live.

Not that the liberals are any better mind you.

Just seeing the above reminded me of fhe recent changes to renting legislation, everyone believes landlords have it easy when it's one of the hardest and most stressful jobs in the world.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:35:13 am »
+8
That renting legislation was complete bogus. As a landlord it left a sore spot for me and I'm ensuring I will never vote labor as long as I live.

Just seeing the above reminded me of fhe recent changes to renting legislation, everyone believes landlords have it easy when it's one of the hardest and most stressful jobs in the world.

k den
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 09:06:38 am »
+4

Why does a single sore spot for you mean you'd never vote for a party again?  Every party will do some things that harm you directly (even if that means they benefit others far more than they harm you, of course).  And no party is perfect anyway.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:52 am »
With all due respect,
I would prefer if this was called: why would anyone vote liberal

Out of curiosity, don't they only serve the wealthy minority? So why do they win the vote of the majority?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:11:22 am by TheAspiringDoc »