Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:39:21 pm

Author Topic: Free SOR Essay Marking!  (Read 77019 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Free SOR Essay Marking!
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2017, 06:22:48 pm »
Thanks heaps for this! I have tried taking your advice and made a new paragraph below (and changed my introduction a little) trying to link A'isha and Hajj. Any advice or extra quotes I can add would be greatly appreciated because my teacher loves quotes and I find it really difficult to find quotes relating to what i'm saying.

Thanks again :)

Cool! I like your new introduction - I think it addresses the question just a little bit better ;D

Ditto with your new paragraph - The links are more explicit. You connect the Hadiths to modern Muslim understanding of the faith at the start, and did similar things for Hajj. Definitely on the right track! My issue would be, if you are going to use paragraphs like this, how will you structure it? Will you do one for A'isha/Hajj, one for Hajj/Bioethics, one for Bioethics/A'isha? Further, be sure that you include Hajj in your topic sentence if it will play a primary role!

Also, I am struggling with my analysis on how bioethics relates to Qadr. I can see how they could connect but I'm not sure how to word.

I didn't do Bioethics, so my usefulness here will be limited, buuut I'd imagine you'd link it to the idea of Islamic jurisprudence. Many Islamic bioethical issues do not have a direct answer in any Qur'an or Hadith passages, so, it becomes the role of the adherent to apply their free will (Qadr) to interpret the opinions of Islamic scholars and of general Islamic ethical principles (supremacy of life, purification of the soul) for their actions :)

btw I couldn't find your notes on A'isha

Oh really? I'll try and find em! :)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »
Cool! I like your new introduction - I think it addresses the question just a little bit better ;D

Ditto with your new paragraph - The links are more explicit. You connect the Hadiths to modern Muslim understanding of the faith at the start, and did similar things for Hajj. Definitely on the right track! My issue would be, if you are going to use paragraphs like this, how will you structure it? Will you do one for A'isha/Hajj, one for Hajj/Bioethics, one for Bioethics/A'isha? Further, be sure that you include Hajj in your topic sentence if it will play a primary role!

I didn't do Bioethics, so my usefulness here will be limited, buuut I'd imagine you'd link it to the idea of Islamic jurisprudence. Many Islamic bioethical issues do not have a direct answer in any Qur'an or Hadith passages, so, it becomes the role of the adherent to apply their free will (Qadr) to interpret the opinions of Islamic scholars and of general Islamic ethical principles (supremacy of life, purification of the soul) for their actions :)

Oh really? I'll try and find em! :)

Thanks for all your help so far. Has been greatly appreciated. Usefulness was at a premium for bioethics even though you had not studied it. My structure is Aisha/Hajj, Aisha/bioethics, Hajj/bioethics. Although because we haven't been taught any beliefs in year 12 I don't know what beliefs I can link. If you have any or have any prelim notes on the beliefs I should be able to find a way to make a solid paragraph.

This is my second paragraph as well. Good/bad? Any suggestions?

Spoiler
Aisha and bioethics have played a similar role in the contribution to Islam as a living religious tradition. Due to Aisha’s vast knowledge of Islam and the prophet’s teachings, she was often called upon to act as an interpreter of the Qur’an to apply to situations from which other disagreements arose. As a result, she became an authority figure in Islam, preserving the texts and contributing interpretations that allowed the faith to be further developed after Muhammad’s death. “Modesty does not prevent them (adherents) from learning about their religion.” This directly relates to the Islamic principle belief known as Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence).  Bioethics similarly allow adherents to gain greater understanding of their belief in Fiqh. Many Islamic bioethical issues do not have a direct answer in any Qur'an or Hadith passages, so, it becomes the role of the adherent to apply their free will (Qadr) to interpret the opinions of Islamic scholars and of general Islamic ethical principles (supremacy of life, purification of the soul) for their actions. For example, although abortion is seen as morally wrong in accordance with the sanctity of life, there are no explicit rules that outlaw abortion. This is where the Fiqh principle is applied to the lesser of two evils whereby if having the baby puts the mother’s health/life at risk, the abortion is permitted. Thus, it is clear how Aisha’s knowledge and interpretations and Islamic principles of bioethics are applied in relevant ways to contribute to Islam as a living religious tradition

Okay so I've finished my essay and now need to remember it by tomorrow. Any tips on how to do so or final pointers on my essay would be of great value.

