Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:02:51 am

Author Topic: The Tennis Thread!  (Read 61524 times)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Re: The Tennis Thread!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 02:30:40 pm »
+1
How about Bernard Tomic?! I want him to win! :D

Also, who agrees with me that obnoxious grunting needs to be banned from the sport? I swear Maria Sharapova just does it to put off her opponents.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Seems madam?

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »
Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

I really hope Tomic and Stosur can make it to at least the semi-finals or finals this year. Especially Stosur, she's broken the top ten and has won a grand slam, she should be expected to run deep.

Aussie bias aside though, Federer is just amazing. Even though he's been beaten recently at slams, his style of place is graceful yet powerful, Nadal and Djokovic are far too reliant on their bodies to win games. As much as it is entertaining to see guys battle it out till the last man's standing, seeing someone dismantle their opponenet without even breaking a sweat is what is truly inspiring. Not only that he's a great ambassador for the game. Go Fed.

In regards to commentary, Jim Courier is hands-down the most insightful commentator going around. Sure he's unyielding in his convictions and sometimes can offend, but he's a personality and he stands up for what he believes in (and he's accurate most of the time).

Anyway, can anyone tell me what's going on with Federer's face? http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=Federer+mubadala&um=1&hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&biw=1227&bih=686&tbm=isch&tbnid=rSSWO7lly3BICM:&imgrefurl=http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2011/12/30/1769184_a1769179/djokovic-downs-federer-in-abu.html&docid=J3NRlyqAeMQloM&imgurl=http://media.tri-cityherald.com/smedia/2011/12/30/09/12/279-3uXKp.St.55.jpg&w=302&h=450&ei=Vb8HT5vkAYebiQeahsy8CQ&zoom=1 What is that thing next to his eye brow?

So who's going to the open this year? And can anyone let me know how tickets work? I heard if you buy a Rod Laver ticket you can't see the show courts or gain entry into Hisense, is this true?

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 03:02:04 pm »
So who's going to the open this year? And can anyone let me know how tickets work? I heard if you buy a Rod Laver ticket you can't see the show courts or gain entry into Hisense, is this true?

If you buy a Rod Laver ticket, you can access the outside courts as well (including the show courts and Margaret Court), but not Hisense Arena
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:27 pm »
How about Bernard Tomic?! I want him to win! :D

Also, who agrees with me that obnoxious grunting needs to be banned from the sport? I swear Maria Sharapova just does it to put off her opponents.

I love the grunting!! its hilarious! and I love Sharapova so maybe I'm just a little biased haha

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »

Almost definitely :)

Hisense - all outside courts not Rod Laver
Rod Laver - all outside courts not Hisense

aiming_95

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 10:04:42 pm »
In general, how expensive are tickets to see the Tennis ?

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 10:07:42 pm »
In general, how expensive are tickets to see the Tennis ?

$29 ground pass if booked before the day. Definitely great value in the first two rounds - great players have to spill over onto outside courts (always some good matchings if you study the draw).

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 11:41:55 pm »
True, Federer is one of the few players who play with a lot of elegance, it's not the Nadal sort of style, like there's a lot of "wow", but there aren't any moments where you just get drawn closer and closer to the edge of your seat and your heart starts to beat faster with every rally shot, I love how you can really get into the Nadal/Djokovic matches, they have an excitement about them, similar about Tsonga and other massive hitters.

If there's anything I could ask for in tennis, it'd be to watch complete matches without the commentary. They state the obvious so much, and just love talking during dramatic moments like right before a serve. Ruins the suspense. Muting is an option, yes I know.

Well you could always go watch it live at the courts!!

Dominatorrr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 09:43:59 pm »
+1
IMO Murray has got the skills but is too mentally weak to win a slam

Seems madam?

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 11:04:36 pm »
Thanks to the people who cleared up the whole 'which ticket gives you what access' thing. I really appreciate it.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 03:35:30 pm »
+2
Does anyone like Gael Monfils? I rekon that he'd be really good if it wasn't for injuries :(

Dominatorrr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:38 pm »
Awesome player to watch but he doesn't play the style of tennis that wins grand slams, and BTW he's still really good

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 10:10:01 pm »
Federer all the way:)
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

aiming_95

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 10:19:08 pm »
Got a feeling Djokovic's defence will take him all the way to the top.. (again)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 11:37:01 pm »
There's a lot of players who have flamboyant style but aren't consistent, i.e. Gael Monfils