Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:01:30 am

Author Topic: General Footy Tipping and Discussion Thread  (Read 265305 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: ATAR Notes Footy Tipping and Discussion
« Reply #435 on: April 21, 2017, 10:26:35 pm »
Oh dear... @ Carlton

Watching that reminded me of Melbourne 2012-13.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #436 on: April 21, 2017, 10:28:44 pm »
Watching that reminded me of Melbourne 2012-13.

They didn't score ONCE during the third. 90 pts is a big belting.

I feel sorry for them.

Edit: LOL my margin for this week is going to be massive. I predicted a win by only 25. Why did I do that  :-[

pls NM win against Fremantle tomorrow night.... if they lose I will lose all hope
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:38:20 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #437 on: April 22, 2017, 10:47:31 pm »
+1
*SIGH*

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #438 on: April 23, 2017, 12:03:52 am »
+1
*SIGH*
Feeling pretty bad for you, that would have been tough. Lead literally the whole game and gave away two cheap goals in the last 90 seconds. Darn.

Well this is literally the opposite of last season. First half was excellent second half was poor. Hoping for your sake it turns out the opposite this season, poor first half and strong second half :). Losing all those experienced players certainly didn't help, hmm Brad Scott :(
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #439 on: April 23, 2017, 12:08:44 am »
+1
Feeling pretty bad for you, that would have been tough. Lead literally the whole game and gave away two cheap goals in the last 90 seconds. Darn.

Well this is literally the opposite of last season. First half was excellent second half was poor. Hoping for your sake it turns out the opposite this season, poor first half and strong second half :). Losing all those experienced players certainly didn't help, hmm Brad Scott :(

You have no idea how frustrating it is to watch the matches every week. To give us hope every week and get in front, then just drop off and let opposition walk all over us. It's cruel how we're losing by less than a kick nearly every week. The potential is there but running out of legs after half time.

If we lost by say 3+ goals, i'd say yeah okay fair enough but to lose by less than a goal......... THREE TIMES THIS SEASON. It's so shit.

I know I should be somewhat happy, given that a lot of people wrote us off and said we'd get smashed every match, given the player turnover.. that aspect we're proving people wrong, but we have nothing to show for it.. it's still 0-5 whatever way you look at it. Sad.

IMO I think it was the right call to move them on.. regardless of our interesting start to 2017.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:13:45 am by Aaron »

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #440 on: April 23, 2017, 05:19:57 pm »
It kinda feels like NM have forgotten how to win a game. They way they are giving away their hard earned and what should be winning leads is unbelievable. They are just breaking under pressure, poor mental strength.

It's been three times so I hope they can learn from potentially three mistakes and never lose a close one again. IMO top 4 teams will win 75-80% of all close games. They have won none so far and if they are going to be a team to beat this season they will prove it by not losing a single close game again for the rest of the season. Three failures on the trot should convert into perfection.

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: April 25, 2017, 09:32:58 am »
+1
Obligatory "I hate football" post for the week.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #442 on: April 25, 2017, 12:57:09 pm »
+1
If we lose today 100% Bucks will be sacked mid-season I reckon.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: April 25, 2017, 12:59:38 pm »
If we lose today 100% Bucks will be sacked mid-season I reckon.

What are your thoughts on Buckley? I actually quite him like as a coach (from an outsider's perspective, obviously).

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #444 on: April 25, 2017, 01:23:09 pm »
+1
What are your thoughts on Buckley? I actually quite him like as a coach (from an outsider's perspective, obviously).
He was given a side that had been in two consecutive grand finals (three if you count the draw) and had won one premiership prior to his season. And all we've seen is our side going down. It felt as if Malthouse (our previous coach who was there for ten years) had spent ten whole years building a house from scratch. And in 2011 he finally got there, built that perfect, unbreakable house, that was ready for any challenge. He handed it over to Buckley and the last six years he has destroyed this house bit by bit. We have gone so downhill because of him.

Most new coaches are given teams that are going through a rebuild and have to start from scratch. We gave him such a good team but he has done nothing but fail. Chris Scott similarly was given a really good side to start with (transition from Thompson - Scott) and he won a premiership in his first season. And since then they have never really looked bad, have made finals every season but one.

Just from all that you can see that Buckley just isn't good. Not only are his game plans so weak but I feel as if he has really ruined the culture of the club. I feel as if the players play for someone they dislike. And if a group of individuals are led by someone they dislike that group can never prosper.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #445 on: April 25, 2017, 01:30:26 pm »
+1
He was given a side that had been in two consecutive grand finals (three if you count the draw) and had won one premiership prior to his season. And all we've seen is our side going down. It felt as if Malthouse (our previous coach who was there for ten years) had spent ten whole years building a house from scratch. And in 2011 he finally got there, built that perfect, unbreakable house, that was ready for any challenge. He handed it over to Buckley and the last six years he has destroyed this house bit by bit. We have gone so downhill because of him.

Most new coaches are given teams that are going through a rebuild and have to start from scratch. We gave him such a good team but he has done nothing but fail. Chris Scott similarly was given a really good side to start with (transition from Thompson - Scott) and he won a premiership in his first season. And since then they have never really looked bad, have made finals every season but one.

Just from all that you can see that Buckley just isn't good. Not only are his game plans so weak but I feel as if he has really ruined the culture of the club. I feel as if the players play for someone they dislike. And if a group of individuals are led by someone they dislike that group can never prosper.

Good post.

It's interesting, though. After 2010, a lot of people expected Collingwood to be challenging for the next 5+ years, what with the (young) age demographic of its premiership list. But I'm not sure I disagree with too many of Buckley's list management decisions (prior to this year, at least - Mayne and Wells seem strange acquisitions).

Perhaps it is a culture thing.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #446 on: April 25, 2017, 01:38:19 pm »
Quote from: Joseph41
Mayne and Wells seem strange acquisitions

Better them than us. Oh, and how about Marley Williams? Pretty nice addition for basically nothing from the Pies :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:41:16 pm by Aaron »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: April 25, 2017, 01:42:27 pm »
Better them than us. Oh, and how about Marley Williams? Pretty nice addition for basically nothing from the Pies :P

I was really surprised with the Williams trade at the time. North definitely got him for way under his value IMO. I rate him.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #448 on: April 25, 2017, 01:50:57 pm »
Wells was/is a massive risk for Collingwood. Paying him that much over his contract when they clearly knew he has had significant injuries in the past. He isn't getting any younger either.

Quote from: Joseph41
I was really surprised with the Williams trade at the time. North definitely got him for way under his value IMO. I rate him.
I didn't rate him at first - my initial reaction was "great another bogan".. but he has turned out to be quite a good defender so far. Will turn out to be a good permanent replacement for Firrito.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:03:23 pm by Aaron »

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #449 on: April 25, 2017, 02:47:41 pm »
+1
Marley Williams had a shocker of a season last year. He was pretty good before but played terribly last year. It felt as if he was lost and if we had have kept him I reckon he would have had a similar season. So the move was necessary. We got nothing for him because of his season, it was terrible.

Again, I reckon culture problems at the club. A player can only play well if he is in a good niche.