Spoiler
Religion is an active and living tradition when it enables adherents to connect to their beliefs in day to day life. This notion is expressed throughout Islam as it is comprised of various interrelated aspects evident in the diagram provided. Through the contribution of influential individuals, impacts of core ethical teachings and rituals such as A’isha Bint Abu Bakr, bioethics and Hajj; a basis is provided for adherent’s to connect to their beliefs in everyday life thus contributing to Islam as an active and living religious tradition.

Aisha Bint Abu Bakr and Hajj are of primary importance in the contribution to Islam as a living religious tradition.  Aisha was well educated in the Sunnah and Qur’an due to Muhammad’s guidance in her education and is a major source of the Hadith, reportedly contributing 2000 of the prophet’s sayings as well as two contributions to the Qur’an as a result of her experiences. Many of the Hadiths she contributed, connected Muslims to an understanding of their faith and guided them to how to live by Allah’s will, such as their belief in Tawhid (the oneness and submission to Allah). "Glory be to Thee, O Allah," and "Praise be to Thee" and "Blessed is Thy name, and Exalted is Thy greatness, and there is no god but Allah." This submission is further epitomised through the undertaking of the Hajj, in which the pilgrims must display sacrifice and commitment in order to truly submit to the will of Allah. This commitment is reflected through attaining a special state of purity called Ihram. In the state of Ihram, adherents wear white garments (also called Ihram) symbolising equality and unity between each of the pilgrims; “…one should not be able to tell a prince from a pauper.”  Muslims are therefore connected to the true essence of their belief in Tawhid, committing Muslims to living an Islamic life and subsequently contributing to Islam as an active and living religious tradition.

Aisha and bioethics have played a similar role in the contribution to Islam as a living religious tradition. Due to Aisha’s vast knowledge of Islam and the prophet’s teachings, she was often called upon to act as an interpreter of the Qur’an to apply to situations from which other disagreements arose. As a result, she became an authority figure in Islam, preserving the texts and contributing interpretations that allowed the faith to be further developed after Muhammad’s death. “Modesty does not prevent them (adherents) from learning about their religion.” This directly relates to the Islamic principle belief known as Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence).  Bioethics similarly allow adherents to gain greater understanding of their belief in Fiqh. Many Islamic bioethical issues do not have a direct answer in any Qur'an or Hadith passages, so, it becomes the role of the adherent to apply their free will (Qadr) to interpret the opinions of Islamic scholars and of general Islamic ethical principles (supremacy of life, purification of the soul) for their actions. For example, although abortion is seen as morally wrong in accordance with the sanctity of life, there are no explicit rules that outlaw abortion. This is where the Fiqh principle is applied to the lesser of two evils whereby if having the baby puts the mother’s health/life at risk, the abortion is permitted. Thus, it is clear how Aisha’s knowledge and interpretations, and Islamic principles of bioethics are applied in relevant ways to contribute to Islam as a living religious tradition

Bioethics and Hajj have great significance in the contribution to Islam as a living religious tradition. Islamic bioethics are derived from two main sources: The Shari’ah and moral principles. The Shari’ah classifies all actions from required (fard) to prohibited (haram). Moral principles are derived from the Qur’an and Sunnah as laid down by the hadith. These sources allow adherents to gain greater knowledge in their belief in Akhira (day of judgement) and connect with the teachings of Allah. Muslims believe each adherent has two angels which record their good and evil deeds throughout life. As euthanasia is haram (“To Allah belongs the Kingdom of the heavens and Earth. He creates what he pleases”) adherents that euthanise patients (who aren’t already in a vegetative state) by discontinuing their life support or administering drugs which result in the hastening of death may be seen as evil and go to jananham (hell). Similarly, the Qur’an states “pilgrimage to the House (Hajj) is a duty unto Allah for mankind” so long as they are physically and economically eligible to do so. Hajj is seen to have a spiritual merit that provides Muslims with an opportunity of self-renewal and serves as a reminder of Akhira and the day of judgement. As Hajj is obligatory, adherents who choose not to complete this important ritual may be rejected from entering Jannah (paradise). Thus it is clear how Bioethics and Hajj play a significant role in connecting Muslims to their belief in Akhira and how it compels adherents to live an Islamic life and hence contributing to Islam as a living religious tradition.

