Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 26, 2024, 05:28:32 pm

Author Topic: Extended response structure  (Read 6070 times)  Share 

miraj753

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: wesley
Extended response structure
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:46 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wondering how everyone writes their extended response/section 2?

I personally write a paragraph about purpose/context/register, then move through the subystems depending on how much there is to write for each

How do you guys set them out?

RTandon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Forever a fob
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Extended response structure
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:47:13 pm »
Exactly the same way!

I had my practice exam today for ENL and I wrote a little introduction about the purpose, context and audience and then moved on to talk about the different features. But I didn't do it in subsystems exactly, it was more groups of different ideas put together because for some of the things I didn't know which sub system to put in. I ended it with a comment on formality.
Accounting | English Language | Product & Design | Psychology | Business Management | Methods

A fashion designer in the making ;)

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:49:23 pm »
Hey guys,

I personally write a paragraph about purpose/context/register, then move through the subystems depending on how much there is to write for each

yeah, same!
always context first, then  i head to the relevant subsystems, and i tend to talk about the formality in each subsytem, rather than giving it its own paragraph.
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

miraj753

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:32 pm »
Exactly the same way!

I had my practice exam today for ENL and I wrote a little introduction about the purpose, context and audience and then moved on to talk about the different features. But I didn't do it in subsystems exactly, it was more groups of different ideas put together because for some of the things I didn't know which sub system to put in. I ended it with a comment on formality.

What exactly do you mean by different ideas put together?
One of my friends says his tutor wants him to sort things out by 'ideas in the text' rather than by subsystem, but i cant figure out how exactly to do that

Hey guys,

yeah, same!
always context first, then  i head to the relevant subsystems, and i tend to talk about the formality in each subsytem, rather than giving it its own paragraph.

Yeah i did that too, and then my teacher kept telling us to have the formality at the beginning
they haven't said anything about how to write it i guess, so there's no right/wrong way

RTandon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Forever a fob
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:12:52 pm »

One of my friends says his tutor wants him to sort things out by 'ideas in the text' rather than by subsystem, but i cant figure out how exactly to do that

I do it this way because I am almost never sure which subsystem it goes in. I've attached an analysis I did in Term 1, so it's not the best but my teacher seemed to like it!
Accounting | English Language | Product & Design | Psychology | Business Management | Methods

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 10:18:21 pm »
Exactly the same way!

Hey guys,

yeah, same!

Yeah i did that too, and then my teacher kept telling us to have the formality at the beginning
they haven't said anything about how to write it i guess, so there's no right/wrong way

mm
ive been told that, in the context paragraph, you just say something like... the register of this text is formal and ..bla bla.
i dont dwell on formality too much.
i state what it is,  - more formal, more informal, highly formal, etc etc
then prove that in my paragraphs.
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:25:13 pm »
I put all the contextual factors like audience, register, context in my intro. Then I split my paragraphs by relevant subsystems. No conclusion right?
2013: BSc at UoM

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:26:05 pm »
I put all the contextual factors like audience, register, context in my intro. Then I split my paragraphs by relevant subsystems. No conclusion right?

i think there is one lol ? havnet done one in a while, but i think there is! lol. hope im right

RTandon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Forever a fob
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:32:28 pm »

i think there is one lol ? havnet done one in a while, but i think there is! lol. hope im right

I never do a conclusion!

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:14 pm »
yeha sorry, went and had a look, no conclusion XD

Kaille

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • oohhh football friend?
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 12:16:29 pm »
How much do you guys normally write? because i'm struggling to push 500 words pooh!
B.Biomed, Melbourne 2013-

ldee

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:15 pm »
+1
Always structure mine like what most of you said, starting with an introductory paragraph that notes mode, function, register, audience and any underlying contextual features that I might not get to talk about later. Then I usually just go by subsystem, sometimes two paragraphs for one if there is a lot of content and it can be logically split. Then, if it's a dialogue, usually do one on turn taking, non fluency features, topic management etc. And no conclusion! :)

How much do you guys normally write? because i'm struggling to push 500 words pooh!
One of my strengths is that I can write a lot in a short amount of time, but my teacher is buying me a special pen to aid my handwriting, as the marker of our practice exam couldn't read half my responses :( But more on topic, I find that a lot of what I write is irrelevant or not articulated as well as it could be, so if you're writing 500 words but it is of a high standard, you should be happy with that.

Btw guys, was talking to my teacher today, apparently VCAA will accept subheadings in the exam for analytical commentary, so bare that in mind if it could help you (sure helps a few in my class).

julie9300

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 05:52:42 pm »
Could you lose marks if you don't do a conclusion? I tend to never do them cause I run out of time :P
2011: RAS (39)
2012: English Language (39) Further Maths (46) Japanese SL (38) Maths Methods (38) Psychology (44)
ATAR: 97.85

2013: BA/BSc @ Monash
2014-2016: BSc + Diploma of Languages (Japanese) @ Monash

miraj753

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 09:05:08 pm »

I do it this way because I am almost never sure which subsystem it goes in. I've attached an analysis I did in Term 1, so it's not the best but my teacher seemed to like it!

That's pretty good, i thought we had to use discussion of more subsystems though
still, better articulated than most of mine (Y)

and no conclusion needed, im pretty sure

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 10:08:29 pm »
That's pretty good, i thought we had to use discussion of more subsystems though
still, better articulated than most of mine (Y)

and no conclusion needed, im pretty sure

depends on the topic and text i guess.

i sometimes just do a paragraph on cohesion, and one on coherence, separate to my subsytems...