Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 07, 2024, 06:46:17 am

Author Topic: On The Waterfront  (Read 3589 times)  Share 

jordanclyde

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Caroline Springs College
On The Waterfront
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:02:25 pm »
My Prompt:

‘On the Waterfront suggests that most people prefer security to justice.’ Discuss.

If anyone has any past papers or ideas or anything at all that would be helpful in helping me with this topic.
It would be appreciated greatly.

Otherwise, this is my introduction.
Just started writing 30 minutes ago
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:46:58 pm by jordanclyde »

latifa

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: On The Waterfront
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:02:00 pm »
Does anyone know what the 2011 insight english exam topic is for the"on the waterfront"??

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
Re: On The Waterfront
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:50:42 pm »
+1
In a way, I think that security and justice are interlinked concepts - one must be treated justly in order to feel secure in the first place. Like Pop Doyle, who is so affected by injustice and corruption of Friendly's operations, that he must return to work the very next day after Joey's murder and he wears a grim and uncertain expression on his face as he tells his fellow longshoremen "who's gonna pay for the funeral?". Even for Edie, who is uncertain throughout the entire film and adamant to find "who killed her brother" is only seen as being completely secure and relaxed drinking her coffee once Terry gives the testimony (and thus achieves justice for Joey's murder), and she assures Terry (but more so herself) that "it's all over"

I think that most people would prefer justice in any circumstance - it's not that most of the longshoremen are ignorant of justice, but in such a corrupt society where advocates of justice and truth are murdered by Friendly, one places self-interest over every other factor; so that most of the longshoremen are content solely with a feeling of security that is established through them being "D and D". As such, one of the longshoremen looks at Joey's body and says "you don't ask no questions, you don't answer no questions, unless you wanna end up like that"

However, some figures in the film completely remain passive towards the concept of justice - they'd rather feel a sense of security. Like Jimmy Collins, who remains obstinately "D and D" at the church meeting as Edie incredulously  asks him "how can you just sit there and not say anything?!" and Jimmy gives Terry the cold shoulder after the testimony as well. Also, the second priest in the church seems to desire security more than justice as he ends the meeting abruptly and warns the more didactic and moral Father Barry that "this is a police problem, not ours" - showing that the second priest would rather feel secure than advocate and fight against the injustice that the longshoremen are subjected to
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:53:53 pm by yearningforsimplicity »
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)