Through the the contributions of A’sha Bint Abu Bakr, and the ongoing significance of bioethics and Hajj, it is clear that Islam provides adherents with core ethical teachings, rituals and theological works that guide their everyday actions, and enables them to connect with their spirituality and beliefs. Therefore, it is evident that Islam is a highly dynamic and living religious tradition, as it enables adherents to connect to their beliefs in day to day life.

Mod Edit: Added spoilers, post merge :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:37:40 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2017, 11:38:57 pm »
Sorry 12070, the forums got really busy tonight - Needed to devote the time to the people who I hadn't helped at all yet, have to be fair :) but I think your essay looks good, definitely an improvement on the previous draft, so well done! Good luck with your exam! ;D

• Trendsetter
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2017, 12:01:19 pm »
Sorry 12070, the forums got really busy tonight - Needed to devote the time to the people who I hadn't helped at all yet, have to be fair :) but I think your essay looks good, definitely an improvement on the previous draft, so well done! Good luck with your exam! ;D

Yeah I completely understand. I basically remembered it word for word so I'm hoping for around 17. Hopefully a total of 40+/50 to continue my streak of not dropping past 80% in year 12. Anyway, thanks for all the help; it was greatly appreciated. Time for economics  :'(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2017, 12:20:07 pm »

Yeah I completely understand. I basically remembered it word for word so I'm hoping for around 17. Hopefully a total of 40+/50 to continue my streak of not dropping past 80% in year 12. Anyway, thanks for all the help; it was greatly appreciated. Time for economics  :'(

Great to hear! Fingers crossed for you, best of luck for the rest of your exams! ☺

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2017, 09:38:02 pm »
Hi
Could you please mark my essay for me,
* “The significant people and schools of thought in Buddhism that have the most impact are those that challenge adherents to follow Buddhist teachings more closely.”
* How accurate is this statement in relation to ONE significant person or school of thought, other than the Buddha?

Hey! Absolutely - Didn't study Buddhism though so take my feedback for what it is worth! :)

Essay with Feedback in BOLD
The most important people and schools of thought in Buddhism are those that challenge adherents to follow Buddhist teachings more closely, such as the XIVth Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyataso. It is a restatement of the question, but there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that. If you wanted to elevate, try adding some new spin/element to this idea. He is an internationally recognised figure as well as being the religious and political leader of Tibetan Buddhism. His tremendous impact to challenge Buddhists to follow the teachings more closely can be seen in the way he has contributed to both the development and expression of Buddhism. This is reinforced through the principle beliefs of Buddhism, the way he has promoted messages of peace, environmental ethics and modernized Buddhist teachings. Great introduction! Simple, answers the question, can't ask for more :)

The Dalai Lama reinforces the principle beliefs of Buddhism such as the five precepts, the four noble truths and the three jewels, which emphasize the best ways to attain nirvana and lead a skillful life so as to avoid samsara. By reinforcing these expressions of Buddhism he has challenged adherents to follow Buddhist teachings more closely such as the five precepts abandoning, killing, stealing, unwise and unkind sexual behavior, lying, and taking intoxicants (alcohol, recreational drugs, and misuse of prescription medicines). Something about those two sentences seems a little off syntax wise -
 It could be worth splitting them into three sentences to make it a little clearer. Besides that, nicely done!
. The four noble truths are the foundation of Buddha’s teaching and they unite the different schools of Buddhism and their differing practices, as the Dalai Lama stated, “the four noble truths, the ultimate method to overcome ignorance is wisdom understanding reality.” The four noble truths include suffering (dukka), craving (Samudāya), the cessation of suffering (Nirodha) and the Noble Eightfold Path (enlightenment). Try not to go too much into the details of the ethics and beliefs of Buddhism - Keep the focus on the impact of the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama also emphasises the three jewels, “Three Jewels of refuge… because if we understand what they are, it becomes easier to have faith or confidence and trust in them”, suggesting the significance and great importance of the three jewels in order to challenge adherents to follow Buddhist teachings more closely. Perhaps a little too much description of Buddhism as a religion, over how the Dalai Lama has impacted on it. Try and be specific with the impact of the significant person, what actual tangible ways is the modern adherent impacted?

