Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 24, 2024, 09:54:33 pm

Author Topic: Confused about career  (Read 1225 times)  Share 

1ne

Confused about career
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:08:47 pm »
Hey guys, so I'm really confused on what I want to do at Uni. I know that I don't want to do the prestigious careers - Law, Med and Engineering. I sort of want to do Commerce but not sure if my intentions are 'right' for the job as I'm just doing it to get a stable job which has good pay so I can provide a good income for myself and family (I'm also interested in Business, entrepreneurship). Also keep in mind that I'm expected to get a very low ATAR score of 60s-70s possibly less. It seems like without Commerce, Law, Med or Engineering all the other careers are not as well paid - I know that I shouldn't be thinking about solely the money but I just want to give my kids the best opportunity in life. Please help me out. I've always from a young age enjoyed business - however it seems like it has a lot of high risk and I don't know where I'll get the money to start a business from. After Year 12, I'm thinking of taking a gap-year to volunteer in Africa and then work for a little bit, to just take some time to really think about what I want to do. Any advice?

Can you guys also please post why you choose your particular pathway and how much money played a role in that choice?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:11:35 pm by 1ne »

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: Confused about career
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:21:58 pm »
Be an electrician.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

iamtom

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Indubitably dubious
  • Respect: +35
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Confused about career
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:54:56 pm »
Hey guys, so I'm really confused on what I want to do at Uni. I know that I don't want to do the prestigious careers - Law, Med and Engineering. I sort of want to do Commerce but not sure if my intentions are 'right' for the job as I'm just doing it to get a stable job which has good pay so I can provide a good income for myself and family (I'm also interested in Business, entrepreneurship). Also keep in mind that I'm expected to get a very low ATAR score of 60s-70s possibly less. It seems like without Commerce, Law, Med or Engineering all the other careers are not as well paid - I know that I shouldn't be thinking about solely the money but I just want to give my kids the best opportunity in life. Please help me out. I've always from a young age enjoyed business - however it seems like it has a lot of high risk and I don't know where I'll get the money to start a business from. After Year 12, I'm thinking of taking a gap-year to volunteer in Africa and then work for a little bit, to just take some time to really think about what I want to do. Any advice?

Can you guys also please post why you choose your particular pathway and how much money played a role in that choice?

I'm choosing my career (computer science [fancy way of saying programmer]) because it's big, stable and pays well. Trick is getting into a job, though. I chose it because I enjoy computers, although I hate my course - not sure why, that's unrelated.

Money-wise, I'm first-year in university and it's already paying me okay... but I'm in it more for the experience. I work as a back-end programmer for a big Australian website/technology company, and my boss did computer science at Melbourne University and is now a full-time "entrepreneur" so to speak.
2013: Wizardry, life.