Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 08:40:28 am

Author Topic: Role of the amygdala?  (Read 1680 times)  Share 

pubsquash

Role of the amygdala?
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:26 am »
Is there any other structures in the brain that is also responsible for formation of procedural memories? Cause H.M. had his medial temporal lobes removed including both his hippocampus and amygdala yet he was still able to form procedural memories.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Role of the amygdala?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:07:50 am »
Is there any other structures in the brain that is also responsible for formation of procedural memories? Cause H.M. had his medial temporal lobes removed including both his hippocampus and amygdala yet he was still able to form procedural memories.
Nah the amygdala is used for the formation of implicit memories. The hippocampus is used for the formation of long-term declarative memories. And whilst I don't think it contributes so much to the formation of procedural memories, the cerebellum is a store for them and controls the sort of muscle memory function that comes along with it.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

pubsquash

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:26 am »
+1
But isn't procedural memory a type of implicit memory?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:47:30 pm »
But isn't procedural memory a type of implicit memory?
Oh for sure. By implicit I meant procedural. Sorry guys lol
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »
Yeah I got confused about that too, but apparently he didn't have his whole medial temporal lobe removed (even though that's what Grivas implies) so with the parts that weren't removed he was still able to form new implicit memories.

pubsquash

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 03:40:44 pm »
Yeah I got confused about that too, but apparently he didn't have his whole medial temporal lobe removed (even though that's what Grivas implies) so with the parts that weren't removed he was still able to form new implicit memories.
That's what I was thinking, but I've read quite a few resources and they always refer to the medial temporal lobe as a whole, rather than the hippocampus itself