The ultimate goal of Buddhism is peace, not only peace in this world but peace in all worlds, the Dalai Lama is an accurate representation of peace through his works such as the five-point peace plan as well as his recognitions, the Noble peace prize, 1989. How does this relate to challenging adherents to follow teachings? Be sure to keep the focus on the question. Within his Five Point Peace Plan, he proclaimed that, “…lasting peace can only be achieved if we think in terms of broader interest rather than parochial needs.” Nice inclusion of quotes. This is significant, because it demonstrates the Dalai Lama’s value of peace as it prevents the occurrence of war breaking out between the much more powerful China and Tibet, and allows him to focus on solidifying the peace between the two nations through his efforts to challenge adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. Which teaching is being followed more closely? Try to be as specific as possible when you are responding to the question. Don't leave doubt that you deserve the marks. The Buddha, much similar to the Dalai Lama, emphasises that the first step on the path to peace is understanding the causality of peace, hence, when we understand what causes peace, we know where to direct our efforts, this is seen through verse 5 of the Dhammapada which states, "Hatred is never appeased by hatred. Hatred is only appeased by Love” which reinforces the extreme importance Buddhism shows towards peace and love. Does this directly relate to your significant person's work? Thus through the Dalai Lama’s efforts to attain peace in the world as well as his world- wide recognition as the recipient of the 1989 noble peace prize which encourages adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. Another good paragraph, but I feel you are still being a little vague - Lots of room to really hone in on the question and hammer it home.

The Dalai Lama’s rhetoric and speeches have assisted in shaping Buddhists approaches and philosophy to modern ethical and environmental issues through applying the principles of the five precepts and prajna in order to benefit the environment, thus having a significant impact on the religion by enabling it to be dynamic and living. Nice intro! Again though, try and work the question in there - Challenge! The Dalai Lama encourages a thoughtful application of the First Precept: “Our practice of nonviolence applies not just to human beings but to all sentient beings.” While this wisdom is important to Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike, it presents a distinct concern for the future of the environment in regards to every living being, this advocacy allows for Buddhist adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. The First Precept encourages the avoidance of harming living beings, and by encouraging mindfulness in regards to the environment, the Dalai Lama is able to guide the efforts of Buddhists to show concern for the living beings affected by its degradation. Good - This is what I mean about being specific, this is a real, tangible, specific way that the modern adherent has their world view altered/challenged. This would be something, if linked properly, that would score big points. The Dalai Lama reinforces the Sila, the principle of human behavior that promotes orderly and peaceful existence in a community, through his assertion, “Destruction of nature and nature resources results from ignorance, greed and lack of respect for the earth's living things.” Hence allowing Buddhists to mimic it. And challenging them to follow the teaching of Sila more closely. Through the declaration of the management of the environment and the requirement of application of moral virtues such as the eight fold path, “right view, right resolve, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right "samadhi"”. Thus through the direct impact on design and formulation of Buddhist thought on the environment, allowing adherents and non- adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. Nice inclusion of quotes - I'd say this is your strongest paragraph.

Hence, through the the principle beliefs of Buddhism, the way the 14th Dalai Lama has promoted messages of peace, environmental ethics and modernized Buddhist teachings, encourages adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. Try a little beefier conclusion - Fully restate some of the ideas in your Thesis and conclude more completely, if you have time.

Really strong essay here hanaacdr! Lots of quotes (awesome) and a clear knowledge of Buddhism - Excellent work! ;D just be careful to put the detail where it counts - You won't get points for detail in the wrong areas. Put the detail on the Dalai Lama, and how his work impacts on adherents to challenge them to adhere to Buddhism more closely. Don't put so much detail into the teachings themselves or where they come from - That is less relevant and less effective for your purposes :)

Hopefully this feedback helps! If anyone has studied or is studying Buddhism and has feedback for hanaacdr, please feel free to share it ;D

hanaacdr

• Trendsetter
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2017, 10:37:19 am »
Hey! Absolutely - Didn't study Buddhism though so take my feedback for what it is worth! :)

Essay with Feedback in BOLD
The most important people and schools of thought in Buddhism are those that challenge adherents to follow Buddhist teachings more closely, such as the XIVth Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyataso. It is a restatement of the question, but there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that. If you wanted to elevate, try adding some new spin/element to this idea. He is an internationally recognised figure as well as being the religious and political leader of Tibetan Buddhism. His tremendous impact to challenge Buddhists to follow the teachings more closely can be seen in the way he has contributed to both the development and expression of Buddhism. This is reinforced through the principle beliefs of Buddhism, the way he has promoted messages of peace, environmental ethics and modernized Buddhist teachings. Great introduction! Simple, answers the question, can't ask for more :)

