Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 26, 2024, 09:36:18 am

Author Topic: How will selection officers view me?  (Read 1069 times)  Share 

Rwalker

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: CAE
How will selection officers view me?
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:55:42 pm »
This is my situation. Completed Year 12 in 2010 with an ATAR of 71.2. Completed one year of uni with a GPA of 3.1 out of 4. Decided on a career change, and returning to Year 12 to complete Math Methods (and possibly Physics) to gain the pre-requisites for entry into an Engineering degree, (essentially a gap year). Since my pending Methods results will boost my 2010 ATAR (as stated by a VTAC official), and with my distinction-average GPA, how will the selection officers at say, Swinburne (Civil Engineering: 77), view my application, pending a revised ATAR beyond 77, will my university marks be taken into account at all? Or, since I will officially be a Year 12 student once more, will the selection officers rank/select solely on ATAR?

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
Re: How will selection officers view me?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:21:32 pm »
I think it depends on your classification - a mature aged applicant or a school leaver.

If you're a mature aged applicant then they will most likely interview you and just gather all your circumstances.

However if you're going in solely with an ATAR as a school leaver, then you will likely be tried as all other school leavers do, and then if you didn't get into the course as your first preference then you could apply for an irregular offer.

Or something of the sort. Can anyone else confirm?

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: How will selection officers view me?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:27:43 pm »
So you've done a year of uni so I'm presuming you're going to apply for Swinburne later this year?

Firstly, are you applying as a current year 12 or a non year 12?  Did you ask VTAC?

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research