Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 06, 2024, 10:17:12 pm

Author Topic: PhB Arts  (Read 3145 times)  Share 

perpetual

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: MacRob
  • School Grad Year: 2013
PhB Arts
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:16:44 pm »
To put it simply - is it impossible to get into the PhB Arts with an ATAR under 99?
2012: Psychology (48) | Health and Human Development (47)
2013: Literature (38+) | French (25+) | English (45+) | Environmental Science (38+)
ATAR: 98+

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: PhB Arts
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:41:56 pm »
+1
Yes! I did it. Getting a high ATAR (I got 98.4) combined with having good references and other supplementary materials was really helpful for my application. According to your profile you don't finish high school until next year, but feel free to PM me when it comes to putting your application together.

perpetual

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:49:05 pm »
Aaaah, thank you so much!  :D
99 seems really unrealistic for me (especially with no science or maths) but over 98 might just be achievable...just.
I'll definitely take advantage of your experience, haha!
2013: Literature (38+) | French (25+) | English (45+) | Environmental Science (38+)

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:02:11 pm »
Yes! I did it. Getting a high ATAR (I got 98.4) combined with having good references and other supplementary materials was really helpful for my application. According to your profile you don't finish high school until next year, but feel free to PM me when it comes to putting your application together.

To be somewhat of a downer, they actually got rid of the non-ATAR part of the application in my first year. 

That said, you can DEFINITELY get in with an ATAR below 99 - there are people who get in even with high 97 scores (I'm talking 97.8+ generally, but still).  If you have any more questions, there's a few of us hanging around here, so we're willing to help.  :)
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

perpetual

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:54:17 pm »

To be somewhat of a downer, they actually got rid of the non-ATAR part of the application in my first year. 

That said, you can DEFINITELY get in with an ATAR below 99 - there are people who get in even with high 97 scores (I'm talking 97.8+ generally, but still).  If you have any more questions, there's a few of us hanging around here, so we're willing to help.  :)

Wow, so does that mean that they accept people based on how many places they have available, rather than how many meet the 99 cut off?

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:56:21 pm »

Wow, so does that mean that they accept people based on how many places they have available, rather than how many meet the 99 cut off?

I think so!  It might also be that they look at the kinds of subjects you took (they can probably afford to do this, since so few people apply :p).
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

perpetual

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »

I think so!  It might also be that they look at the kinds of subjects you took (they can probably afford to do this, since so few people apply :p).

Well hopefully when I do apply the fact that half my subjects are in the middle of Arts and Science aren't seen as a bad thing then  :-\

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:21:02 pm »

Okay, well I guess it still might be worth looking into whether the selectors would be interested in looking at other info by emailing them or something.