The Dalai Lama reinforces the principle beliefs of Buddhism such as the five precepts, the four noble truths and the three jewels, which emphasize the best ways to attain nirvana and lead a skillful life so as to avoid samsara. By reinforcing these expressions of Buddhism he has challenged adherents to follow Buddhist teachings more closely such as the five precepts abandoning, killing, stealing, unwise and unkind sexual behavior, lying, and taking intoxicants (alcohol, recreational drugs, and misuse of prescription medicines). Something about those two sentences seems a little off syntax wise -
 It could be worth splitting them into three sentences to make it a little clearer. Besides that, nicely done!
. The four noble truths are the foundation of Buddha’s teaching and they unite the different schools of Buddhism and their differing practices, as the Dalai Lama stated, “the four noble truths, the ultimate method to overcome ignorance is wisdom understanding reality.” The four noble truths include suffering (dukka), craving (Samudāya), the cessation of suffering (Nirodha) and the Noble Eightfold Path (enlightenment). Try not to go too much into the details of the ethics and beliefs of Buddhism - Keep the focus on the impact of the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama also emphasises the three jewels, “Three Jewels of refuge… because if we understand what they are, it becomes easier to have faith or confidence and trust in them”, suggesting the significance and great importance of the three jewels in order to challenge adherents to follow Buddhist teachings more closely. Perhaps a little too much description of Buddhism as a religion, over how the Dalai Lama has impacted on it. Try and be specific with the impact of the significant person, what actual tangible ways is the modern adherent impacted?

The ultimate goal of Buddhism is peace, not only peace in this world but peace in all worlds, the Dalai Lama is an accurate representation of peace through his works such as the five-point peace plan as well as his recognitions, the Noble peace prize, 1989. How does this relate to challenging adherents to follow teachings? Be sure to keep the focus on the question. Within his Five Point Peace Plan, he proclaimed that, “…lasting peace can only be achieved if we think in terms of broader interest rather than parochial needs.” Nice inclusion of quotes. This is significant, because it demonstrates the Dalai Lama’s value of peace as it prevents the occurrence of war breaking out between the much more powerful China and Tibet, and allows him to focus on solidifying the peace between the two nations through his efforts to challenge adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. Which teaching is being followed more closely? Try to be as specific as possible when you are responding to the question. Don't leave doubt that you deserve the marks. The Buddha, much similar to the Dalai Lama, emphasises that the first step on the path to peace is understanding the causality of peace, hence, when we understand what causes peace, we know where to direct our efforts, this is seen through verse 5 of the Dhammapada which states, "Hatred is never appeased by hatred. Hatred is only appeased by Love” which reinforces the extreme importance Buddhism shows towards peace and love. Does this directly relate to your significant person's work? Thus through the Dalai Lama’s efforts to attain peace in the world as well as his world- wide recognition as the recipient of the 1989 noble peace prize which encourages adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. Another good paragraph, but I feel you are still being a little vague - Lots of room to really hone in on the question and hammer it home.

The Dalai Lama’s rhetoric and speeches have assisted in shaping Buddhists approaches and philosophy to modern ethical and environmental issues through applying the principles of the five precepts and prajna in order to benefit the environment, thus having a significant impact on the religion by enabling it to be dynamic and living. Nice intro! Again though, try and work the question in there - Challenge! The Dalai Lama encourages a thoughtful application of the First Precept: “Our practice of nonviolence applies not just to human beings but to all sentient beings.” While this wisdom is important to Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike, it presents a distinct concern for the future of the environment in regards to every living being, this advocacy allows for Buddhist adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. The First Precept encourages the avoidance of harming living beings, and by encouraging mindfulness in regards to the environment, the Dalai Lama is able to guide the efforts of Buddhists to show concern for the living beings affected by its degradation. Good - This is what I mean about being specific, this is a real, tangible, specific way that the modern adherent has their world view altered/challenged. This would be something, if linked properly, that would score big points. The Dalai Lama reinforces the Sila, the principle of human behavior that promotes orderly and peaceful existence in a community, through his assertion, “Destruction of nature and nature resources results from ignorance, greed and lack of respect for the earth's living things.” Hence allowing Buddhists to mimic it. And challenging them to follow the teaching of Sila more closely. Through the declaration of the management of the environment and the requirement of application of moral virtues such as the eight fold path, “right view, right resolve, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right "samadhi"”. Thus through the direct impact on design and formulation of Buddhist thought on the environment, allowing adherents and non- adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. Nice inclusion of quotes - I'd say this is your strongest paragraph.

Hence, through the the principle beliefs of Buddhism, the way the 14th Dalai Lama has promoted messages of peace, environmental ethics and modernized Buddhist teachings, encourages adherents to follow Buddhism more closely. Try a little beefier conclusion - Fully restate some of the ideas in your Thesis and conclude more completely, if you have time.

Really strong essay here hanaacdr! Lots of quotes (awesome) and a clear knowledge of Buddhism - Excellent work! ;D just be careful to put the detail where it counts - You won't get points for detail in the wrong areas. Put the detail on the Dalai Lama, and how his work impacts on adherents to challenge them to adhere to Buddhism more closely. Don't put so much detail into the teachings themselves or where they come from - That is less relevant and less effective for your purposes :)

Hopefully this feedback helps! If anyone has studied or is studying Buddhism and has feedback for hanaacdr, please feel free to share it ;D

thank you!

MA000000

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2017, 07:29:07 pm »
Hi im new here can you please mark my essay on islamic sexual ethics and please make sure the essay flows.

Thanks in adavance
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:31:06 pm by MA000000 »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »
Hi im new here can you please mark my essay on islamic sexual ethics and please make sure the essay flows.

Thanks in adavance

Hey MA000000! Welcome to the forums! ;D

Thanks for posting your essay! To receive feedback, you need 15 posts on ATAR Notes for every piece you'd like marked. This is just to make sure the markers can keep up, and makes sure we can spend the 30 mins - 1 hour we like to spend giving proper help :) check out the essay marking rules for more details!

So hang around the site for a bit! Ask questions and have a chat - You'll build up the 15 posts really quick, then just let me know when you do! :)

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2017, 12:54:41 pm »
Hiya! It's me again. Would you guys mind giving me a bit of advice on how to answer this essay question? I'm not quite sure what it's asking for. I understand I have to address sacred writings, but would I have to bring in bioethics in it as well? How would you go about structuring it? Last time, my essay feedback from my teachers were that I didn't quite address jewish beliefs as the overarching argument, and that I would pretty much have to do it for every essay but I'm still lost on how to link it seemlessly. Here's the question:

“Sacred writings draw on the wisdom of the past even as they give voice to the issues and concerns of the present.” (Anon.)

Explain how Judaism draws on the wisdom of the past to guide the lives of adherents today.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2017, 01:54:33 pm »
Hiya! It's me again. Would you guys mind giving me a bit of advice on how to answer this essay question? I'm not quite sure what it's asking for. I understand I have to address sacred writings, but would I have to bring in bioethics in it as well? How would you go about structuring it? Last time, my essay feedback from my teachers were that I didn't quite address jewish beliefs as the overarching argument, and that I would pretty much have to do it for every essay but I'm still lost on how to link it seemlessly. Here's the question:

“Sacred writings draw on the wisdom of the past even as they give voice to the issues and concerns of the present.” (Anon.)

Explain how Judaism draws on the wisdom of the past to guide the lives of adherents today.

Hey! ;D I don't think there is a set right/wrong way to approach this question, definitely many ways to tackle the structure and arguments!

I think Bioethics is the most natural choice. So, your argument would be how principles of Jewish ethics (particularly those with grounds in sacred texts) guide the adherents response to bioethical issues (EG - abortion). How are principles applied to issues?

If you wanted to incorporate beliefs, you would explore how the ethical principles are reflective of the key beliefs of Judaism. You'd probably structure your paragraphs in this way - So one paragraph per belief, going "This is the belief, these are the principles that reflect this belief, and this is how they are applied to guide the adherent in responding to bioethical issues." Rinse and repeat :) this is a tough structure but it can work incredibly well if done correctly!

I go into more detail here if you fancy a 5 minute read! :)

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2017, 09:01:52 pm »
Hey! ;D I don't think there is a set right/wrong way to approach this question, definitely many ways to tackle the structure and arguments!

I think Bioethics is the most natural choice. So, your argument would be how principles of Jewish ethics (particularly those with grounds in sacred texts) guide the adherents response to bioethical issues (EG - abortion). How are principles applied to issues?

If you wanted to incorporate beliefs, you would explore how the ethical principles are reflective of the key beliefs of Judaism. You'd probably structure your paragraphs in this way - So one paragraph per belief, going "This is the belief, these are the principles that reflect this belief, and this is how they are applied to guide the adherent in responding to bioethical issues." Rinse and repeat :) this is a tough structure but it can work incredibly well if done correctly!

I go into more detail here if you fancy a 5 minute read! :)

Oh okay!! I just haven't quite figured out the flexibility of SOR essays just yet so I was a bit sceptical with my perspective on it!. So thank you Jamon, I'll give that a go :) 

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2017, 10:14:28 pm »
Hope its ok just to post an introduction  ;D thanks legends.

How do the ethical teachings of Christianity guide adherents to live lives that are not selfish, but that are based on God’s wisdom? In your response, refer to bioethics

The ethical teachings of the Christian tradition guide adherents in living selflessly, and centre all aspects of living on the wisdom of Christ. These ethical teachings are drawn from sources of authority in the tradition, and can then be applied to contemporary issues of contention, such as bioethical issues. Bioethics incorporates the medical, scientific and theological aspects of actions related to the beginning and ending of life, and Christian adherents seek to consciously address what is taught in the Christian tradition in order to fulfill their beliefs. Thus, a Christian’s response enables them to continue living a life based on the wisdom of God, in accordance with the ethical teachings of the tradition.

really struggled with beefing this out! I'm finding it hard to write just an essay on just ethics  :o
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:50:42 pm by Snew »
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2017, 05:58:23 pm »
Hope its ok just to post an introduction  ;D thanks legends.

Hey Snew! Sorry mate, this totally flew under the radar, but definitely okay to post an intro! (doesn't count towards post requirement obvs)

Spoiler
How do the ethical teachings of Christianity guide adherents to live lives that are not selfish, but that are based on God’s wisdom? In your response, refer to bioethics

The ethical teachings of the Christian tradition guide adherents in living selflessly, and centre all aspects of living on the wisdom of Christ. How? This is basically a restatement of the question - Which is good, but not the most sophisticated approach. These ethical teachings are drawn from sources of authority in the tradition, and can then be applied to contemporary issues of contention, such as bioethical issues. Nice link/segueway into the specific area you will deal with. Bioethics incorporates the medical, scientific and theological aspects of actions related to the beginning and ending of life, and Christian adherents seek to consciously address what is taught in the Christian tradition in order to fulfill their beliefs. How? This seems a little vague. Thus, a Christian’s response enables them to continue living a life based on the wisdom of God, in accordance with the ethical teachings of the tradition.

I think this intro does the job, but a few things to consider:

How exactly do the ethical teachings guide adherents? You've said they do, and you've argued they are applied to contemporary bioethical issues, but I'm not quite getting HOW they guide the adherent to address these issues. I always found the easiest way to argue this is beliefs - Ethical teachings guide the adherent in APPLYING THEIR BELIEFS to the bioethical issues. All Christian ethical principles are based on beliefs in some way, shape or form - The teachings are then the guidelines of how to apply these beliefs and principles to real situations. This could be a thread for your essay structure too - Basing your paragraphs around the different beliefs :) I wrote a guide on this structure if you'd like a read!

You could also include the idea of dynamic/living religious tradition - That the application of principles to contemporary bioethical issues allows the beliefs/principles of the tradition to remain relevant!

I just think the Intro right now is very much just giving the question right back to the marker, without too much further development or evaluation. Including some of the ideas above will elevate it a little more, and may give you a stronger argument throughout the response too! :)

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2017, 08:17:34 pm »
Hey, I'm back! Hope it's okay for you to have a look at this intro for me. Thanks!

Assess the contributions of ONE significant person (other than Abraham and Moses) to the development and expression of Jewish beliefs and practices.

The prophet Isaiah has had a significant impact on the development and expression of Jewish beliefs and practices both in his time and centuries through the contemporary society. He was a prophet from Judah who began his ministry in 740 BC during the turbulent period of Assyrian expansion and the subsequent decline of Israel in the north. Known for his long ministry, Isaiah achieved the considerable status of ‘the prince of the prophets’ through his many significant contributions to the development and expression of Jewish beliefs and practices. Some of which are his oracles of the messiah, his warnings about punishment and salvation, his role as a political leader, and his passionate advocacy for social justice. Thus, it can be seen his contributions were undeniably significant to the development and expression of Jewish beliefs and practices.